“Beautiful closed roof top pool!”

The London West Hollywood at Beverly Hills
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in West Hollywood
Reviewed November 16, 2010

After receiving many many emails from the London Hotel promoting their beautiful roof top pool, I decided to take my two teenage daughters there to spend a weekend lounging at the pool. After a long day of travel we arrived at the London Hotel at 2pm to find our room that we reserved was no longer available and we had been "upgraded" to a smaller room for the same price. This seemed very insulting to my intelligence. I was also extremely disappointed to be told "and by the way the pool will be closed the rest of the day (a hot Friday afternoon) because someone was having a roof top wedding and had reserved the entire pool." I was told we could be shuttled a couple of miles away to use another hotel's pool. This was unbelievable to me and very upsetting to my daughters who I had sold the hotel to them based on the pool. I couldn't imagine a hotel of this calibre that was willing to put out every single guest of their hotel to accomodate one! The other thing that blew me away was I was only home one day and received an email from the London Hotel promoting their rooftop pool! This was laughable! Beautiful hotel with beautiful rooms but very very ugly customer service policies and lack of five star vision.

Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank DrFtheTravelGuy
LondonWestHollywood, General Manager at The London West Hollywood at Beverly Hills, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2010

Dear DrFtheTravelGuy,
Thank you for taking the time to provide us your feedback. I do apologize that you encountered our pool closure during your past stay with us as well as a poor check in experience. I have shared your comments with my team to improve the quality of service we provide. I hope you will consider staying with us again in the future so you may allow us the chance to provide you with a much better experience.

Many thanks again for your comments,

Vincent Mercurio

Write a ReviewReviews (1,805)

Reviewed November 15, 2010

I would happily stay in The London on my next trip to LA. This is why:
- great location in WeHo
- good service - lots of staff
- when the hotel was refurbished they did a good job - not only on the lobby, but also the rooms/bathrooms
- my room was spacious with a very comfortable king-size bed and a view of downtown LA
- bathroom amazing: the size, the tiles, the smell, the amount of towels, the lighting
- brilliant breakfast concept: small but perfect selection - with the offering changing slightly from day to day. Great attention to detail. Try the berries served in a glass.
- free internet, free breakfast (I'm sure this is accounted for in the room rate but why don't more hotels do it this way?)

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed November 10, 2010

As many other reviewers have said, The London really is a chic, well-appointed hotel. It is a breath of fresh air in terms of design, and the suites are spacious and luxurious.

I am currently staying here with my boyfriend for six nights, and have mixed feelings about the hotel. On the one hand, the location and design are second to none, but the service we have received has been inconsistent, to say the least.

The valet people and housekeepers get 5 stars from me, for their friendly demeanour and exceptional service. However, it's the front desk staff that really let the team down. To call them arrogant would be putting it nicely, but to say they are deceitful and sneaky would be more accurate!!

We arrived this morning to see if there were any rooms available for the following 6 nights. We asked to view one of the rooms with a balcony, and were taken to room 210, which was beautifully light-filled with a large balcony and wonderful view overlooking the city.

Feeling quite impressed at this point, we agreed to take that room, and were promised that we would be getting that particular room (room 210). We booked the room and left for a short time. Upon return, we were then told that room 210 was actually not available because it had been booked by another guest, but we would get room 201 instead. I asked if the rooms were the same, and was told "yes, the rooms are exactly the same, it's just the view that is different".

When we were taken to room 201, they were right, the view WAS different. Our balcony was directly facing a brick wall, NOT the view that we were shown before. To just say that the view was different was nothing but a bold-faced lie. They showed us a room with a beautiful view, and when we agreed to take it, they secured our credit card, and then gave us a room with a view of a crappy brick wall and barely any natural light when we were promised the other room.

I don't know if it's usual hotel procedure to purposely deceive guests like this, or if it was just a front desk attendant who thought he was being clever. As soon as we saw the brick wall, we asked to change rooms, and another attendant said that there was in fact another room with an identical view to the first room we viewed, and that we could have that room.

So if this was available, why did they give us the crappy brick wall room to begin with, and say that nothing else was available?? I call it sneaky, shoddy service. They showed us a great room to get us to buy it, and then gave us a crappy room and LIED about not having anything else available.

The bathroom is absolutely beautiful with a large double-head shower, deep separate soak tub and gorgeous tiling. I would say the bathroom is the best thing about the entire suite.

It is such a shame about the service, because the hotel itself is gorgeous and in a great location, but the deceitfulness has left a definite bad impression.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LT84
LondonWestHollywood, General Manager at The London West Hollywood at Beverly Hills, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2010

Dear LT84,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us and your many kind comments! Please accept our apologies for this situation regarding your room assignment, this was not our intention. I have shared this and discussed with my front office team to ensure this will not happen again in the future. I sincerely hope you will enjoy the remainder of your stay and I appreciate your feedback.

Warmest regards,

Vincent Mercurio

Reviewed November 8, 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 6 nights in October. I would say that in general I am difficult to please when it comes to hotels and I expect certain standards to be met. This hotel ticked nearly every box for me.
The location is basically right on Sunset Boulevard which meant that you were in the heart of things. There were numerous restaurants, bars and nightclubs in the area. I'd recommend 3rd Street for foodies and Sunset for after dark.
The overall appearance of the hotel is understated luxury. It's not old fashioned or fussy/chintzy but it is more reserved/refined than say a Philippe Stark hotel. Everything had a plush feel to it from the felt clad walls in the corridor to the uber comfortable couches and beds.
The rooms were very large with huge bathrooms. All finished to a high standard. The standard rooms look out onto San Vincente Blvd and can be too noisy after dark. I'd suggest the tiny $10 upgrade to the rooms on the other side of the hotel that have a nice view of the city and Sunset while being much quieter. The dressing area was a welcome addition and there was plenty of storage space. The mini kitchen was useful although the mini bar was extortionate. Not unexpected though.
The balcony was nice to sit out on a nice evening but it was overlooked.
The free breakfast was an excellent touch and was delicious. It was an abundant array of fresh food that was very welcome. We didn't have dinner on site but we did order room service and that was incredibly tasty also. Bravo to the Gordon Ramsey restaurant team!
The free barrista service until 3pm daily was also a very nice touch.
The staff were at all times, courteous, informative and very friendly. I haven't a bad word to say about them and they added to the overall experience.
The rooftop pool was the only real disappointment of the stay. It's much smaller than I expected and very non-descript. There are lovely views of the city from the terrace but frequently there were private events on during our stay and so the pool was closed on numerous occasions. Yes we were offered a drinks reception by way of compensation but if I'm in LA I want to enjoy the sunshine, not drink indoors in the middle of the day. I do think there is room for improvement in this area. I understand that private events are great sources of revenue for hotels but surely the regular guests must take priority? At least try and limit the pool events. As even when it was open there was a seemingly constant stream of people with clip boards coming to view the area, measure it, discuss how their event would look at it.....this should all be done early in the morning so as not to disturb guests.
That said it was only a minor quibble in what was a fabulous stay. We will definitely be back and can't wait to check out The London New York!

Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 26, 2010

Spur of the moment trip to LA with the boyfriend. Stayed for a night before hanging up our party hats and heading back to real life
There was an event at the hotel (movie premiere) and even though the valet and lobby was a bit chaotic, check-in was a breeze. The clerk was polite, but not really friendly until I revealed that the nature of our stay was to eat, drink, and have fun, haha.
The room had a balcony great view of an outdoor area a few floors below. The room itself was huge, though I feel like it could have done with a bit less furniture to open up the space/view. The bathroom is big with plenty of mirrors and light and the shower head feels amazing, especially after a long flight. Lots of soft towels & the toiletries smell sooo goood. Thank god for the mini fridge with cold bevvies I so deperately needed the next morning
As a result of the event, the rooftob bar was closed but guests could enjoy complimentary champagne & wine on the outdoor area on... the 6th floor, I think it is. :)
Anyway, free wine means neither of us remembered what happened after sundown, and the strange girl passed out in the tub - while we were sprawled out on the comfy bed - or the phone numbers written in smeared lipstick on my arm and smeared eyeliner on his arm meant a wild night.
Much needed recovery at breakfast downstairs. Assortment of meats, cheeses, fruits... Everything you need after a night like we had.
Needless to say, I cannot WAIT for another trip to LA

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 18, 2010

I recently stayed at the The london and everything from the rooms, food, service, and friendly staff exceeded my expectations and I can be quite picky. If you are searching for quality your search is over and do yourself a favor and book at the London. Great location and every staff member was friendly and helpful, I looked for something to make a negative comment about and could not find one thing. What a great experience thanks to The London West Hollywood for a memorable vacation.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 15, 2010

I remember when this was the old Bel Age hotel and the renovation is spectacular. The vibe is sleek, cool, sexy and comfortable and the rooms are big and stylish and very comfortable.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
The Jeremy West Hollywood
#8 of 19 in West Hollywood
Central L.A
Sofitel Los Angeles at Beverly Hills

Been to The London West Hollywood at Beverly Hills? Share your experiences!