“Dated, dirty and Dark.”
Review of Sunset Tower Hotel

Sunset Tower Hotel
Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in West Hollywood
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Dont like this at all! Dirty, dated and overpriced! Small rooms. Bad service, old and worn down. Very eighties style. Bad food. This might have been glamourous once, but no more. Good location though!

• Stayed: October 2012
6  Thank Sidmo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,057)

Reviewed October 15, 2012

What a beautiful hotel tucked away along Sunset Blvd. Floor to ceiling windows with beautiful views of the city or the strip. We had the breakfast buffet on the terrace every morning before heading out. It's a beautiful spot right next to the pool and everyday we saw some "famous face" hanging out with friends for lunch or drinks. Carneys across the street is a good cheap place for a late night burger and there's also a Starbucks across the street if you want to get an inexpensive cup of coffee and not splurge at the hotel. Great staff that recognized us everyday and always asked how we were and were happy to answer any questions we had. It's is now my new favorite hotel in West Hollywood!

Room Tip: Beautiful views on all sides- just depends if you want a view of city of L.A.,Chateau Marmont, or Ho...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank supertrih
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Totally rock starry and fabulous! Great staff, great views, great pool area. we have a 9 year old in a wheelchair and he was given the utmost respect and treated like a superstar, a very accessible place for those on wheels. Looking forward to our next visit

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank nickastroboy
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Two words: Ah-maze. Okay, it’s one word.

Our recent stay at Sunset Tower was awesome. My best girlfriend was coming to town and although I live in LA, we never go out on Sunset Boulevard. So, we decided to “do-it-up” Hollywood style and get a room at Sunset Tower. From the second we valet parked (parking overnight was $32), every person greeted us with a smile, gave great recommendations on where we should go, and treated us like Hollywood royalty. We started the night at the hotel bar where the bartenders were very friendly. We ventured off to our night on the town and hit all of the close hot-spots for cocktails. It’s near Chateau Marmont, a skip from The Roosevelt and down the street from the Piano Bar. We even ordered delicious room service way too late (24-hour room service is the best!!) After a long night out, we decided to order breakfast by the pool the next morning. Angel, our server, was attentive, kind and very funny. I recommend this place for Los Angeles residents as well as any tourist. Especially if you like places like Saddle Ranch, the Laugh Factory and Pink Taco which are all in walking distance.

Worth every penny and would definitely visit again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Carla T
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We just have to keep coming back! This hotel is, as Tina Turner would surely agree, "simply the best." From the moment you're welcomed into the Lobby until the minute you depart (wishing you didn't have to go), you are cosseted and cared for in a way which is a class above anywhere else we've stayed in California. At breakfast and on the terrace, poolside, Derek, Stephanie and Angel attend to every need. Here lies the ultimate in courtesy but without sycophancy. In the bar, Derek and Jordan are the martini mixers extraordinaire and, more to the point, they make it fun! And in the Restaurant, throughout all the giddy madness, the immaculate and incomparable Dimitri Dimitrov is in complete control, discharging his very own completely unique brand of personal attention. It's no small wonder that this place is busy seven nights a week! Be sure to reserve your table, because it's never quiet. This year we arrived bearing the fall-out effects of a Palm Springs storm and our car was covered in grit and sand. The Sunset forecourt greeter offered and arranged to have the car washed down in the Hotel garage. Nothing is too much trouble and nothing goes wrong. It's as near perfect an operation as you're going to get anywhere. Don't sit there. Go see for yourself!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ian M
Reviewed September 22, 2012

Hollywood Art Deco Redux at
The Sunset Tower Hotel

My formative years were spent becoming a glamor girl living in the hills above Sunset Strip in Laurel Canyon. Hollywood was truly glamorous. I must have zipped by The Sunset Tower Hotel a zillion times. It was the epitome of Art Deco architecture and I always wondered about it…… Those days are over as I had the most glorious stay there this summer of 2012.
Over the years I had stayed at many of the fine hotels in the area.. But, I was really drawn to stay there. I wasn’t the least bit disappointed, from the moment I arrived until the moment I left, I felt as if I had arrived where I was meant to be.

The service at the entrance is welcoming and gracious. There aren’t tons of people fidgeting about getting their cars. It’s all smooth.

Stepping into the lobby is like stepping into a seductive environment of welcome and making oneself feel comfortable. Nothing is rushed and being greeted by professional and friendly reception staffers without badge wearing back slappers is so wonderful.

The nice thing is being greeted by a tasteful and wonderfully groomed man who is the “Ambassador” of the hotel. Tim Cunningham is the perfect gentleman for the job. He is gracious and wants to make your stay special, and he succeeds! I was amazed when he made sure I got the right tanning oil by sending out for it. He really is the man about town and I was pleased that he could fill me in on where to find fabulous vintage clothes, dining spots, great directions for getting to The Villa Getty Museum and making sure that EVERYTHING ran smoothly. I would stay at The Sunset Tower Hotel because his presence is so important to a memorable stay.

One morning I missed the wonderful breakfast served on the Terrace. I was so hungry and was missing all the beautiful fresh fruit. Never fear, for Angel, a delightful server, made sure that I had the best of the best fruit with Greek yogurt and really delicious house made granola. I was really pleased by Angel’s poise and graciousness. I always made sure that I sat in his section. He had a deft touch and made every meal special.

You really must eat the perfectly prepared lamb chops for dinner. They were so good, I had them twice in FIVE days. They are sweet, succulent and cooked as they should be, pink with crispy edges. I hunger for them now.

The maid did a wonderful job of keeping my fabulous, huge room with a view of West Hollywood so orderly and comfy. Towels and amenities are superb, Khiel’s. Beautifully blended potions and lotions are absolutely the best. The stand alone shower is big enough for a shower a deux!

What I really like about the Sunset Tower Hotel is that it has everything that you can find at more expensive hotels but they would be lacking in fabulous hospitality and the rates are not exorbitant.

Yes, you will see Hollywood types there, for sure. They love the pool area for lunch and drinks as the views are spectacular. It really is a treasure.

OOOOOOOOPS…..THE SPA is so wonderful and all the services are done by a really wonderful staff from the soothing stone massage to a beautiful manicure. I desire another hour and a half aromatherapy massage with hot stones. Plus, the hair stylists are so hip!

Hopefully you’ll treat yourself to a rendezvous or special occasion at this truly elegant hotel with superior services and a fabulous staff!

Room Tip: Try a Corner Room Take a Room Tour
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank QUEENIE_ELLE
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Looking back on the now waning summer, I'm reminded of the wonderful week I spent at the Sunset Towers. It was the laziest trip I've ever taken: I rarely left the hotel and spent most of my time poolside with the hotel's signature drink "Dimitri" in my hands. The art deco building is spectacular and the decor is beyond comfortable, with a muted color palate with crisp brass details. Aside from one ridiculous guest (an awful man who was upset that one of the poolside staff members didn't wrap his prepubescent son in a towel after snapping his fingers and yelled, "what is this a hostel"? and then later threatened the life of another guest who refused to give his son his hat) the atmosphere was simply serene. Beyond wonderful was the hotel staff, who not only made my stay comfortable, but added a warm, personal touch. A special thank you to Derek, Stephanie, and Tony in that regard. If you're looking for a hotel that values the details and maintains a high level of taste without the gimmicks, look no further. I hope to be back very soon.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Hollywood
The Hollywood Roosevelt
The Hollywood Roosevelt
#16 of 355 in Los Angeles

Been to Sunset Tower Hotel? Share your experiences!