“The Staff is Outstanding!”

The LondonWeho at BeverlyHills
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in West Hollywood
NY
“The Staff is Outstanding!”
Reviewed September 26, 2008

I don't usually write reviews, this will be my first. I just fell in love with the staff here and feel they deserve recognition. Let's see.

The hotel is beautiful, rooms are huge and the bathrooms are heaven. I could drown in the tub. Everything is very clean and tidy as well.

The food is touch and go. It was a bit of a let down. The tomato and mozzarella salad is pretty good. The omelet is very good as well. The hash browns are addictive. The herb roasted chicken is very tasty, I ordered it twice. The bread I feel should have been much better and served warm and fresh. I wasn't to thrilled with their club sandwich or burgers. Their fries are not nearly what they should be for a hotel of this caliber, they are crunchy and bland.

The bar rocks. Very nice selection of wines and spirits as well as treats.

The staff is outstanding. They couldn't do more to help and everyone is so friendly and helpful. James, louis and julia are great. My tv did break 3 times but within ten minutes there was someone up here to fix it.

I will definitely be staying here again upon my return to LA.

• Liked — The staff.
  • Disliked — the food and no free wifi
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank Screwtheroses

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
Luxembourg
Reviewed September 16, 2008

I stayed four nights in a Crown Suite. Excellent arrival and check-in procedure.

The room was very spacious. I didn't exactly love the decor but it's a very comfortable room. There was quite a lot of street noise since the room was located on a corner towards Sunset Boulevard and the windows offer very little soundproofing.

The bathroom was huge; not luxurious, just big and empty and while the shower with two shower heads is funny it is pretty useless.

The old windows and low ceilings reveal that it's an old property which has been renovated.

The hotel is conveniently located. The Sunset Plaza with all the restaurants and shops are within easy walking distance.

We didn't eat at the Gordon Ramsay restaurant because we didn't really like the look of the place

The gym was a big disappointment. Limited equipment in a closed room on the roof. However, the complimentary laundry service of workout wear is excellent. The rooftop pool area is very pleasant.

In my opinion the service was comparable to any other luxury hotel but the overall hotel experience is not as great as what the usual top luxury brands can offer. However, the rates at the London West Hollywood are only half of what the big luxury brands ask and, therefore, I actually think that the LWH hotel is excellent value for money.

• Liked — The spacious rooms
  • Disliked — Low ceilings
3 Thank jmalux
London
Reviewed September 5, 2008

We are a family of four and have just returned from 7 nights at the London West Hollywood. I can't begin to say how fantastic it was. What a pleasure to return our hire car each day to the valet service. All extremely professional and very friendly (not in a have a nice day fashion though!). Concierge was excellent and very helpful but the rooms were something else. Huge marbled bathrooms and a room with enough space to really unwind. Quiet air conditioning (a must for me) and huge beds with feather pillows that are beyond belief.

We didn't eat at the Gordon Ramsey restaurant but the location is great, just off Sunset Strip, with many restauarnts. Just around the corner from the Beverley centre, Rodeo Drive etc

I honestly can't think of a single thing wrong with this hotel and I have stayed in many .

We are not fancy people but this hotel really made us feel special

Exteremely highly recommended

• Liked — Absolute Luxury
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank GAKLondon
Laguna Niguel, California
Reviewed September 5, 2008

My husband wanted to experience Gordon Ramsay's newest creation for his birthday & we were not dissapointed. After checking into the London L.A., which is very modern, with an upscale English vibe (with a crack staff) we had a 2 & 1/2 hour dinner that was wonderful! Which is saying something after just returning from a 1 month stay in Paris & finding nothing that even came close. We now long for Almond Soup & a very fabulous Cara cara Orange creation that almost defies description that was delectable. We plan to return for another special occasion as our dinner was fantastic & even with a one hour + drive (from Orange County) factored in, it is worth the journey.

As for the hotel we found it warm, inviting, chic & super clean with wonderful touches throughout inlcuding big & wonderful bathrooms. Plus a tub to die for. The shower is more than big enough for two & I'm pretty sure you will feel super pampered in any of the suites. We also found the staff, throughout the hotel, super attentive making me wonder what all the other hotels in L.A. were left with.

We had only a couple of negative experiences during our stay: one being my husband ordering breakfast (which we got super fast) & getting an omlette that had only mushrooms in it when he asked for everything BUT mushrooms. We got an apology & a quick replacement. The other was upon ordering room service & getting a glass of milk for $10.18 the server told me not to bother tipping him as he would'nt see it on his pay check. We had a talk about this, because my husband believe in making sure that the people who do a great job taking care of us are rewarded. Long story short: I gave a note to the Manager on Duty regarding our concern, got 2 e-mails as a follow-up & was very impressed by Ashley's professionalism & promise to get to the bottom of it.

In closing, I have never been as impressed by any hotel's staff (including the Plaza's & other 5 *'s) & it is well worth a long or short stay.

Stayed September 2008
2 Thank married&inlove
Tampa Bay, FL
Reviewed September 1, 2008

Following a 3 night stay at the new London in West Hollywood, here are my thoughts. In terms of pure luxury, this hotel might not in the same league as the traditional players (although, as someone who stayed here back when it was the Bel-Age, I may be jaded by memories of how the hotel used to look). Aesthetically, however, the remodeling has been a definite success. The lobby in particular is beautiful, and an unbelievable improvement over the original.

From a value standpoint, I think the London knocks if out of the park. I stayed in a vista suite, which was 700+ square feet with a great view of the hills, Sunset Strip, and Hollywood in the background (both the iconic Capitol Records building and Griffith Observatory were plainly visible from the balcony). Road noise was not an issue at all (however, I was on the 8th floor; not sure if I could say the same for the lower floor Sunset-side rooms). The bed was extremely comfortable, as was the couch that split the room. From the pictures, I was concerned that the television may be too far to see from the bed, but this ended up not being a concern.

The bathroom was unquestionably one of the highlights. As someone who is more used to New York-sized hotel rooms, the bathroom almost felt the size of a normal room on its own. The shower was spectacular, with your choice of shower head on either side, as well as full-length mirror which made shaving a breeze (or, of course, any other activities that may come to mind in a shower built for two). The bathtub was larger than any that I have (or have ever had) in my house.

Any nitpicks? As I mentioned, the building is older, and with that comes some inevitable difficulties. When we first walked into the room, it was stifling hot. Once I got the air going, it did cool down in due course, and the room was comfortable; however, I would be lying if I said that I believed the room could ever get truly cold. Most definitely not an issue for most people; I'm just picky about room temperature. Additionally, the bathtub stopper did not work, and would not hold water. In fairness, though, once I called down to the front desk, maintenance arrived within 5 minutes, and had the problem fixed 10 minutes later.

As for the Ramsay cuisine, I had mixed feelings. We had breakfast in the dining room twice, and it was flawless. Delicious food, beautiful ambiance, and polite (bordering on obsequious) service. Room service, on the other hand, was hit or miss. Service was infalliably polite, but some of the dishes would surely not have made it out of Hell's Kitchen (the Caesar salad, in particular, was inedible).

Service at the hotel was uniformly excellent, and came much closer to the traditional luxury standard than I had expected. Front desk staff were always polite and helpful. Valets were quick to the door, and would drop whatever they were doing to help. Heading to the Hollywood Bowl (front-row seats for Radiohead!), we were provided with a driver and the hotel Range Rover, despite traveling further than the normal 2-mile radius limitation.

Overall, as said, I think the London was a fantastic value. Was it the Peninsula? No, and you should probably stay there if money is no issue. For roughly half the price, however, I think the London hits a fantastic price/value ratio, and I would easily stay there again. :cool:

• Liked — Location, service
3 Thank Crooow
Orange County, California
Reviewed August 11, 2008

Beautiful very swank Hollywood public areas were initially impressive, but for me, the guest rooms were a bit of a disappointment.

The hotel rooms low ceilings and the wood paneling on the wall, along with Jetson-like mirrors on the other wall, although supposed to very trendy, just seemed a little cheesy to me. I know it's supposed to be newly & completely redone, but the room didn't feel warm or luxurious. A bit dark and cave like. Bathroom was nicely done, although no private watercloset for the toilet.

We had a terrace room. The terrace space was large, but not private. It would take just a little effort to make the terraces so much more attractive if the hotel added some vines growing up the lattices for privacy, and a potted plant or two, and a patio umbrella.

All in all, maybe I'm a little jaded, but I hoped for more.

• Liked — The tall young man who checked us in did an excellent job and was very gracious.
  • Disliked — waiting a long time for valet
3 Thank blossom
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 24, 2008

The London West Hollywood is the best new hotel in Los Angeles. Service is almost on par with many high-end hotels such as the Four Seasons as far as courtesy, addressing you by name, and going out of their way to make you feel welcome and giving you a mini-tour at check-in.

I've stayed at MANY high-end hotels in the LA area on business (I spent 22 nights in hotels in LA last year alone), and I would put the London on par with the best hotels I've stayed at. The rooms are ultra-spacious, the decor is incredible, and all the amenities are there. You get two different laundry bags--a plastic one as well as a nicer cloth one with the hotel logo embossed on it that you cah use for your shoes or something else. They give you slippers at turndown, as well as Fiji water. The toiletries/products are very high-end.

The hotel has a great scene and rooftop pool/bar. They have the Gordon Ramsay restaurant, which has decent (not great) food and a great vibe.

The only downside was at checkout. I work New York hours, so I'm leaving the hotel at 4:30 a.m. to get to work by 5 a.m. PT. When I checked out, I asked the desk clerk to please add two items from the minibar to the folio so I could have one combined folio for my expense report. The clerk said, "Well, you will get a separate expense and charge for that when we clean the room after checkout." I told her that I was not going to put in a separate line item for $20 for minibar items, and the desk clerk was adamant that this was the only way, "unless you want to be billed twice."

What kinda place does that? At 4:30 am PT, no less? I'm trying to get out of the place and this is the last impression I have of the place.

Needless to say, I called the manager later and complained. The manager was profusely apologetic about the situation, and promised that I wouldn't see future charges on my card. More importantly, she told me she would address this with the desk clerk. Of course, I saw some charges on my credit card after, which I won't be submitting for reimbursement. Too bad, because such a small thing is something that could derail an otherwise perfect experience.

So I'll say this...I'll stay here again, IN SPITE of my lousy final checkout experience. Hopefully they won't do the same thing to me again.

• Liked — The wonderful amenities and location, the absolutely gorgeous rooms and hotel
  • Disliked — The front desk clerk at checkout
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
Beverly Hills
Viceroy L'Ermitage Beverly Hills
Viceroy L'Ermitage Beverly Hills
#3 of 15 in Beverly Hills

Been to The LondonWeho at BeverlyHills? Share your experiences!