WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in West Hollywood
Charlotte
“The Sunset Tower”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

You will not find a better wait staff/valet/front desk & bartenders anywhere. The atmosphere in the restaurant & terrace is intoxicating, yet relaxing and refreshing. The rooms are comfortable and have great views from downtown to the beach. The location is within walking distance to many great restaurants/bars and venues, but I found that night after night, I was already at the best spot in town. The bartenders were complete gentlemen and the tuna tartar was fantastic. One of the best hotel experiences to date.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

My wife and I just spent a week at the Sunset Tower Hotel and we loved it. Within thirty seconds of checking in we saw our first celebrity who was staying on the property. Our first night at the hotel we had already done so much, we decided to stay in and order room service. Both the food and the service were exceptional! Then, about half-way through our trip, my wife and I had an unexpected, upsetting and embarrassing experience. The hotel staff was extremely kind in being discrete while assisting us with the situation. We can't thank them enough. This is not to mention that the beds and the pillows in the rooms are incredibly comfortable and you have great views of the city from the Hotel. The Sunset Tower Hotel is beautiful historic property and we would absolutely recommend it to anyone considering staying here! Thank you again to all of the staff!

Room Tip: Request a room facing the south side for a great view of the city.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Bedford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

I suppose I'm more qualified than most to give my opinion on this hotel as I have stayed here so many times sometimes for weeks or months at a time.

I'm lucky that I travel so much on business and have stayed in some of the leading hotels in the world but I can quite honestly say that the Sunset Tower is up there with all of them and I'm my opinion the best of them all.

What makes this hotel special is it's uniqueness. Set in an art-deco building on the Sunset Strip it is classy, luxurious and the right mix between old Hollywood glamour and modern convenience.

The staff are, for me, the icing on the cake. From the moment you step inside Tim Cunnigham treats you like a long lost relative. It's not just because I'm a regular! I have seen him with so many people making them feel special too.

When I'm rushing out to work in the morning to work Angel or Victoria organise a take away smoothie for my car or when I'm having a leisurely breakfast they bring it down to my sun lounger and nothing is too much trouble . Angel has been at the Sunset Tower for as long as I remember and I've watched him with so many guests. If I had a hotel I would be so very proud to have him working there . He epitomises the old style care and attention to detail that sets this place apart.

Lunch is equally special . I usually have my own choice of salad which Derrick, with his friendly cheerful manners, always remembers to offer me. Quite often a diet coke will appear by my side when I'm getting too hot in the sunshine.

In the Tower Bar there is a much more formal atmosphere but there is something homely and welcoming about it too. Demitri, the Maitre d' seems like he has been there since day one. He is as much a part of The Sunset Tower as the Art Deco windows.

I watch him in the evenings greeting A list Hollywood stars with amazing aplomb and more importantly I love to see the way they greet him like he is the reason they have come!

There are some incredible members of staff in the Tower Bar. Tom with his dark rimmed glasses is discreet friendly and professional and Max with his surfer looks and his charm is a great favourite among the guests. However Gallo and ( look up name ) quietly add their own charm with their unassuming gentle behaviour.

The front of house staff can't be forgotten,as being a woman alone living in a hotel, a friendly person to come home to makes everything alright which is why I would never chose to stay in a large chain hotel. Jeff ,Jessica and Tucker notice that I'm home, comment if I'm late or look tired etc and just give you that extra bit of care which all adds to this hotel's credentials .

One of my very few negatives is that the valet company used to be incredible but now a new company have taken over and they are just like any other hotel. The top class valets who have remained with the new company are just that however. Jeremy and Brandon keep the standard high and always go out of their way to help.

The housekeeping staff are lovely . They always do extra things like arrange my shoes (which in my case is a major job). Natalie runs a tight ship and is always on hand to help.

My only other complaint is that when I started staying there we had beautiful old fashioned wicker sun loungers and chairs. They were replaced (obviously by a man) with wooden seat backs and cushions on the ground. Any woman will tell you that lying face down on wooden slats even with a cushion isn't the most comfortable for our body shape. All the guys I know hate them too . The wicker ones were like old Hollywood glamour by the pool !

Funny that the only two complaints I have amist a sea of compliments are for two things which have been changed. If it ain't broke don't fix it and that's how I feel about this hotel. In this world of cloned hotels where every chain looks the same, this place is a jewel to be marvelled at and treasured and kept just the way it is!!

I've just returned home from a month there and I'm planning my return .

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Yvie B
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

We traveled from Wisconsin to sunny California at the end of March 2013, and our first destination was The Sunset Tower Hotel for 3 nights. We enjoyed all aspects of our stay - the hotel itself, our room, the service and staff, the location - everything was wonderful. We appreciated the little touches that make such a big difference - fresh baked cookies on our bedside table at night, vintage postcards and elegant stationery at hand in our room, morning espresso and evening decaf in our room, plush bathrobes to lounge in, a morning newspaper, and so much more. Our complimentary breakfast was plentiful, fresh, and delicious, and the restaurant itself was delightful - an open air terrace dining room with a fabulous view and relaxed atmosphere. We especially enjoyed meeting our server, Viktoria, and we thank her for making us feel special and taking such good care of us. The staff at the front desk were informative and helpful, always willing to help us in any way - with directions, recommendations, etc. We loved the location - we felt like we were just a short walk or cab ride to most everywhere we wanted to go. We really can't think of one thing that could have been improved upon...well, maybe one tiny thing...We felt like our suite at night was a little dim on the wall end of the couch - but we did a little creative rearranging and solved the problem ourselves, so we were never bothered a bit. Thank you for a wonderful time - we hope to see you again.

Room Tip: We chose a Junior Suite so that we could have a separate sitting room area. The bedroom had its own...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

Yes, STARS fill the night skies of the great basin of Los Angeles and STARS fill the Tower Bar Restaurant while paparazzi hangout waiting for the likes of ........and......as they really do dine and drink there. You may even see Valentino sipping a Campari.

The Sunset Tower Hotel is my fave Hollywood hotel. The staff remembers who you are, at least, they have remembered me and welcomed me back warmly.

The location is phenomenal, right on the Sunset Strip near La Cienega. So, there is lots to do from break the bank shopping, fine dining, star-gazing (you can do that at the Bar) and museums. Both the Villa Getty and The Getty Museum are close by and easy to get to. The Getty has amazing exhibitions and the grounds are incredible.

I was going to leave early in the morning for an Amtrak Train and the Sunset Tower's truly pro
Food and Beverage Manager, Reggie, put his touch on my table when I had a late night slider on the Terrace. Plus, he facilitated my early morn Brown Bag Brunch. They made a wonderful Brown Bag Brunch for me with smoked salmon, crispy croissants, fresh fruit and Greek yogurt and their GREAT OATMEAL COOKIES. It held me through to dinner on The Starlight back to San Francisco. They really know how to take care of their guests.

It is a great comfort to know that the excellent service of the Sunset Tower Hotel awaits me!

Of course, seeing Tim Cunningham, the Ambassador of the Hotel, is wonderful as he is an incredible host, knowledgeable, gracious and a wealth of information. His charm is magical.

Having such helpful wait staff on The Terrace is exactly as it should be. I was greeted warmly by Victoria and Angel at breakfast and Victoria even made me a very special fresh pink grapefruit and orange drink with sparkling water, it is nice to have it that way as it seems so special.

One night a friend of mine joined me for a delicious dinner in the Tower Bar. My friend was absolutely amazed at the level of service we had. I couldn't see the immaculate brigade of servers which were behind me. It was a very large gathering of handsome, good looking young, professional servers who wore beautifully starched and sparkling white jackets with black slacks.
Our service was amazing. Our barman, Derek, shared a delicious cocktail, made with champagne that was the right amount of sparkle.

The kitchen produced a delicious dinner. I didn't have their superb rack of lamb because I tried the grilled swordfish. It was so good that I ate it again! Of course the ambiance in the Tower Bar
is Hollywood to the max. The clientele has that "je ne sais quoi" air about them. You will see starlets and, possibly, big deal makers whenever you are there. The Sunset Tower also hosts one of the famous Oscar After Parties, so you know that it is one of the place to see and be seen.

My one disappointment was not having a fabulous manicure by Farrah.....boooooo hooooooo. NEXT TIME.

My hats off the owners of the Sunset Tower Hotel.

Room Tip: Get to Know TIM! Sleep on the East or the South side
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank QUEENIE_ELLE
Sherman Oaks, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

My husband and I have ten month old twin boys and wanted to get away for his birthday. The Sunset Towers was only 30 minutes from home but felt like we were worlds away. The pool, the restaurant, the spa....all were delightful. (I would highly recommend the hammam after an afternoon by the pool - so refreshing!) Our room was spectacular with an amazing view of the city and the concierge, Jessica, could not have been more helpful in trying to make it my husbands best birthday ever! We had such a wonderful time and were treated with superior courtesy and service.We will return for another getaway soon! I think its going to be be our new home away from home!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

I drove here from Palm Springs, with a friend, in February this year. It was just a one night stay, but I wish it could have been longer. The room I was given was very nice, small, and quiet. The bed was very comfortable. We had dinner that night in the Tower Bar downstairs, joined by another friend, and we had a cosy table, a very good meal, and excellent service. The next morning I got up and went down to the terrace for breakfast (a beautiful buffet with big bowls of picture perfect fruit, yogourt, toast, coffee etc. included in the room charge) and sat in the sun reading the paper, until my friend came down to join me. This hotel is small , elegant and comfortable without being over the top luxurious. The staff were very friendly and welcoming. I want to stay here again.

Room Tip: The room I had faced the side street, and was quiet.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
The Hollywood Roosevelt
The Hollywood Roosevelt
#15 of 347 in Los Angeles
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,500 reviews

Been to Sunset Tower Hotel? Share your experiences!