“Impressed by the London”

The London West Hollywood
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in West Hollywood
Toronto, Ontario
“Impressed by the London”
Reviewed November 10, 2008

The London West Hollywood is chic and fantastic. The rooms are ultra comfortable and spacious with a large sitting area and flat screen HDTV. The bathroom is gorgeous. We found the staff to be very helpful at every step, from the desk staff (sent us a nice card and champagne because we were on our honeymoon), the valet guys, and especially the concierge who confirmed our dinner reservations, printed out directions and even booked a hair appointment for me at the Warren-Tricomi salon. We did not eat at the Gordon Ramsey restaurant, but stopped for a quick drink, and it is STUNNING inside. The location is great if you want to be in the middle of West Hollywood near shopping, restaurants and bars.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mrsgraph

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (359)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed November 9, 2008

We stayed at this hotel several times back when it was the Bel Age. As time went on, the hotel did not keep up with maintenance and updating so we moved on. We were really looking forward to coming back to this location and we were not disappointed. The look of the hotel is really outstanding. Very cool looking but not over the top or too trendy. The design comes across as modern elegance.

Our room, a London Vista suite was large and came with a great sweeping view of Los Angeles that is worth the extra money. The layout with the bed and large couch in the middle of the room was a nice change from the standard set up you find in most hotel rooms. There was a nice selection of fabrics and materials used that gave the room a great look and feel. The lighting was excellent with many options to create different moods. As many have mentioned, the white Waterworks bathrooms are large and very nice, if not a little on the hot side. Our only complaint about the room was the closet set up that is a little on the tight side and did not allow us to put either of our bags in the closet.

Two highlights of the hotel are the Gordon Ramsay restaurant and the roof top pool. The restaurant’s dinner menu was not for our taste but we enjoyed an excellent breakfast and the décor of the space is worth a visit on its own. The pool area has outstanding views of the Hollywood Hills and of the LA basin. There are some very nice cabanas available for a fee, or you can just hangout on one of the very comfortable lounges. The setting created is almost clublike with the pool in the middle. This is the one area of the hotel that some may feel is a little too trendy or too much of a scene. I wanted to swim laps one afternoon but passed because I did not feel comfortable doing so in the middle of a party atmosphere. This area is good size but many people did get shut out each day on the weekend. The gym is also located on this level, and is nice but not much to talk about.

The location of the hotel is perfect for LA, close to many areas you will want to check out and within walking distance of the fun Sunset Plaza area. We had the chance to visit the nearby and newly renovated Mondrian. The design theme inspired by Alice Through the Looking Glass is very interesting, and the rooms are very cool. It is definitely a trendier hotel so it depends on what you want. For us the London was the prefect combination of California cool and Hollywood glamour without being too pretentious.

• Liked — Spacious and stylish rooms.
  • Disliked — Pool can be crowded and too clubby.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank J_and_A_1
Connecticut
Reviewed November 6, 2008

I needed to travel to West Hollywood for 2 nights to visit friends and then we were off to Hermosa Beach. I was hesitant about the hotel because it looked so ultra chic and fancy on the website... However, it was the best decision that i made for the family. The rooms were huge (650+sq/ft), a couch, table, flat screen tv, coffee table, huge bathroom, bathtub, seperate shower. My 2 year old had enough room to play and run around and did not feel so cramped in the usual 350 sq/ft hotel rooms. The hotel provided a cute crib, an infant bathtub and a welcome back filled with bath time items for my 5 month old. The staff were incredible nice to me and my kids. they knew my sons name by the end of the short stay.
Although the food and drinks were expensive, I didn't mind at all.
I enjoyed everything about the hotel. Great location too.

• Liked — Spacious rooms/Staff
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank MyTwoSons08
New York
Reviewed October 27, 2008

Stayed for the weekend. Room was superb. Top - Notch. Absolutely no complaint about that area. Food, overall, was terrible. Breakfast was a disaster. Hated the menu. Service was non-existant. I like the pool. Staff ( Naidra & Audrey ) were great. Food , again, was horrible. The sushi was warm. Is it sitting out ?? Sliders over cooked. Drinks are expensive.
Overall, the hotel needs to address staff attentiveness and what's coming out of the kitchen.
And one more thing, having to put your key in the elevator to operate is maddening.

• Liked — The Room
  • Disliked — The food
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
Bishops Stortford, Hertfordshire
Reviewed October 22, 2008

This is a fantastic place to stay in LA and comfortably one of the better hotels i have ever stayed at. It isn't cheap but well worth the money, especially the Gordon Ramsey breakfasts!

The rooms are hugh with massive bathrooms. Everything is included with all creature comforts and the level of detail is superb. The service couldn't be faulted. We even had an issue with our breakfast being delivered to the room one morning and they called to say would we have a complimentary breakfast the next day so they could show they can do it properly.

Like i said, expensive but not ridiculously so but well worth the money. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this

• Liked — The bath was huge, the gordon ramsey breakfasts, where do i start....
  • Disliked — It was a touch more expensive but still worth it
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank NickMiller
Victoria, BC
Reviewed October 16, 2008

I loved The Bel Age.
I stayed there many times in the past including during the week of my wedding and honeymoon.

Looking at pictures of the new London I was concerned because I like the hotels I stay in to be warm, inviting and fairly traditional.
The facelift has brought a real modernist elegance to this property and upon seeing my room for the first time I was taken aback at how luxurious and comfortable it felt.

The roof top pool has been majorly improved, in my opinion, and it felt like a party up there every time I went. Not a noisy out of control affair just full of energy.

My only complaint is with the lobby staff.
I found everyone to be fairly young and a bit aloof. In the past the doormen would never fail to open the door for me when I arrived back from a day our and more often than not they would address me by name.
Several times I entered the hotel and the door staff seemed to preoccupied with chatting to each other to even acknowledge me let alone open the door.
The quality of service has suffered a bit in this overhaul.
Sad, but not a deal breaker.

For those who don't know, this hotel is located basically on the Sunset strip. It is directly behind the Viper Room, kitty corner to The Whisky and just down the street from The Rainbow, The Roxy and The Key Club.
If you are into music this is about the best hotel location-wise you are going to find in LA.

It's also just down the street from one of LA's best bookstores, "Book Soup".

Bottom line:
A much needed "freshening up" has made the rooms, hallways, elevators and pool come together in a sleek, modern, and yes, comfortable delight.
Just don't expect a lot from the lobby staff.

• Liked — The cohesive design of the decor
  • Disliked — The lack of personal attention and warmth from the young staff.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank Rawb
santa barbara
Reviewed October 15, 2008

We have stayed at this hotel twice in the past few months and have really enjoyed it. The rooms are lovely & spacious and we loved the layout. The rooftop pool is nice and the food which we were served while up there was good. My only issue is that the service by the pool was lacking and, on top of that, the bill had a 20% gratuity included for the 4 of us which had lunch. I guess that is why the service is shoddy and the servers know that they are going to get a great tip no matter what. We will stay there again but this time we will just expect poor service by the pool. The food in the actual restaurant is fantastic and the service there is great. So overall we do suggest you stay at this great hotel.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
Beverly Hills
The Beverly Hills Hotel
The Beverly Hills Hotel
#1 of 15 in Beverly Hills

Been to The London West Hollywood? Share your experiences!