“Just ok”
Review of Tomodachi

Tomodachi
Reviewed February 11, 2013

We had dinner here on a Friday night. It was not especially busy but there was not a drink menu so we had to ask the server what beer and wine they had and she did not seem confident in her answers at all and inded did not have some choices she thought they had. They were out of a few sushi selections but oddley when she told us, she added "but you have ordered enough anyway"...strange. The rolls are really small. We felt it was overpriced for the portion sizes. We never leave Sushi hungry, but this was a first for us. We ended up heading elsewhere to have dessert to even feel full. We won't be back. There are too many other good restaurants in the area.

Reviewed July 2, 2012

This is a small little place tucked away in a strip mall. Nothing fancy but amazing fresh sushi! Everything we had (yellowtail, salmon, tuna, halibut, mackerel, scallops, etc) was great!

Reviewed April 4, 2012

This restaurant has the best sushi! After my favorite sushi chef left another local sushi place I was squandering trying to find another sushi place that I absolutely LOVED. I tried a lot (and I mean A LOT) of mediocre sushi before I was fortunate enough to come across Tomodachi Westlake Village (they have other locations that I have not been to so I can't comment on those). My boss took me here for lunch and I was HOOKED!! The Japanese scallop sushi is the best I have ever had. No soy or other sauce needed. It is already sauced. Also, the spicy yellowtail here is wonderful. The yellowtail sashimi with jalapenos - also no sauce needed - delicious! And the cucumber roll with shrimp tempura and salmon (can't remember what it is called) is one of the best cut rolls I have ever had. The chefs here are great! I definitely recommend sitting at the sushi bar, if you can. Nobu is my favorite chef but they are all really creative. I have never had anything here that I didn't like!

Reviewed June 14, 2011

I am a frequent visitor to Tomodachi - both the Westlake and Newbury Park locations. I have tried other sushi places and I am always disappointed - thinking about how it's just not as good as Tomodachi.

Tomodachi flavors are fresh and clean, not buried under mayonaisse or thick sauces. The quality of the food is excellent. Sit at the sushi bar and you will not be disappointed.

Top dishes are: Cajun Tuna Sashimi, Alaskan Roll (salmon outside, spicy tuna and shrimp inside), Spicy Tuna on Rice Biscuit.

Reviewed April 20, 2011

Have the Tomodachi Roll, you will be back for more.