“Oasis in Hollyweird”
Review of Sunset Tower Hotel

Sunset Tower Hotel
Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in West Hollywood
Reviewed May 4, 2013

I have stayed at almost any hotel of note in LA and have this is my first time at Sunset Towers in Hollywood. It is a classic, beautiful experience where the details are done perfectly. It's low key, stunning Deco architecture and historically preserved while still feeling modern - or better yet - timeless. The staff is amazing, my personal favorite is Tony, who is warm and genuinely fun to talk with. I prefer talking to the patio restaurant people more than the other guests. The hotel retains the feel of 1930's apartment living with all the benefits of technology and top-notch service. Highly Recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms not facing Sunset BLVD. it can be bit noisy with floor to ceiling windows, and the vie...
1  Thank Ralph W

Reviewed May 1, 2013

I stayed at The Sunset Tower hotel last week and was thoroughly impressed ... the room was clean and the hotel had a classic Hollywood feeling to it. Upon checking out, Tim gave me a box of chocolate chip cookies, which was really sweet! Order them while staying at the hotel if you can, they were home made!
Will def be back

1  Thank kelly p
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Wow! Talk about feeling welcome! I was in LA on business for 4 days and spent most of my free time in the Tower Bar. There were plenty other places I could have perched on the vibrant Sunset Boulevard, however Derek and Angel bought service to another level so why go anywhere else! The 20's allure of the hotel, terrace pool and perfect view were just as wonderful however it's the service that I most enjoyed.
Thank you for making me feel so comfortable - I will be back!

Reviewed April 16, 2013

Everybody was polite and professional. The room was lovely with a wonderful view. The hotel was upscale without being stuffy, and the restaurant was just perfect. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 15, 2013

You will not find a better wait staff/valet/front desk & bartenders anywhere. The atmosphere in the restaurant & terrace is intoxicating, yet relaxing and refreshing. The rooms are comfortable and have great views from downtown to the beach. The location is within walking distance to many great restaurants/bars and venues, but I found that night after night, I was already at the best spot in town. The bartenders were complete gentlemen and the tuna tartar was fantastic. One of the best hotel experiences to date.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

My wife and I just spent a week at the Sunset Tower Hotel and we loved it. Within thirty seconds of checking in we saw our first celebrity who was staying on the property. Our first night at the hotel we had already done so much, we decided to stay in and order room service. Both the food and the service were exceptional! Then, about half-way through our trip, my wife and I had an unexpected, upsetting and embarrassing experience. The hotel staff was extremely kind in being discrete while assisting us with the situation. We can't thank them enough. This is not to mention that the beds and the pillows in the rooms are incredibly comfortable and you have great views of the city from the Hotel. The Sunset Tower Hotel is beautiful historic property and we would absolutely recommend it to anyone considering staying here! Thank you again to all of the staff!

Room Tip: Request a room facing the south side for a great view of the city.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 14, 2013

I suppose I'm more qualified than most to give my opinion on this hotel as I have stayed here so many times sometimes for weeks or months at a time.

I'm lucky that I travel so much on business and have stayed in some of the leading hotels in the world but I can quite honestly say that the Sunset Tower is up there with all of them and I'm my opinion the best of them all.

What makes this hotel special is it's uniqueness. Set in an art-deco building on the Sunset Strip it is classy, luxurious and the right mix between old Hollywood glamour and modern convenience.

The staff are, for me, the icing on the cake. From the moment you step inside Tim Cunnigham treats you like a long lost relative. It's not just because I'm a regular! I have seen him with so many people making them feel special too.

When I'm rushing out to work in the morning to work Angel or Victoria organise a take away smoothie for my car or when I'm having a leisurely breakfast they bring it down to my sun lounger and nothing is too much trouble . Angel has been at the Sunset Tower for as long as I remember and I've watched him with so many guests. If I had a hotel I would be so very proud to have him working there . He epitomises the old style care and attention to detail that sets this place apart.

Lunch is equally special . I usually have my own choice of salad which Derrick, with his friendly cheerful manners, always remembers to offer me. Quite often a diet coke will appear by my side when I'm getting too hot in the sunshine.

In the Tower Bar there is a much more formal atmosphere but there is something homely and welcoming about it too. Demitri, the Maitre d' seems like he has been there since day one. He is as much a part of The Sunset Tower as the Art Deco windows.

I watch him in the evenings greeting A list Hollywood stars with amazing aplomb and more importantly I love to see the way they greet him like he is the reason they have come!

There are some incredible members of staff in the Tower Bar. Tom with his dark rimmed glasses is discreet friendly and professional and Max with his surfer looks and his charm is a great favourite among the guests. However Gallo and ( look up name ) quietly add their own charm with their unassuming gentle behaviour.

The front of house staff can't be forgotten,as being a woman alone living in a hotel, a friendly person to come home to makes everything alright which is why I would never chose to stay in a large chain hotel. Jeff ,Jessica and Tucker notice that I'm home, comment if I'm late or look tired etc and just give you that extra bit of care which all adds to this hotel's credentials .

One of my very few negatives is that the valet company used to be incredible but now a new company have taken over and they are just like any other hotel. The top class valets who have remained with the new company are just that however. Jeremy and Brandon keep the standard high and always go out of their way to help.

The housekeeping staff are lovely . They always do extra things like arrange my shoes (which in my case is a major job). Natalie runs a tight ship and is always on hand to help.

My only other complaint is that when I started staying there we had beautiful old fashioned wicker sun loungers and chairs. They were replaced (obviously by a man) with wooden seat backs and cushions on the ground. Any woman will tell you that lying face down on wooden slats even with a cushion isn't the most comfortable for our body shape. All the guys I know hate them too . The wicker ones were like old Hollywood glamour by the pool !

Funny that the only two complaints I have amist a sea of compliments are for two things which have been changed. If it ain't broke don't fix it and that's how I feel about this hotel. In this world of cloned hotels where every chain looks the same, this place is a jewel to be marvelled at and treasured and kept just the way it is!!

I've just returned home from a month there and I'm planning my return .

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
The Hollywood Roosevelt
#16 of 354 in Los Angeles
Andaz West Hollywood
#4 of 19 in West Hollywood

Been to Sunset Tower Hotel? Share your experiences!