“Not Bad but Needs Some Work!”
Review of Public School 805

Public School 805
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Thousand Oaks, California
“Not Bad but Needs Some Work!”
Reviewed June 28, 2014

I've read reviews of this place that blast the service. Three of us went for lunch on friday about 11:45. The lunch people were just arriving...we were seated on the patio immediately...the waitress came quickly ...we were offered complementary soda water.
My wife had the "Moroccan Chicken Lettuce Cups" (8 bucks)..it's an appetizer...there were 3 little cups...I thought it was pretty small & skimpy but she liked it. My daughter had the "Tuscan Chopped Salad" (14 bucks) it was a large salad...she said it was OK but nothing special. I had the "Colorado Lamb Burger" (15 bucks). It was a Lamb Burger Patty on a small Brioche Bun with a cranberry jam, arugula & brie. As I said it was a small "Lady Size" sandwich and "Flat"...not much inside....although it tasted good but was a little dry. The main problem was...and I've never seen this before...the Bun was covered in a ton of oil! They give you a dish towel for a napkin so you can't wrap the sandwich in it. When you pick up the sandwich you get oil all over your hands...so you put it down and dry your hands on the towel. Then you keep repeating this all throughout lunch??? I asked the waitress for some paper napkins she said they only have the small cocktail napkins and brought me some. It came with a side of decent fries. The coffee was very good but I don't want to know the price.
Overall service & our waitress was excellent...portion sizes of the "ChickenCup" and the "Lamb Burger" were too small. The place was pricey for what you get but still an interesting menu...I think with some "Fixing" this could possibly be a winner.

• Visited June 2014

Simi Valley
“Fun for Mother's Day”
Reviewed May 15, 2014

Had a great Mother's Day lunch there. The waiter was upbeat and helpful. We got the mezze plate with hummus, baba ghanoush, tapenade, feta and crispy chickpeas served with warm pita and it was great to share. They even brought more pita when we needed it. Everyone enjoyed their food choice: lamb burger, tacos, chicken and waffles, and nicoise salad with seared tuna. It is a fun place to dine together with friends or family.

• Visited May 2014
Thousand Oaks, California
“finally a gastro pub for the thousand oaks area”
Reviewed May 14, 2014

great and inventive menu for both food and drinks.

been twice and everything was good. everyone that i have brought likes it too.

only thing is, i wish it used open table for reservations

from the Grill on the Alley Group

• Visited May 2014
Oxnard, California
“Sat at the bar”
Reviewed April 1, 2014 via mobile

We walked in and there was no host/hostess for the duration that we stood awkwardly (about 15mins), so we decided to walk in and just sit at the bar. At the bar we waited another 10min or so until we were greated. Having never been here before this put us off but we decided to wait it out and hope the food was worth it. The selection is minimal but unique and delicious. Once the bartender finally greated us he was veru friendly and helpful. I only gave 3 because of the delayed service, I really wish they hadn't taken so long. It was a Sunday night and they were not busy.

Westlake Village, California
“It's a restaurant”
Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

When I first saw public school 805, I thought it was a tutoring center for kids, but that is not the case. It is a restaurant with takes on school classics like the pizzas and the burgers and making them gourmet. It really gives you the vibe of being back in school and to your childhood (minus the bad cafeteria food). I had one of their oven baked pizzas. It was probably one of the best pizza I've ever had. I also had the ahi tuna tacos fors an appitizer. They were little bland in my opinion, but my son loved them. For dessert we both shared the lemon meringue. It was way to sweet and tart and pretty much couldn't eat it. Overall, this place is a fine establishment and is a must go. I would just stay away from there deserts and stick with their burgers and entrées.