“HOLLYWOOD ART DECO GLAMOR REDUX”
Review of Sunset Tower Hotel

Sunset Tower Hotel
Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in West Hollywood
San Francisco, California
“HOLLYWOOD ART DECO GLAMOR REDUX”
Reviewed September 22, 2012

Hollywood Art Deco Redux at
The Sunset Tower Hotel

My formative years were spent becoming a glamor girl living in the hills above Sunset Strip in Laurel Canyon. Hollywood was truly glamorous. I must have zipped by The Sunset Tower Hotel a zillion times. It was the epitome of Art Deco architecture and I always wondered about it…… Those days are over as I had the most glorious stay there this summer of 2012.
Over the years I had stayed at many of the fine hotels in the area.. But, I was really drawn to stay there. I wasn’t the least bit disappointed, from the moment I arrived until the moment I left, I felt as if I had arrived where I was meant to be.

The service at the entrance is welcoming and gracious. There aren’t tons of people fidgeting about getting their cars. It’s all smooth.

Stepping into the lobby is like stepping into a seductive environment of welcome and making oneself feel comfortable. Nothing is rushed and being greeted by professional and friendly reception staffers without badge wearing back slappers is so wonderful.

The nice thing is being greeted by a tasteful and wonderfully groomed man who is the “Ambassador” of the hotel. Tim Cunningham is the perfect gentleman for the job. He is gracious and wants to make your stay special, and he succeeds! I was amazed when he made sure I got the right tanning oil by sending out for it. He really is the man about town and I was pleased that he could fill me in on where to find fabulous vintage clothes, dining spots, great directions for getting to The Villa Getty Museum and making sure that EVERYTHING ran smoothly. I would stay at The Sunset Tower Hotel because his presence is so important to a memorable stay.

One morning I missed the wonderful breakfast served on the Terrace. I was so hungry and was missing all the beautiful fresh fruit. Never fear, for Angel, a delightful server, made sure that I had the best of the best fruit with Greek yogurt and really delicious house made granola. I was really pleased by Angel’s poise and graciousness. I always made sure that I sat in his section. He had a deft touch and made every meal special.

You really must eat the perfectly prepared lamb chops for dinner. They were so good, I had them twice in FIVE days. They are sweet, succulent and cooked as they should be, pink with crispy edges. I hunger for them now.

The maid did a wonderful job of keeping my fabulous, huge room with a view of West Hollywood so orderly and comfy. Towels and amenities are superb, Khiel’s. Beautifully blended potions and lotions are absolutely the best. The stand alone shower is big enough for a shower a deux!

What I really like about the Sunset Tower Hotel is that it has everything that you can find at more expensive hotels but they would be lacking in fabulous hospitality and the rates are not exorbitant.

Yes, you will see Hollywood types there, for sure. They love the pool area for lunch and drinks as the views are spectacular. It really is a treasure.

OOOOOOOOPS…..THE SPA is so wonderful and all the services are done by a really wonderful staff from the soothing stone massage to a beautiful manicure. I desire another hour and a half aromatherapy massage with hot stones. Plus, the hair stylists are so hip!

Hopefully you’ll treat yourself to a rendezvous or special occasion at this truly elegant hotel with superior services and a fabulous staff!

Room Tip: Try a Corner Room Take a Room Tour
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank QUEENIE_ELLE

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Looking back on the now waning summer, I'm reminded of the wonderful week I spent at the Sunset Towers. It was the laziest trip I've ever taken: I rarely left the hotel and spent most of my time poolside with the hotel's signature drink "Dimitri" in my hands. The art deco building is spectacular and the decor is beyond comfortable, with a muted color palate with crisp brass details. Aside from one ridiculous guest (an awful man who was upset that one of the poolside staff members didn't wrap his prepubescent son in a towel after snapping his fingers and yelled, "what is this a hostel"? and then later threatened the life of another guest who refused to give his son his hat) the atmosphere was simply serene. Beyond wonderful was the hotel staff, who not only made my stay comfortable, but added a warm, personal touch. A special thank you to Derek, Stephanie, and Tony in that regard. If you're looking for a hotel that values the details and maintains a high level of taste without the gimmicks, look no further. I hope to be back very soon.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Colin M
DC
Reviewed September 19, 2012

The staff at Sunset Towers was overall very nice and accomodating, but their arrogance was a tad suffocating at times. For example, when I pulled up with my rental car (a modest Chevy Malibu) for the third night in a row, the valet first asked if I was just there for the bar and when I told him I was a guest at the hotel, he was utterly amazed and I was utterly insulted.
Other than a touch of arrogance, which I fully expected in LA anyway, the hotel was wonderful and I highly recommend it. The location is perfect - the Sunset strip has much to see and do - and Beverly Hills is just a few miles away. Of course, if you are a nobody like me, Rodeo Drive is a very depressing place to be. (haha)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sara F
New Jersey
Reviewed September 18, 2012

When I started researching hotels in Los Angeles for a September visit I kept coming back to the Sunset Tower Hotel and after an amazing stay there I intend to keep coming back. I am someone who is picky about everything in life and I absolutely cannot find any faults with this hotel or the wonderful people who work there. From the time I arrived to leaving four days later I was in love with this hotel. I found myself not wanting to leave the hotel. Everything you need is there and anywhere else you go is not as good. All of the people who work there are nice, polite, professional and overall just the best group of people I have had the pleasure of being around. From the people at the valet and front door, to the front desk people, to Alex the manager, Tim, the concierge, Christina in Sales, Shane, the hostess, Dmitri the maitre d’, Elise the waitress, to the housekeeping staff and everyone in between are all amazingly great at what they do and provide you with a wonderful away from home experience in LA.

This is a top class hotel and one that any visit to is sure to be a great time, an inspiring time and one that will envelope you in total luxury and have all your senses in a total state of happiness and inspiration. It did for me.

The hotel is very clean and every time you enter your room it is immaculate. Everything smells good there from the custom made bars of soap and Kheil’s products in your room, to the Tower Bar's lilies, to the California air outside your window. This is a place of old Hollywood glamour with modern day amenities-yes this has probably been said over and over, but so true. The views are some of the best LA has to offer and the location is perfect. Their spa is the best one I have been to and a must visit for any stay at the hotel. I go to spas all the time in New York and I must say this one in California has them all beat and my new favorite. Their signature spa made sugar scrub is intoxicatingly good smelling as are all the products the spa uses. The staff at the spa are also very nice and truly experts at what they do as well. The pool and terrace area are great to eat at, relax at and will ensconce you in a world all your own and one of total charm, glamour and sophistication.

I can’t say enough good things about this hotel and all that is housed inside of it. This art-deco beacon on the Sunset strip is a must stay for you if you love and appreciate quality, service and luxury in every aspect because nothing else around compares...

Room Tip: It is worth the extra cost to get a suite on their higher floors with southern views.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank William M
Toronto
Reviewed September 17, 2012

My grown...twenty something children and I spent the last few days; heck more than a few days of the summer winding down and restoring our spirits at the Sunset Tower Hotel in West Hollywood. It was the first visit to this ‘Hollywood Jewel’ for my children and my second time experiencing grace and bliss at this hotel. Simply put the luxurious Sunset Tower Hotel rises up to meet you the very moment you enter its beautiful doors. Before you walk through the doors of the hotel you are met and welcomed by the debonair goatee touting Jeremy, dressed in gorgeous black. He immediately sets the tone for your vacation. Jennifer and her team which includes Jared and Victor make sure that your room is ready and to your satisfaction.
The Sunset Tower Hotel speaks to all of your senses... the setting is both charming and chic, with a feeling of an old world atmosphere made anew. Each of the rooms in this 1930’s old Hollywood gem has its own character, its own essence. The food is a mouth-watering wonder and it is presented with such elegance that you have to take a minute to eat it with your eye before actually placing a morsel into your mouth. Depending on your mood, you can join Angel, Benito, Ishmael, Derek, Victoria or Stephanie and dine pool-side at the Terrace for breakfast or lunch. This team of servers appear to be contented only if they perform above and beyond expectations in order to ensure that your needs are met at every turn. On the other hand, if you feel like dressing, you can join the amazing Dmitri, Tony, Max, Christophe and Derek, the ‘mixologist’ at the Tower Bar for an elegant and delectable dinner; and an evening that is often full of surprises.
Perhaps the real jewel of the Sunset Tower Hotel is its extraordinary caring and engaging staff team – this is a team, a family who delivers unbelievably superior service day after day, night after night. Each member of the Sunset Tower team seems to have one collective intention and that is simply to ensure that every guest who walk through the hotel’s door experience beauty, contentment and superior service. The entire staffs seemed to embody a generosity of spirit whose primary objective was to make certain that my children and I created great memories of our time in LA together.
This unbelievable team, this crew readily displays this brand of excellence because they have been in the company and have been exceptionally trained by the best....Sunset Tower Hotel’s remarkable ambassador, Tim Cunningham. It is once again clear that Tim and his brand of caring (‘Timology...as per my son) is wholeheartedly invested in the empowerment of the hotel’s guests. I for one returned home feeling that I could take on any challenge...and trust me I am! I am empowered and rejuvenated and ready to return to this ‘Hollywood Jewel’ that is the Sunset Tower Hotel ANYTIME.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank 105Sophia
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed September 16, 2012

All the good things you hear and read about this place are true. Essentially the Sunset Tower Hotel was the stomping grounds for all of old Hollywood, much like the Chateau Marmont has been for the last few decades. It is certainly still a heavy industry type property, but it caters more towards the refined Hollywood types, not the B listers on a binge, although that can also be fun to see. It also caters to regulars, especially the Sunset Tower Bar restaurant, which is a must. Under the ownership of hotelier Jeff Klein, the Sunset Tower underwent an immaculate renovation, but of course it retained many of the features that makes this place a historical landmark, like the rickety windows which may or may not open. When staying in LA, location matters, because traffic is dreadful. West Hollywood is centrally located, so it's the perfect place to stay. The Tower Hotel is located right on crazy Sunset Blvd, directly across the street from the touristy Saddle Ranch Chop house, famous for mechanical bull. It’s also a stones throw away from the trendy Mondrian hotel, so you can walk over to the Sky Bar for a drink. Stepping inside the Sunset Tower is immediately calming, and you almost forget you are on Sunset Blvd. It's small, but the decor is exquisite and the service is unparalleled. We checked into a junior suite, on the 14th floor, room 1403. It’s a corner unit, about 500 sq feet with northwest facing views the city & Sunset Blvd. It’s posh and cozy, and its also immediately calming. The room had the faintest scent of cigarettes, but that was easily masked with a scented candle. The living room has a small, comfy couch with a well stocked bar, Nespresso machine and a flat panel tv. The bedroom has a comfy queen size mattress and another flat panel tv. The windows are floor to ceiling; some are difficult to pop open, some are impossible. The room could use more closet space, but we made due. The bathroom is a good size, all marble, with a deep soaking tub, a separate shower, and it’s stocked with bath salts, candles and Khiels products. The room is amazingly quiet for a Sunset Blvd hotel, but being on the 14th floor certainly helps. We spent 4 nights in this unit and immensely enjoyed our time. The terrace bar on the lobby level is beautiful and opens to the pool area. Breakfast is served here and I strongly recommend it. It's also a great place for an evening cocktail. Again, the Tower Bar restaurant is a must for dinner; make a rez. The pool is on the small side, but it’s a beautiful spot to lay out. Refreshingly absent are screaming kids. In summary, stay here. I’m a fussy traveler and I loved it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jeffrey G
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 14, 2012

Thank you so much for another incredible stay .. The attention to detail is second to none and every attempt to make their guests feel welcome and at home is made. The restaurants and pool area are very unique and have a very special atmosphere and the staff are very friendly and work very hard to make your stay enjoyable .. 10 out of ten

James Verschoyle

Beverly Hills
The Beverly Hills Hotel
The Beverly Hills Hotel
#1 of 15 in Beverly Hills

Been to Sunset Tower Hotel? Share your experiences!