“like home!”
Review of Sunset Marquis

Sunset Marquis
Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in West Hollywood
Reviewed November 19, 2009

We have stayed at the Sunset Marquis several times a year for about 15 years. It just keeps getting better. A key test of any property is consistency. Much if not most of the staff has been at the hotel for at least 10 years. They are charming, efficient, and seem never to forget a face. The addition of the new villas has kicked everything up a notch. Comfort is superb. Food.....always good.....is even better. The welcome is even warmer.
While very sophisticated, there's a wonderful feeling of "family", probably because the hotel doesn't attract bus or tour groups, and is mostly populated by repeat guests. Highly, unequivocally recommended!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank trigger18

Reviewed September 30, 2009

Welcome to a hidden little quiet hotel. Very pretty and kick back vibe.......chill and be seen! Very young hip hotel close to Sunset yet no noise from the strip. Very pleasant staff. No stuffy arrival scene. I enjoyed my six days here the restaurant is so pretty at night. The food is good however breakfast there is a rip off. Go up the hill to Mels or the diner on sunset excellent and not so over priced. Dinner was nice as the restaurant setting is magical. Way to many cool looking people who actually are cool!!!! But if your into that be prepared as most guests are in the bizzzzzzz. Though if your not they will still treat you very well. Enjoy this little bit of sanctuary in the midst of LA.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank SurfandturfNewYork
Reviewed September 18, 2009

First, the good. The food is extraordinary. Both the quality of the meals and the service is a cut above, whether through room service or the lovely restaurant. Very well done. The bed was a feather soft bed; If that's your preference you'll be delighted. The common areas can be very nice.

The facility, however, needs freshening. Old tube-type TVs are a surprise at this price level, and the bathroom suffered from low-water-pressure and some caked dirt. Light fixtures are aged and deteriorating as are the carpets and furniture. Fitness needs are fulfilled up the hill and down the street and vary daily, sometimes good, others lacking. You might get a room like mine, with little light and a balcony view of a wall a few feet away. This room had poor wifi access (intermittent, $12 day) and terrible cellular signals (I carry a spare on a second network, and neither worked more than 25% of the time, less in the room). Room HVAC control is limited by management.

Some of the employees are sharp (restaurant, managers), others make you wonder if they are sober, and guests are apparently permitted all kinds of smoke. Ash trays at the restaurant, acrid smoke in the elevators.

Ultimately, I departed early. Less than a day's notice was given that the hotel would be turned over to an "invitation-only private party" that would transform this small boutique den of privacy to a velvet-roped soiree for 300+, rendering much of the facility inaccessible and bogging down the rest. The noise, I was told, would not likely subside until after midnight, so I reluctantly departed. The manager was nice about it, but with no notice and me hoping to lounge by the pool on my final day, I went elsewhere to ensure prompt parking, access to the restaurant and peace and quiet.

I won't be back, nor will my colleagues, but it was a nice glimpse of an aged Hollywood classic that caters to musicians. We're no prudes (we work in the music business) and will look elsewhere next month. Caveat emptor.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
4  Thank ThePlainsman
MarquisDOM, Director of Marketing at Sunset Marquis, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with the Sunset Marquis Hotel. We do appreciate any and all comments from our guests as it allows us to continually focus on the improvement of the overall guest experience.

I was pleased to read your comments regarding the staff and quality of food at RESTAURANT. Thank you for taking the time to share this with the Trip Advisor community. I was equally displeased to read your comments about the rest of the hotel.

While I cannot comment on your sentiments regarding the style of the hotel as this is a personal preference, I do want to comment on your remarks regarding the climate control and televisions in our rooms. As part of the refurbishments we're undertaking with the suites in our main building, we are replacing the original climate control equipment with all-new, individually controlled a/c and heat units in each suite. All Villas at the Sunset Marquis Hotel already include this feature. Additionally, we are in the process of replacing all old televisions with brand new, 42" HDTVs to complement an all new, extended list of high definition channels for the hotel. Along with these we will be improving the overall appearance of our rooms to include significant changes throughout our suites.

I am sorry to hear you won't be returning to the hotel as I'm sure these changes will address most if not all of your concerns. Should you decide to give us another opportunity though, I invite you to contact me directly at the hotel and set up a tour of the property to see the new changes in advance of your stay, perhaps during your next trip to the area.

Thank you once again for all your feedback.

Reviewed September 14, 2009

We always select hotels that are located in residential areas, away from the glitzy and often tacky areas that attract eager tourists. We prefer a quiet and elegant place to stay when we travel, especially when we are in large cities. The Sunset Marquis is one of those unique hotels and we recommend it highly.
The suites are comfortable, well furnished and spacious and we found the service to be very responsive. The gym facilities were great and we couldn't have been happier with the meals we had when we entertained friends and family. It's a really good choice if you are planning to be in West Hollywood.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 10, 2009

We live in Hermosa Beach and our family did a mini family reunion at the Hotel.
I had so much fun just hanging out in our BEAUTIFUL villa, lying around by the pool, and eating delicious gourmet food (in the room and at the restaurant!). Something that I really did appreciate about the hotel was the fact that I felt like I had a lot of privacy because of the greenery and the villa; at the same time, it didn't seem like we were isolated from all of the luxuries the hotel had to offer. Whoever went out of their way to put both a fruit basket (which by the way, was delicious and exotic) AND freshly baked cookies in our room before we arrived is my official hero! ALL of the staff was extremely friendly and attentive -- from the waiters, to the pool staff, to the concierge -- and I was very impressed with the fact everyone was so concerned with us having a luxurious and comfortable stay. The grounds are absolutely beautiful. So beautiful in fact that I felt it necessary to take out my camera and start taking pictures of various flowers! I felt like I was in a calm, cool oasis in the midst of a scorching hot West Hollywood. Seriously, the Sunset Marquis is AMAZING! When I got into bed (after watching a movie on the giant flat screen our room so conveniently had in its living room) I pretty much felt like I was collapsing into a flurry of clouds; It doesn't get much better than that! Thank you to the Sunset Marquis for a great time.

Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank jharris2466
Reviewed August 6, 2009

We have stayed at this hotel on a number of occasions and I have to say it is one of my favourite hotels in the world, particularly now the hotel has been extended to incorporate the new villas. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful, whilst striking that all important balance between being available when needed but respecting your privacy ~ you really feel as if every effort is made to make your stay as enjoyable as possible. The attention to detail is prevalent throughout the hotel. I would certainly recommend this hotel, wonderful staff, location and rooms. No negative comments to raise and we are looking forward to our next stay!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 1, 2009

The reservationist handled my last-minute reservation very nicely. The valet and front desk staff were very nice about my showing up three hours before check-in. Room wasn't ready yet, but they happily stored our luggage while we went to the restaurant for a nice lunch. Restaurant was very comfortable and relaxing--the setting and gardens are really pretty and the service was good. Not fast, but good.

Pros and cons, in no particular order: Our Junior Suite was roomy with truly fabulous bedding. There really ought to be a sofa or something in the room besides the one semi-comfortable chair. Furniture showed moderate wear (scratches and dings), carpet had some spots. The bathroom was VERY basic and small. Cleanliness was okay but could have been better. My room faced west over the pool, and was very bright with lots of windows. The balcony was nice to sit on. I was mystified by the lack of coffee maker and the elderly television, and the lack of an alarm clock of any kind. Am I alone in liking wash cloths? There weren't any. Room service was prompt and the food was good. Also, hotels need to grow up and STOP charging for WiFi! This is the 21st century!!

There's lots of room for improvement, but there's a very nice, relaxed ambiance about the place. The grounds are really lovely and it's peaceful in a way you don't expect so close to Sunset.

• Stayed: July 2009