“Nice Change”

Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in West Hollywood
Boston, Massachusetts
“Nice Change”
Reviewed October 2, 2008

Having stayed at this location when it was the Bel-Age hotel, I was eager to see the new property. Got a great rate for 3 days on their web site. My prior experience with the Bel-Age left me very dissapointed. Rude staff with a major attitude, over priced rooms that were in need of a face lift. I am happy to say that none of the old hotel is left. Very eager and friendly staff, nice new rooms and pool area.

I booked a king room and was amazed at the size of both the room& bath, but also the balcony. The room was huge over 700sqf. Great bed, I-pod clock radio, large flat screen tv. Great mini bar, with sink and coffee/tea station. The bathroom featured a large soaking tub, a stand up shower for 2 w/2 shower heads offering great water pressure. The balcony was more or less like a small court yard. I was on the second floor and did not have any view other than a wall, I did like the size of this area which had a large table for 4 and plenty of chairs. If you are looking for a view, asking for something higher. I was fine with it.

This hotel has a roof top pool offering 360' views of WEHO, Century City and downtown LA. Service was friendly and fast. The pool it self is average in size, but they lounge chairs are very comfortable and each has an umbrella that can be raised or lowered at your choice. You can also sit at large tables or couches along the edge. Overall a very trendy pool scene.

I did not eat at the property at all. I was with friends who live local so never needed to eat on site. The location was good for a quick walk to some restaurants.

Overall a nice improvement over the old Bel-Age. For the price I paid, I got an amazing value at a great hotel.

MISC:

Valet Parking only -- 45 per night.
Internet - a fee for a 24 hour use (don't remember the price)

• Liked — Room and roof top pool
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
2 Thank travelerUSA21

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
NYC
Reviewed October 1, 2008

This new hotel has lots of buzz, but still seems to be working out the kinks. Service, with some exceptions, was sleepy and distracted, our room was attractive but seemed cold and cave-like. The rooftop pool was the biggest disappointment: dingy, and the heavy smog hanging over the area made it seem even more gray and unappealing. Most of all, we just felt like, for the money, we’d seen this “minimalist chic” look before. It has a really nice location right off Sunset and some pretty landscaping, but we we’re told our rate was a below-market introductory one, and we still felt we paid too much.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank SkyClubNYC
New York
Reviewed September 30, 2008

This is a newly converted hotel and as such it is very nice and modern with everything brand new. The rooms are very nice and very big, with huge bathrooms. The hotel has a very nice pool on the roof but no spa. I am no expert on LA and not a big fan but the location seems to be quite good. I only have a couple of negatives. 1. We did not eat at the Gordon Ramsey restaurant but we were told the food at the pool was from Gordon Ramsey's kitchen which was a little strange since most of the lunch menu items were sushi......anyway the food was not very good and very expensive, the drinks were also incredibly expensive at the pool. 2. This could very well be standard for LA, but I thought the $30 valet parking was way too much. All in all we would stay here again if we come back to LA

• Liked — rooms
  • Disliked — food
Costa Rica
Reviewed September 30, 2008

We loved our stay, rooms are fantastic, service at check is very fast and friendly. Decor is very modern. Gordon Ramsey restaurant is hard to get a table. Serves at the roof top pool could be friendlier and more attentive. Would definatly stay there again and again.....Great concierge!!

• Liked — Room, decor, location
  • Disliked — Service at the pool, hard to get a table at the restaurant
1 Thank Haehner
Hurst, Texas
Reviewed September 29, 2008

This hotel drips luxury and elegance at every turn. It is also an LA hotspot at night.
My wife and I were lucky enough to stay here 9/17/08 for a night and can not wait to get back.

The service was flawless and we were greeted by each staff member every time we were met.

The rooms are spacious. We had a room with a veranda. The veranda is roomy with a view of the city. The room is earth tones of brown and green. The bathrooms are huge. I am 6'3" and could practicly lie down flat in the bathtub. There is also a shower with a rainshower head and a handheld nozzle for optimum cleaning.

The room had an iHome, flat screen tv, and sensor lights that came on gently in the bathroom if you had to get up in the night.

I had mentioned on my reservation that it was my wife's birthday. When we got to our room there was a bottle of champagne, and a fruit tray with a nice card to her. Nice touch.

With each call for service, we got prompt response. Then, we got a follow up call to see if we were happy with what we asked for.

The pool area on the roof is like something you've seen in the movies. It has private cabana's you can reserve, lots of wait staff, a beautiful pool overlooking LA, and a full service bar.

Next to the pool is a fitness area. There are treadmills with a view, and behind those, a really nice gym with all the state-of-the-art equipment you would ever need for a good workout.

Finally, the location of this place is right around the block from sunset strip. My wife and I walked to most of the places we wanted to go because it was so close to so many entertainment venues. The hotel does offer a courtesy car, but we didn't use it.

If you like being pampered and treated like royalty, this is your place.

• Liked — Luxury and service
  • Disliked — absolutely nothing
2 Thank txump
NY
Reviewed September 26, 2008

I don't usually write reviews, this will be my first. I just fell in love with the staff here and feel they deserve recognition. Let's see.

The hotel is beautiful, rooms are huge and the bathrooms are heaven. I could drown in the tub. Everything is very clean and tidy as well.

The food is touch and go. It was a bit of a let down. The tomato and mozzarella salad is pretty good. The omelet is very good as well. The hash browns are addictive. The herb roasted chicken is very tasty, I ordered it twice. The bread I feel should have been much better and served warm and fresh. I wasn't to thrilled with their club sandwich or burgers. Their fries are not nearly what they should be for a hotel of this caliber, they are crunchy and bland.

The bar rocks. Very nice selection of wines and spirits as well as treats.

The staff is outstanding. They couldn't do more to help and everyone is so friendly and helpful. James, louis and julia are great. My tv did break 3 times but within ten minutes there was someone up here to fix it.

I will definitely be staying here again upon my return to LA.

• Liked — The staff.
  • Disliked — the food and no free wifi
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank Screwtheroses
Luxembourg
Reviewed September 16, 2008

I stayed four nights in a Crown Suite. Excellent arrival and check-in procedure.

The room was very spacious. I didn't exactly love the decor but it's a very comfortable room. There was quite a lot of street noise since the room was located on a corner towards Sunset Boulevard and the windows offer very little soundproofing.

The bathroom was huge; not luxurious, just big and empty and while the shower with two shower heads is funny it is pretty useless.

The old windows and low ceilings reveal that it's an old property which has been renovated.

The hotel is conveniently located. The Sunset Plaza with all the restaurants and shops are within easy walking distance.

We didn't eat at the Gordon Ramsay restaurant because we didn't really like the look of the place

The gym was a big disappointment. Limited equipment in a closed room on the roof. However, the complimentary laundry service of workout wear is excellent. The rooftop pool area is very pleasant.

In my opinion the service was comparable to any other luxury hotel but the overall hotel experience is not as great as what the usual top luxury brands can offer. However, the rates at the London West Hollywood are only half of what the big luxury brands ask and, therefore, I actually think that the LWH hotel is excellent value for money.

• Liked — The spacious rooms
  • Disliked — Low ceilings
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Beverly Hills
Viceroy L'Ermitage Beverly Hills
Viceroy L'Ermitage Beverly Hills
#3 of 15 in Beverly Hills

Been to The LondonWeho at BeverlyHills? Share your experiences!