“Great value. And there was that fan.....”

Holiday Inn Express - West Sacramento
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in West Sacramento
So-So Cal
“Great value. And there was that fan.....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2012

This Holiday Inn Express is snugged between the freeway and a self-storage yard in a largely commercial-industrial area of West Sacramento. My trip was to Davis, but all the hotels there were full up, and West Sac. is only 10 minutes away. The hotel was relatively new and immaculate, the beds comfortable and the towels thick and thirsty, but the rooms were rather cramped. Another foot in each dimension would have made all the difference. Wireless internet was a little pokey, and the mini fridge in my room didn't work. Considering the location, the hotel was surprisingly quiet, except for the air conditioner, which made the racket and a rush of air of an F-18 hitting the afterburners. It was a hot night and the thing kicked on every 20 minutes or so through the night. Expect to be woken.

Room Tip: Recommend back away from the freeway.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank mvdljca

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Kent, England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

It's a long story, how ended up here for three nights. Too long to bore you with. This is the first Holiday Inn I've stayed at in 20 years. And likely the last. I just don't get this place at all. The desk clerk, Sophie, the in-house breakfast cook and support staff are all good employees --- but the rest of the place left me baffled.

First, there's the parking. Big rigs are parked in the small parking lot 24/7, as if the hotel rents out parking to these massive cabs on a weekly basis. This means the rest of us, the actual hotel guests, get to squeeze into the small dark garage.

Then there's the room which is small and dark, with a single small window that barely opens. The first night we were there, a bright ceiling light in the room would not turn off all night, no matter what we did. The next day, the handyman told us this was an ongoing problem with newly installed sensors.

The location looks and sounds like an all night truck stop, right next to the freeway. And yet the prices, $135ish a night, are what you expect to pay for a solid 4-star hotel, not a 2-star place in no-where-land.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MarshaCoupe
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express - West Sacramento, responded to this review, June 5, 2012
Dear MarshaCoupe,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving such a detailed review. I am deeply sorry you found our hotel less than satisfactory. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas, We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Katie J
IHGCare
Yakima
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2012

I was doing business in West Sacramento and grabbed this hotel on the fly as it was very convenient to the highway. It was also less expensive than several of the comparable airport hotels. The hotel was fine. My room was comfortable and I had a lot of work to do and had no troubles with the wireless internet.

I walked to one of the nearby restaurants for a quick dinner. It is a decent area but I wouldn't necessarily want my wife walking around there in the evening by herself.

The staff was courteous and I had some last minute presentations that I was able to print out from their small business center. They lent me a stapler and I printed around 20 pages so that was convenient. The breakfast was typical Holiday Inn Express. Nothing fancy, but enough to get you going. There were also warm cookies in the evening. They actually told me there were some, and I went to look and they were gone, so I told the front desk and she hopped right up and whipped up another batch which was appreciated. That was all the good.

The hotel could use a thorough cleaning and a little more upkeep in their primary traffic area. There was a spill in the elevator that stayed there for at least a couple of areas and the dining area could have been swept/vacuumed a bit more. Nothing shockingly bad, just a bit of TLC is needed to get it spruced back up.

If I was in this area I'd stay again, but, I prefer downtown Sacramento or some of the airport hotels. If I was traveling with my family this would be lower on my list of places to stay. For my business purposes it worked out great. It was convenient, on the way for my associate who was picking me up enroute from the Bay area, and affordable.

Room Tip: I asked for a room not facing the highway side. I settled for two beds instead of a king but it was...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Anderson, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2012

BEWARE OF THIS HOTEL!!! We had a confirmed reservation at this location but we got stranded overnight in Phoenix with our plane. We called the 800 number to cancel but were told we never had a reservation with this Holiday Inn in the first place, in fact, we were told this 3 times during the phone conversation. We stayed at a Holiday Inn in Phoenix (which was great!) and once home, I called the hotel to make sure we didn't get charged for the night at West Sacramento. Not only did we get charged, the owner refused to refund it, even though we showed we stayed in another Holiday Inn in Phoenix, and even though it's documented that we called the 800 number to cancel. We have stayed at the West Sacramento location before, but will NEVER do so again. Many of our friends use Holiday Inn also, we do motorcycle tours and that is where we always stay. We will be spreading the word to others not to use this location! (May I add that the main guest services at Holiday Inn is refunding our money as they realize we did exactly what we were supposed to do in canceling and rebooking. Kudos to the company, just not this particular location!!)

Room Tip: If you run into ANY problems you will be on your own with this hotel...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Steven R
Bermagui, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2011

We stayed here one night because we had an early morning flight the next day, and the airport hotels were much more expensive. We were completely satisfied with our experience. The room was quiet and comfortable (a bit cold when we arrived, but that was easily fixed), the bathroom was clean and had all the amenities we would expect from a Holiday Inn Express. The breakfast in the morning was better than average. Without traffic, it took us about 15-20 minutes to get to the airport. The staff was uniformly courteous and helpful.

We like Holiday Inn Express hotels in general, and this did not disappoint. We would definitely come back if we needed to stay in the area.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2011

Perfect visit. Wonderful staff. Good AAA discount. Clean. These are my new favorite "Go To" places to stay. This one hit every detail perfect.

• Stayed October 2011
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2011

Everyone working here was friendly, kind and made me feel welcome. My room was quiet (a big plus for this light sleeper) and comfortable. I liked having a small refrigerator in the room. The wifi was fast. The morning breakfast was quite nice. There were scrambled eggs, bacon, biscuits and gravy, and the usual continental fare. I should have tried the pancakes, but didn't want to incur the calories. Even the coffee was good.

The gas station next door has a great drive through car wash. Perfect if you're making that road trip and your car needs a little spiffing up before meeting with clients.

The only draw back is the neighborhood. It seems to lack good restaurants and the ones that I found on Trip Advisor were a little scary looking or more fast food quality. Take a little drive (about 4 miles) over to Old Town Sacramento and you'll find Joe's Crab Shack.

Room Tip: My room was on the side away from the freeway and very quiet. I'd avoid the rooms on the freewa...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near West Sacramento
Hampton Inn & Suites West Sacramento
Hampton Inn & Suites West Sacram...
#1 of 15 in West Sacramento
Extended Stay America - Sacramento - West Sacramento
Extended Stay America - Sacramen...
#3 of 15 in West Sacramento
Holiday Inn Sacramento-Capitol Plaza
Vagabond Inn Executive Sacramento Old Town
Embassy Suites by Hilton Sacramento - Riverfront Promenade
Rodeway Inn West Sacramento
Rodeway Inn West Sacramento
#6 of 15 in West Sacramento

Been to Holiday Inn Express - West Sacramento? Share your experiences!