“Representative of genuine excellence. Starring real people.”
Review of Sunset Tower Hotel

Sunset Tower Hotel
Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in West Hollywood
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Representative of genuine excellence. Starring real people.”
Reviewed July 6, 2010

Not only did the Sunset Tower Hotel and the Argyle Salon/Spa surpass my expectations, they improved upon the experience because of their staff. One of the most pleasant, efficient, friendly and genuinely happy collection of people it has ever been my pleasure to meet. I had a wonderful vacation. Please read the following - my letter of appreciation for details
Dear Mr. O'Shea and staff of the Sunset Tower Hotel,

I am extremely happy to tell you that my recent stay at the Sunset Tower was one of the best experiences that I have ever had while on vacation. (I stayed over the weekend of June 18th to the 21st) Upon arrival, it became immediately apparent that all of your staff appreciate and strive for the highest level of perfection in atmosphere, and service. What made my visit the most pleasant were the qualities that everyone I encountered shared - an open friendliness, a desire to be helpful in any instance (directions, suggestions, special requests etc.), and a thoughtfulness that very often anticipated my desires. What I appreciated the most on a personal level was the pleasantness, charm and humor of each individual staff member. It is palpable, the sense of pride that you maintain in the establishment. It was delightful to encounter the very real people who work there.

I arrived early in the day, and Kelley had already thoughtfully arranged my visit to the Argyle Salon and Spa to allow me to relax after my flight from Philadelphia. I was welcomed to the Spa by Anna, and Lance who did wonders for me. Positively the best way to take away any 'Airport Angst'! Your Receptionists at the main desk, and Bellhop/Valet staff made me feel like a special visitor from the first moment I arrived.

I was very impressed with my room. The accommodations are absolutely charming. My suite brought to mind what it must have been like to have a little Art Deco apartment during the height of Hollywood's Glamorous era. The design and decoration throughout the entire hotel is a tasteful, subtle mixture of old-fashioned charm and modern convenience. Room service was unobtrusive, excellent and yet included an attention to personal detail that was greatly appreciated. My favorite features; the marble bathtub, and the Ipod dock (luxurious Hollywood dream bath come true, complete with soundtrack!)

I enjoyed excellent evening cocktails and morning breakfast on the Terrace, the view was a spectacular introduction to Los Angeles. The atmosphere by the pool is superb. Both Paul, and most especially Mathieu made my moments there absolutely wonderful. I shall treasure those memories of my vacation until I can one day (hopefully, soon!) return. First question on my Proust Questionnaire: What is your idea of perfect happiness? Answer: Evening cocktails on the Terrace at the Sunset Tower hotel. (It also makes a great 'Favorite destination?' answer.) Dereck(?) and Matt were also great to me in the Tower Bar. Very genuinely funny, and charming! Your Valet/Bellhop staff are round-the-clock wonderful gentlemen.
All of this service was discretely supervised by your elegant, precise daytime Manager (whose name I do not remember) - her genuine friendliness and poise serve to identify her.

I thank you all sincerely for a wonderful experience. I will indeed be fortunate and delighted to return to your hotel in the future -

Lisa Gaston

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
Staten Island, New York
Reviewed June 21, 2010

made my stay in hollywwod the greatest of all, service was awesome as was the food, pool and the most comfortable bed ever, even the towels were plush and clean linens daily, now thats what i call living

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
buffalo, ny
Reviewed June 19, 2010

I stayed at the Sunset Tower for it's historical value. Not only was it everything I would have expected but the service was exceptional. The staff was pleasant and professional. I felt welcomed and could only wish every place I stay is as accommodating as The Sunset Tower. The location couldn't be any more convenient. Not to mention the housekeeping staff...WONDERFUL. As a front office manager of a hotel, I actual learned some pointers from my experience. Highly recommend it. Will be back.

Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
New York, NY
Reviewed June 15, 2010

This was my fourth and final stay at the Sunset Tower Hotel. I first stayed at the hotel in the summer of 2007 shortly after the re-open. I recall having a very pleasant stay, as was my next stay in 2008. However, when I returned to the hotel in January 2010, I realized there had been a drastic decline in service. The valet staff was aloof and rude, as were the front desk staff. The waitstaff was equally as uninterested and unattentive. More than once we'd have to get up and ask for our server, or our check. Service by the pool was even worse. At the time, I accredited this to the busy awards season. It was an unpleasant stay, but I didn't write the hotel off.

I decided to give the Sunset Tower another try for my business trip this June. I was optimistic and first, as I was upgraded to a beautiful one bedroom suite. However, from then on, it was sheer and utter disappointment. Again, arrogant and rude valet staff, slow and non-existent restaurant service. I actually sat by the pool one morning for a full hour - and no one came to wait on me. You're made to feel lucky if anyone pays you any attention anywhere in the hotel. Also, two of the three nights during our stay, the pool and terrace were closed for private parties. This is half the reason we chose to stay there - to have an area to entertain VIP clients! All guests should be alerted BEFORE their stay that these areas are going to be closed. One afternoon I was told I could use the Best Western pool next door - which I thought was just ridiculous and should have afforded me an even more reduced rate.

Sadly, I will not be returning to this hotel again, nor will anyone from my company.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank travler1027
Londinium
Reviewed May 26, 2010

Very nice hotel, on Sunset Blvd, not far from Melrose Place etc etc....
We got upgraded to a Suite on one of the top floors and had a blast. NIcely decorated, clean, nice views. Very elegant. And the building is to die for. Gorgeous.
Restaurant was really nice too and pool too. Celebrity hang out.
I would recommend the hotel to anyone going to LA.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
Bristol, Virginia
Reviewed May 15, 2010

Well, we got bumped across the street for a night too - but we happened to be flexible and were coming back for 3 more nights. The staff was very apologetic and upgraded our room, which I am glad they did. The rooms still seem quite small, but not as small as they are in NYC or Europe. However, Sunset Tower truly has class and charm. I appreciated the wood interior, fireplace, quietness and feeling of seclusion after being in the more modern, open and noisier hotel across the street. Two sides of a big city, that's all. I loved the coziness, the spa, the restaurant, the terrace and the top-notch service of Sunset. It's good ambiance all around, but look for a special deal. I do think they charge a bit too much, both for the rooms and their food. Lovely baths, nice robes, great views. Special.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank Listens2owls
Livermore, CA
Reviewed April 15, 2010

My husband and I booked a night at this hotel for a romantic weekend getaway. When we arrived they informed us that our room had water damage from the rain (it hadn't even rained that hard the night before) and they were putting us up in the hotel across the street. They said they would call us about whatever refund they could give us once they spoke with accounting.

When we got to the hotel across the street, we were told they didn't have any king rooms and we were being put into a double queen (which we had paid extra for a king at the Sunset Tower Hotel). We then asked the room rate and it was $100 less than what we had paid for Sunset Tower. The front desk from Sunset Tower didn't call us back until the next afternoon and told us they couldn't refund any money since our new room cost them more than what we paid, which was a lie because we had asked the rate and even saw it on the screen when we checked out.

All in all, it ruined my birthday celebration weekend with my husband. Their customer service was rediculous and they ended up making an extra $100 off pushing us to the hotel across the street. I wouldn't be surprised if they completely ripped us off by overbooking their hotel and then blaming it on the rain. I am extremely dissapointed. Don't stay here!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Beverly Hills
The Beverly Hills Hotel
The Beverly Hills Hotel
#1 of 15 in Beverly Hills

Been to Sunset Tower Hotel? Share your experiences!