All reviews recording studio bedroom villa koi pond dead end street rock star whiskey bar grounds are beautiful rock memorabilia main building rock and roll music industry tucked away rain shower breakfast and dinner an update residential street full kitchen
Selected filters
Reviewed May 4, 2019 via mobile

Great hotel in a perfect location! Staff was very helpfull and very friendly!! We had breakfast and dinner in the hotel restaurant and both were very very good! When we are back in LA we will definitly come back!!

Date of stay: May 2019
Trip type: Traveled with family
Sherpa68561308118, General Manager at Sunset Marquis, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2019

Dear MVelde1,

“Thank you” does not begin to describe our appreciation for your thoughtful review. Beyond your kind words for our “perfect location” and the culinary delights you enjoyed at Cavatina, we greatly appreciate your compliments for our friendly team members. We’re fortunate to have an amazing staff at the Sunset Marquis who are absolutely genuine in wanting every guest to have a memorable stay. We look forward to welcoming you back again on your next visit to Los Angeles.

Reviewed February 17, 2019

Having come of age as a rock & roll hotel, the Sunset Marquis keep discretion a priority and muffled sound a raison d'être. Large rooms around the pool, larger spaces towards. the back (many around gardens) give the Marquis a feeling of a small community.
With two bars, a quiet dining area, beautifully tended flora, trees and even a koi pond make this an oasis steps from the trendy part of Sunset. Whatever you want, glam shopping, sushi, a killer book store, a great Catholic Church, French food, the Comedy Store, it's footsteps away. And the Viper Room, Whiskey A Go Go, Rainbow and Roxy are just a little farther away.
Staff is discrete and personally invested in their guests. Ask, and they will try to help. Truly help, not just refer you to some website, or other staff member. Tucked away, you never know who you might see... and that's just the bonus fun.

Room tip: Morrison Hotel Gallery is in the lobby. Great rock photos for sale, or to just appreciate. Iconic images. Take the time...
Date of stay: November 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
Sherpa68561308118, General Manager at Sunset Marquis, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2019

Dear LadyGoodman615,

We couldn’t have described the essence of the hotel better ourselves – a “small community” feeling where all of our guests immediately become part of our family upon arrival. Your review eloquently captures the experience of Sunset Marquis so perfectly, highlighting our musical heritage, its convenience to the “trendy parts of Sunset”, and most certainly the genuine hospitality of our staff. We thank you for taking a moment to share your impressions with us and the TripAdvisor community and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed February 12, 2019 via mobile

Excellent customer service and it’s still unbelievable to me that the gardens and pools create a paradise like respite after a long day at work or play. It’s like going on vacation in the middle of West Hollywood. The rooms are perfectly outfitted and larger than most I’ve seen around that part of town. Food is decent but could step up its game to match the other luxury hotels in the area. And some rooms in the front building need a refresh - definitely ask to see your room before unpacking. But overall it’s an amazing experience with customer service that goes beyond what it is expected.

Date of stay: November 2018
Trip type: Traveled on business
1  Thank John-K-Rex
Sherpa68561308118, General Manager at Sunset Marquis, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2019

Dear John-K-Rex,

Thank you for your thoughtful review and continued loyalty. It makes us so happy to hear from returning guests and your gracious praise of our modern-meets-Zen atmosphere is no exception. It is wonderful to know that we remain a perfect fit for you in both accommodation and service and we look forward to continuing to be your home-away-from-home in West Hollywood for years to come.

Reviewed January 30, 2019 via mobile

I was fortunate enough to be able to take my girlfriend to LA for a weekend. The only event I had planned was a trip to the Comedy Store and while looking for hotels, the Sunset Marquis popped up due to its proximity. I booked it on a whim and didn't think much of it.

Upon arriving we were greeted with warmth and everyone we saw helped us however they could. When we finally got to our room it wasn't quite what I expected as it was a standard king room. It was beautiful and luxurious but I was hoping for something more for this occasion. I spoke with the front desk and immediately got to tour a junior suite- I upgraded us for a very fair and heftily discounted rate.

The suite seemed like something from a movie; it was absolutely stunning in every way: high ceilings, wide hallway going into the bedroom, trees/greenery outside of our windows, the most comfortable mattress I've ever felt combined with sheets that I've been shopping for since and, to top it off, a bathroom that would justify the cost of upgrading all by itself. We had a freestanding tub and a shower next to it. Being quite tall, I appreciated the shower head being on the tall ceiling as I normally have to duck down. The only issue we had was with our tub drain. However, a maintenance person came out within minutes of me calling and was done in the same amount of time. This room honestly may have been TOO nice as we didn't want to leave.

The area past the lobby is a sort of connected patio/pool area in the middle of a U shaped structure which consists of the standard/non-suite rooms. This area is quiet and seems isolated from the busy world outside. Off to the side, there is a path leading to the suites which are even more private and isolated. There are sun-beds and chairs around the wading pool; it's perfect to kick back and take a load off or to wait for your room to be ready. My only (minor) issue with this area was with someone's small dog running around the beds and up to us. I love dogs and depending on how you look at it, this could speak to how great the Marquis is as nobody bothers you unless you seek them out and the staff aren't uptight unless somebody actually complains.

The decor in the whole place is fantastic as well and does a great job of making you feel like you're in a new and special place rather than any old hotel. It's very 'LA' with whole walls of autographed pictures of celebrities as well as guitars and other memorabilia placed strategically along the path you take to your room. We later learned this is because the place is known for housing artists and celebrities who like it for the luxury and, possibly more so, the fact that employees and residents don't bother them like the general public. Taking this walk makes you realize just how large the whole campus is and how much thought went into every detail. When I make it back to LA I will be staying here again.

Date of stay: April 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank MLewczuk
Reviewed January 26, 2019

The service is amazing and the grounds are beautiful; 2 pools and a restaurant on the premises. The location is good and there are also always interesting people around. This is always my first choice for the place to stay.

Room tip: a villa if you can afford it!
Date of stay: January 2019