“Very mixed feelings, so read on....”

The London West Hollywood
Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in West Hollywood
North Yorkshire
“Very mixed feelings, so read on....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2010

We booked this hotel after seeing in national newspapers, Cheryl Cole (UK pop starlet) emerge from a "luxury hotel in LA". We were impressed enough to find out more through Trip Advisor and other websites, and thought what a great holiday that would be to celebrate my husband's 'special' birthday. So, in February we booked up, 1 week, in June. We booked a Veranda suite as the hotel's website showed a picture of a Veranda suite, great views over Los Angeles, 2 sun loungers, perfect for a chill out on those days we wanted to give the sightseeing a break.
I read some recent reviews (one of which has since been removed from Trip Advisor), and were not very complimentary and the one which was removed was quite worrying (mentioning drugs, partying etc), so I contacted the hotel about my concerns, and was told by Alice Laing (The Guest Relations Director) that our experience would be a positive one and that our room would be everything we hoped it would be. Okay - so that placated us, and off we went. We arrived late evening from an 11 hour flight, so were very tired and in need of our room. We were shown to our room by Todd (very helpful). Todd was quite surprised that we were given this particular room given that we were staying for 7 nights; the room looked straight onto a high white wall, had only 1 sun lounger, and even in the dark we could tell that we would not be spending our days in such a depressing place. Todd recommended that we ask at reception for a room move in the morning. So, we didn't unpack, just removed the things we needed to go to bed and get ready next day. After breakfast (which is complimentary and excellent), we went to reception to ask for a room move. I was quite surprised to see that one of the girls behind the reception desk was Alice Laing (from her name badge); we introduced ourselves to the receptionist beside Alice, and Alice seemed to turn her back on us and walk away, not wanting obviously to introduce herself to us and ask how our room was etc. Not good for a Guest Relations Director. Anyway, after explaining the situation, we were told that there were no rooms for at least 3 days as the BET awards had booked out some 90 suites that weekend. Having no idea who or what the BET awards were, we just thought we'd resign ourselves to the very poor view (which is completely misrepresented on the hotel website - apparently there is only 1 room fitting the description on the web site, the rest of the veranda suites have poor to very average views), and all have only 1 sun lounger. Off we trundled back to our room, unpacked, and thought we'd make the best out of it that we could, no point in ruining the holiday for the sake of a room move with possibly the same or only slightly better view. We were told the room with the view was booked out for the duration of our stay!
That night, around 1a.m, there was an almighty commotion in the corridor outside our room. Lots of screaming (in LA not really a good sign!!), then lots of laughter (OK nobody was in danger then), then lots of door slamming. I heard a woman banging on a door asking for the noise to be reduced. I rang the reception desk to let them know about the noise and disturbance, and was told they would send up a security officer to check it out. \Through the spy-hole I could see the female occupant of the noisy room (who I will refer to as Party Girl) negotiating with the security officer. I overheard her telling him that her party of 12 people (all in her room) had ordered room service food and drinks, and that she would not end the party until they had eaten. He told her that other guests were complaining about the noise levels, and that she shouldn't have that many people in her room. He was very good, but she had the upper hand with him, she told him that she was a regular at the London Hotel and the New York sister hotel (also The London), and that she would report him to the GM the next morning, and he would lose his job once she had done this. I was livid; so I rang the reception desk once more to let them know how he was being blackmailed into allowing her party to continue (I was informed that the woman was indeed a regular and should know that the hotel is not a party hotel) Not a party hotel - hold that thought!!. Next thing was that she was being told that the hotel would open up the pool deck for her and her party, and put the outdoor fire on, and deliver her food and drinks to the pool area. Hmmm... I wonder what would have happened if it was me wanting this sort of treatment!! This woman clearly wielded some power (money!). Thank goodness, they all dispersed out of her room and up to the pool deck, and sleep - albeit restless after such a disturbance - ensued.
The next night, we rudely awoken at 2a.m by not one party but about 5 parties - either side of our room, above our room, and along the corridor. Bags of ice were being delivered to the rooms at this hour of the morning; more and more people were arriving at the parties; the noise levels were getting louder. Doors were being constantly slammed. Lots of people on the verandas (now we know what they are used for - and it's not sunbathing); lots of shouting to other party goers across the verandas. I called the reception desk again and told them what was going on on the 2nd floor and above on floors 3 and 4. They'd had other complaints and the security officer was already on his way up to check it out. I looked through the spy-hole (very handy little things) and saw that 2 security officers were knocking on the party rooms, and asking the occupants keep the noise down (not telling them I hasten to add that parties were not allowed in the hotel). Well, needless to say that around 20 + people in one room (multiply this by at least 5 more rooms) under the influence of much alcohol and goodness knows what else, does not necessarily make for a quiet party. The noise got much worse, so I rang down again. I was absolutely passed myself at this point with tiredness and that this holiday was fast becoming a nightmare birthday celebration for my husband. The security officers came back and emptied about 3 rooms (they actually moved the party on to another room on another floor - poor neighbours!). However the room above continued its shouting from the balcony and creating other noise which wasn't conducive to sleep until 6a.m. Then all went quiet, but it was too late for us, we had been awake all night and were totally past any possibility of rest at that time. We had our earliest start (I mean even at home we don't start our day this early), went to the reception desk (I had emailed Alice during the early hours to vent my frustration, to let her know I was very unhappy and that her promises of a room that would make our stay a very positive experience was not materialising). I told them at reception of the night before; Alice offered us a free meal in the Gordon Ramsey restaurant to make up for the lack of view. We refused this, as the view would always be bad, even with a free meal thrown in. I think she was quite shocked that this was not taken up, but it wasn't freebies we wanted, we wanted a decent room, and a decent sleep. Neither was seemingly possible at this hotel. We were asked to have breakfast (again very nice and the hotel's saving grace), and return to the reception desk afterwards. Once again we were told that there were no rooms (there was one, next door to Party Girl - we declined this one on the grounds that I might have done her an injury if she had further parties!!). The BET awards people were checking out the next day and then we could have a new room. Our holiday was nearly over at this point, and we questioned to ourselves the sense of moving (packing everything up/unpacking again/repacking a few days later to go home) so soon to leaving, but decided that we needed to sleep more than anything else. The view was now not an issue, sleep was.
We moved the next day to the 8th floor, the traffic noise from Sunset Boulevard was not a problem, especially with door closed. The view of the immediate area around the hotel is an eyesore -the Viper Room -( infamous for being once owned by Johnny Depp, and where River Phoenix died of a drugs overdose) - is particularly seedy and unsightly. The immediate area of Sunset Blvd is tacky, sleazy, and dirty. Lots of vagrants and wino's hanging around, and generally not a pleasant/safe place to be. But the view beyond the immediate area went up to the hills; and up to Downtown LA skyscrapers, so fairly scenic, on a clear day, although most days were in a fog.
The staff were on the whole friendly and helpful. The food was excellent. The hotel is classy. The area is awful. You need to get a taxi everywhere (unless you hire a car). There is a mythical "Hotel Car" (a land rover I believe), however we were never told about it, or offered it. I feel that this car is reserved for guests who are dripping in bling and will tip in figures I can only dream about. I am disappointed in this attitude; in the same way as the parties were never going to be curtailed, but just relocated, so as not to upset the well-heeled clientèle. I will add that this well-heeled clientèle are not necessarily good mannered or cultured, they just have money, and money cannot buy class, they have little respect for other folk, and are generally rude. This is where the hotel's 'bread and butter' comes from though, so obviously they will not upset these guests. The hotel know that we will not return, so we are already upset, and no amount of remedial action will put this right (I assume this is how they think). They forget however, that back home, everyone is asking me how the trip went, and what the hotel was like, and of course good old Trip Advisor, were the truth will out.
To sum up and conclude:
The Good:
*The staff (except some reception staff and Guest Relations Director - goodness knows how she got the job);
*The food (Breakfasts were excellent, the afternoon tea was good but a little sickly; the Boxwood Cafe was a bit better than average (a waiter was a bit over the top/formal in his service
delivery; chicken slightly undercooked/pink);
*The suites (rooms) - large, well laid out, nice bathrooms, but large enough to have a party!
The Bad:
*The misrepresentation of veranda suites on hotel website
*The fact that I booked our room in February and they could not find a good enough room (and away from the obvious party crowd)
*There was nothing to acknowledge my husband's 'special' birthday (not even a welcoming bottle of wine) - having read some reviews on Yelp, the hotel leaves a complimentary bottle of bubbly in the room, chocolates, flowers; but we got nothing.
*Bad attitude from the Guest Relations Director - clearly not a people person.
*The "House Car" not being offered as a mode of transport, not even for our special dinner reservation on the night of my husband's birthday. Instead we had to sit in a flea-pit of a taxi with a strong smell of something dodgy being previously smoked. What a nice touch it would have been to have been offered the house car (they knew were going out and where to as they booked it for us).
*Remember to put the clasp on the door to prevent people waling into your room - we were frequently disturbed by staff want to clean carpets, remove or add something to the room, housekeeping etc, and unless you prevent their access, they will just walk in, regardless.
*The hotel is very clearly a party hotel; people go there to party in the rooms, this was made very apparent in the review which was removed from Trip Advisor. The hotel will not prevent or stop the parties (it brings in lots of money from the alcohol consumed from the mini bar, and food from room service, and of course many of the party people are regulars, so random guests from the UK who are not likely to return will not be taken seriously). Bottom line is if you want to sleep, then don't stay here.
The Ugly:
*the area outside the hotel - just horrible and grotty.

Would I book another stay here? No way!! You have now been warned (oops sorry, I mean informed) ;o)

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
9 Thank NYfoody4321

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (350)
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2010

Our stay last weekend at the London West Hollywood was so spectacular that I can't say enough good things about it. We had a Vista Suite on the 7th Floor and it was huge! If I could figure out a way to take the shower home with me, I would have. It is a terrific walk in shower with a rain faucet on one side and a standard jet faucet on the other. We also had a very large separate bathtub that looked inviting, plus two closets and a makeup table complete with electrical outlets, a good mirror and a comfortable bench. The king bed was very comforable as was the circular sofa. There is a small alcove with a sink, honor bar, and single cup K-cup coffee maker with a good assortment of K-cup coffees. And the service! From the front desk staff to the valets and bellhops and on to the restaurant. Everyone knew us and acted delighted to see us. They couldn't have been more helpful or friendly. They even got us directions back to the hotel when we were hopelessly lost on a Friday evening. The food at the restaurant was pricey but worth it. We enjoyed our stay so much that we may come back to Los Angeles for no other reason but to stay here!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Carefree, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2010

Arrived last weekend for second visit in year. When checking in was told by handsome man with accent to expect a "beautiful suite." on 4th floor. Thought I would go for a swim before my meeting. Pool was closed for private party. Hurried out the door, returning at 11 PM and noticed there was No Bathtub...I wanted to take a bath! My husband took a shower and the bathroom floor was quickly flooded. Left early next morning for art tour returning at 9 PM to find our room was not made up and used towels were still on the wet floor! When I mentioned this at checkout the receptionist said she was sorry but I did receive three updates! What updates? No bathtub, no clean towels, no service! I don't get it. This hotel has really gone down hill. (I didn't even know they had suites without bathtubs!)

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank cdeldeo4
Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2010

This Hotel is magic...

It was our honeymoon and all the staff said to us Congratulations. They are very gentle and soooooooo nice.

Our room, Vista Suite, was clean, with a beautifull view like they said on their website.

Kirk at the front desk was a great man and very polite.

Thanks to all of you !

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LadyMysteriis
Paris, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2010

This was my second time at the London West Hollywood. My family and I go to LA for the holidays each year and have stayed at numerous hotels--we like to try something new each time--but the LondonWH was SO nice, we had to go back. The first time we stayed there, December 2008, we had the best time and we loved the views of LA --which are magnificent--especially in the morning and evening. The entire staff is extremely helpful, friendly, and professional. They try to help you as much as possible and it shows--my mother needed to go to a pharmacy and asked the concierge where the closest one was, he called one of the Range Rovers and drove her there for free. The restaurant (Gordon Ramsey) is also really great and highly recommended, even for breakfast. We stayed there again in December 2009, and it was just as nice. I can't say enough good things about this hotel. The restaurant, and the rooftop pool/lounge area make it a real stand out.

• Stayed December 2009
Dhahran, Saudi Arabia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2010

We stayed at the London February 2010. This isn’t a bad hotel, I just expected more. The location is excellent, unless you plan on spending most of your time at the beach. The room was decent. Our room had panoramic view stretching from downtown Los Angels in the east to UCLA and beyond to the west. The balcony from which I enjoyed this view was shabby. It clearly hadn’t seen maintenance in some time. The balcony collected water from the rain, and therefore had a water puddle which covered about 30% of it. The balcony doors had crude all in the grooves.

I selected this hotel because I wanted to stay in West Hollywood, and dine a Gordon Ramsey The London. I purchased a promotion called From London With Love, which included breakfast in bed

When it came time for us to check out, there was a discrepancy on the invoice. They tried to charge us for the breakfast, since we had it in our room. I explained that is was part of a “romance package” that clearly stated breakfast in your room. The front desk clerk didn’t know anything about this promotion, which was even more frustrating. I got resistance to providing us this part of our “special package” from room service from room service to the manager at the front desk. The front desk clerk even tried to get me to pay, $20 towards the bill. After much discussion (about 20 minutes), they removed it from my bill.

BTW: Gordon Ramsey The London, is way over priced, it’s crowded. I did not feel like I was having a fine dining experience.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Newport Beach, California
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,118 helpful votes
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2010

My partner and I had to stay in West Hollywood for the LA Gay Pride celebration this past weekend, at which my partner's company had business functions. After reviewing all of the nearby properties, I decided we should stay at the London due largely to its glowing reviews herein and because its location was so convenient. I must say that we were impressed and would almost certainly stay here again should business or leisure require us to be back in West Hollywood overnight.

First and foremost, the London is a beautiful hotel--very Hollywood glam with a little Art Deco flair, but done in a modern, refined and balanced manner that we both found very pleasing.

Second, the location was stupendous for us--just a few blocks walk to Santa Monica Blvd and just around the corner from Sunset. For our purposes, this is the best located property in all of West Hollywood.

We had a Crowne Suite for $365 a night. The room was large and open, with a nice seating area adjacent to the bed and a nice-sized bathroom and shower. Our room (465) was right above the porte cochere on the corner towards Sunset, so it was a bit noisy on our balcony but totally quiet inside our room. We lacked the impressive views offered on the other side of the hotel, but since we live in Newport Beach that wasn't an issue for us. (Still, I'd recommend requesting a city view if you can get it.) For the price, considering some other nearby hotels were at $200 a night because of the Gay Pride event, it was reasonable in our estimation.

Service was pretty good. Staff were very friendly and accommodating. It's LA, so you expect the good-looking staff to not always follow in their levels of service, but the London impressed us in this regard. On Sunday we ordered room service for breakfast, and the waiter brought us an extra cranberry juice at no charge because he thought we might want it for the second person. Nice touch. Room service was pricey, but it was also quite good.

We had drinks with friends at the rooftop bar area. It's a very swank hang-out space with the pool, cabanas, etc., and glorious views of the city. I liked it better than Sky Bar at the Mondrian almost immediately. More spacious, friendlier staff, etc. Drinks aren't cheap--my double Macallan 18 turned out to be $90, which is a rip, but they did give me quite the generous pour. We have come to expect prices like in LA, so it didn't turn us off from the hotel--but be forewarned if that bothers you!

We had dinner with friends on Friday night at Gordon Ramsay's restaurant there in the hotel. Very chic decor, and very good food--I'd give it 8.5 out of 10. Maybe higher except for a few minor details. Service was very good. But VERY pricey. Even pricey by LA standards. So I wouldn't probably dine here again unless staying at the hotel and wanting that convenience.

All in all, we were both very pleased. We would gladly stay here again the next time we need to be in West Hollywood for a weekend and highly recommend it to those whose budgets permit.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
The Beverly Hills Hotel
The Beverly Hills Hotel
#1 of 15 in Beverly Hills
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,120 reviews

Been to The London West Hollywood? Share your experiences!