“Service is appalling - would NEVER stay again!”

The London West Hollywood
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in West Hollywood
Bristol
“Service is appalling - would NEVER stay again!”
Reviewed February 26, 2010

Where do I begin with reviewing the poorest example of a 5 star hotel I have ever stayed in?

The hotel itself is a pretty ugly building, but then again most of LA is full of ugly buildings. The decor inside the hotel is very plush so you forgive such an ugly building. Check in was okay but they have this ridiculous concept where you have to put your key card in the lift/elevators every time you use it. It becomes a pain especially when they key cards are extremely temperamental.

We got in late the first night of our stay having driven from Vegas where we got married. This was supposed to be the first leg of our 8 week honeymoon and we even added this information to our notes on booking but not once did anyone mention anything. We ate in the Boxwood Cafe (which is where we get out complimentary breakfast each morning). Food was average but what wasn't average was the prices. $12 for a bottle of water?!!! This is something I will never forget for the rest of my life. How can they charge $12 for water?! A glass of coke/soda is $6 too. Needless to say we didn't eat in there again.

Our room was big and the style is supposedly modern but in my opinion it looks very 70's. They have these cheap Jetson style mirrors on the wall and a disgusting lime green kitchenette and dining table. The room just doesn't hang together well. The bed was okay but the pillows were as flat as pancakes. The shower is however good but the room is very dark. Housekeeping only came 2 during our 7 day stay! and even then it was a slap dash job!

Room service has a $4 surcharge and a 20% gratuity added. You can't get ice from an ice machine, you have to call room service. The management retain the right of charging you $30 to drink wine/champagne bought off premises in your room! Parking is $34 a day and the Valet takes forever to get your car out. It's very disorganised and it's a bit of a circus really.

We had vouchers for breakfast. But the complimentary breakfast does not include anything hot so please be aware of this. If you want hot items it's another $7. But there are 2 breakfasts on the menu that look nice and those are the ones that you have to pay full price for ($24). I would strongly recommend you don't go for the breakfast option if you stay in this hotel. It's a rip off. The Boxwood Breakfast is a table with some tiny pastries on, a bit of fruit and cereal and some smoked salmon. I think we paid and extra $40 a day for breakfast so felt short changed when all we had was a continental breakfast (and a poor one at that!).

The service in the restaurant is appalling. I have never witnessed so many snooty miserable servers in all my time in staying in hotels. It was almost as though we we're interrupting their private little existence. One morning I had eggs for breakfast and was charged $5 the next morning I was charged $7. I know it's only $2 but I feel the hotel would charge you for using your own toilet in the room. They just seem to want to charge you for just about anything.

One server caused a scene one morning where this woman had been having a soda with her breakfast every day and wasn't charged fro it. Then this morning the server wanted to charge her $6. She made the woman feel really stupid and then woman just agreed to pay it in the end. The matter was resolved and the server still insisted on sending the manager over again to reconfirm she should have been charged. It made very uncomfortable viewing and they dealt with it in a very amateur manner.

Needless to say our entire stay here was depressing. Having paid top dollar for what is supposed to be a luxury hotel we had the worst experience of service (lack of) in any hotel we have ever stayed in. You may as well stay in a holiday apartment because none of the staff talk to you and are very snooty and up themselves.

Perhaps because we didn't have a flash car (as it was a hire car) Perhaps if we were a bit more bling they would have ran around like little lap dogs for us like it seemed they did for the very well dressed guests?

We might not be famous, we might not have designer luggage, we might not be over styled and dripping in diamonds but no one deserves as a paying guest in a hotel to be completely disregarded the way we were at the London West Hollywood.

If it's impersonal and rude you want - then stay here. I wouldn't go back and stay if they paid me.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
12 Thank Shell4Andy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (356)
London
Reviewed February 23, 2010

Very, nice generous size rooms, good location, the staff were slightly sniffy, better staff at the Beverly Hills Hotel. The one negative is the key situation.

The Keys as hotel keys can be are erratic. you have to use a key to work the lift , sop there is a lot of hassle going to get the keys cut, plus the staff make you show ID to get a new one cut even if you show them the old ones and if they recognise you.

this is not good and irritating, shame because great hotel otherwise, put the staff and their attitude from the Beverly Hills Hotel and it would be 10 out of ten.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank henderony
Gold Coast
Reviewed February 22, 2010

We booked on the net and got a good rate. The room was huge with great views of Los Angeles city, the bathroom was enormous and very stylish, in fact about the best I have seen. The bed was huge and very comfortable. The hotel areas were immaculate and lavish. The hotel restaurants and the room service were also really good, and not bad value. Overall a great experience to finish off our holiday in the States, we will definitely be staying again. Only suggestion for improvement, is please replace the silly little ironing board. Otherwise one of the best boutique hotels as far as we are concerned.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GeorgeMilly
Madrid
Reviewed February 21, 2010

I'm not gonna bother you repeating all the positive details that so many reviewers have specified in their posts. They correctly specified them and I completely agree with them.

All I can say is that my Wife and I simply did't find half a fault in this amazing and glamorous place.

The suite was amazingly huge, impeccably clean and absolutely quiet. The bed was one of the most heavenly ones I'ever slept in, the bathroom was so roomy and comfortable, and the balcony was generously sized and had incredible views of Sunset Blvd (as one member of the staff said, "just the view, not the noise") and the Hollywood Hills.

The complimentary Internet access is simply a sign of excellence, considering how stingy some hotels can get with their absurd Internet nightly rates.

One thing: Do not leave the hotel without having enjoyed an evening while at the rooftop pool. Impressive views of L.A in all its sprawl, with Downtown in the background. At night, with all the city lights on, it gets particularly stunning.

Now for the hotel staff: It's true that we are not the kind of people that will ask three thousand silly or not silly questions. We just say "good morning", "good afternoon" and so, and keep minding our very business unless we really need to ask something very specific.

In fact, the only question we asked the staff during our stay was where the business center was located, because we were leaving for Maui the following morning and we wanted to print our boarding passes. They said: "Oh, don't worry. We'll do that for you". They kindly asked us for our locator, printed the boarding passes, and sent them to our room (thank you, James!). This is just an example, but it was all like that. We were really thrilled with the kindness with which we were always greeted by every staff member, and that's always something to be thankful for.

Summing up, we really could not have asked for more. We will gladly return very soon (most likely next summer) to The London West Hollywood Hotel. I think it's the very best value for money when it comes to a great, luxurious stay in the very heart of the lovely Sunset Strip.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank OperaOnTheTurnpike
fla
Reviewed February 20, 2010

Great location, Great service, valet speedy, concierge booked popular restaurants and was sweet. Very clean immaculate, tasteful art deco decor. 3 course lunch was superb. Room was spacious (except closet) and the bed was one of the most comfortable pillowtops I have ever slept on, high count thread sheets were very soft. The bathroom was gorgeous! The tile work stunning. No complaints whatsover. When I go to LA again I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Holly M
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 19, 2010

The London Hotel surpassed my expectations with it's impeccable service, excellent perks and roomy accommodations. Every inch of the hotel was spotless from the amazing rooftop pool to the lobby, and the staff couldn't have been more accommodating.

Any Brit traveling to West Hollywood will love the free phone calls to London and free Wi-Fi for all guests. The food was consistently outstanding from room service to Gordon Ramsay's restaurant offering seasonal food selections.

I highly recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to be within walking distance to the heart of West Hollywood (Santa Monica Blvd.) or just to have a little get-away with a private suite and balcony. I definitely will stay again at this location upon my next trip!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
Long Beach, California
Reviewed February 14, 2010

I came here the Friday before valentines day for a girls night out.

Location- right off of sunset blvd/san vicente 1 block from the Viper Room. It's a $8-$10 dollar cab ride away from all the clubs.
Room- amazing! We stayed in the London suite and it was huge for 4 people. Beds were soft and comfy. Nice view from the balcony.
Bathroom- huge! It's the nicest shower and has a big tube. Good lightening and space...enough room for 4 girls to get ready in.
Pool- great views and beautiful. Pool is not really for doing laps, more for lounging. Nice chairs, towels, and they also had cabanas.
Service- was really good until my friend locked herself out her room and got stuck in the elevator on the way to the pool. She went down to the lobby get another key and they were not too friendly and demanded that she provide ID...how are you supposed to show ID when you locked yourself out of the room?
Cons- room service is pricey. You get slapped with a $4 delivery charge plus 20%.
No ice machine, so you have to call and have them bring it to you...the process takes a bit of time.
Parking is $32/day.
Pros- next to everything! I walked down the street to Clafoutis for breakfast...it was delicious. All of the main clubs are just a short cab ride away. Wifi is free in your room.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
The Beverly Hills Hotel
The Beverly Hills Hotel
#1 of 15 in Beverly Hills
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,134 reviews

Been to The London West Hollywood? Share your experiences!