I have to agree with some of the reviewers on here that point out that this hotel is getting much higher ratings than it deserves. Considering the improvements made to most Holiday Inn Express properties in the ast few years, this hotel lags behind in many ways:
When I review a property I rate based on multiple criteria and then average my ratings to give an overall review. This helps people see how I feel about specific aspects of the hotel. I also like to mention that I compare hotels against each other no matter where I am. I don't give allowances for being in a certain location. The hotel business is global and so are my reviews.
5 Stars - Excellent. Best you can get anywhere.
4 Stars - Above average
3 Stars - Average
2 Stars - Below Average
a Star - Awful
Decent looking hotel, and looks fairly new. Brick and stucco it lacks any interesting design but is not offensive either. Most of the parking is underground which I like. The grounds, if you can call the limited space around the hotel grounds, are clean and tidy. The hotel sits next to an ugly gas station, and ugly storage complex, and an ugly strip mall so these detract from anything the hotel has going.
Overall rating: Average 3 Stars
Nice people, the guy that checked me in was a bit short and cranky, but not rude. The breakfast lady is very nice. Overall, just average though.
Rating: Average - 3 Stars
If you are here in this location, you probably have some reason to be close to something. Otherwise I have no idea why you would ever stay in this area. The port is nearby and there are a couple restaurants not really worth mentioning. The area is plain ugly, a cross between 70s strip mall and industrial 1950s. There really is no where to walk if you like that or much else really. Probably the worst part of this review is the location.
Rating: Poor 2 Stars
Interior - Lobby and such
It's small (which doesn't bother me) but clean and nicely furnished. Too dark for me (what's up with these hotels trying to look like a mens club from 1918) and a bit busy, but otherwise nice. The TINY business center is clean and ok, and the breakfast room is fine. Still, nothing but average.
Rating: 3 - Stars
Nothing much here. The laundry is in the garage and there is no gym which drops the rating to below average. There is a cross between a hot tub and a swimming pool, which seems to make it not either... The hotel has decent, but not great, WiFi as well.
Rating: Below Average - 2 Stars
Decent room. Nothing to shout out about, but it was clean, everything worked, and it had a window that opened. I really like windows that open. The AC/Heat was a bit weird tended to either make it really hot or really cold. The bed was nice, not great. I hated the way they made the bed though. Had to practically unmake it every night to even get the sheets and blankets up around my neck. The room had a fridge and a microwave which is nice. Still nothing special here.
Rating Average - 3 Stars
Awful, just awful. The worst I've had for a complimentary breakfast in a long time. Plus it really never changed. How many time can one eat biscuits and gravy (biscuits that were baked around the time of the civil was and are so stale they will NEVER soak up the gravy). The cereal is so stale and so sugary and processes I could eat it. Fruit must be a dirty word save bananas and coolest thing in the breakfast room (the pancake machine) was broken most of the time. If you are vegetarian there is little to eat and for vegans forget it.
Rating Awful - 1 Star
Surprising for California this hotel seems to care little for the environment. The only thing worth mentioning is that the rooms had motions switches ad CFL bulbs. Other than that there was no mention of a towel policy and it appeared that they changed my towels every day. Cups and such were styrofoam and plastic. There was no recycling or composting and everything in the breakfast room was styrofoam and throw away.
Rating: Poor - 2 Stars
Rating: 2.375 rounded down to 2.
Notes: There are a couple more hotels around this neighborhood and they are actually worse. There are much better places another mile or 2 away and I'd recommend going further out.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Holiday Inn Express Hotel West Sacramento, California, is a 100% smoke-free hotel in the Sacramento area, conveniently located just off Business 80 and Harbor Blvd. It is two miles from Downtown Sacramento, Old Sacramento, State Capital, Raley Field, Sacramento River, Port of Sacramento and the Sacramento Convention Center. We provide excellent facilities and a prime location for the business or leisure traveler. All rooms have free high-speed Internet connection. Airport shuttle service is available with a charge. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Priceline, IHG, Travelocity, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, HotelsClick, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your Holiday Inn Express - West Sacramento reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express - West Sacramento Hotel West Sacramento
- Holiday Inn West Sacramento
- West Sacramento Holiday Inn