“Lovely garden and restful stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Sunset Marquis

Sunset Marquis
Ranked #7 of 18 Hotels in West Hollywood
“Lovely garden and restful stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

We stayed in March in one of the villa suites. The room was very nice, well appointed and clean. The beds were incredible! The hotel is quiet and very central. The walk through the jasmine and gardenia scented garden to our room was lovely. Would stay there agwin

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

This place is a hidden gem in West Hollywood. The service was unparallelled from the moment you step into the lobby. Complimentary drink upon arrival and warm hostess.
We were pleasantly surprised to receive free room service shortly after settling in to our villa, that included a wine/cheese/fruit spread!! Everyone here is super friendly and accommodating and the grounds are beautiful. There is an adorable foot bridge over a Koi pond and several small, outdoor lounge areas. The hotel room itself was spectacular and the bathroom was right out of a magazine.

All in all well worth the money if you are looking to get pampered.

*Also a great place to spot celebrities*

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

Usually stay at 5 star hotels in LA, but like many travelers these days, needed to find a more moderately priced alternative. Took a chance on Sunset Marquis and was pleasantly surprised. It delivers an authentic LA experience. Combination of young cool LA crowd, tourists, and business travelers. Laid back feeling, nicely landscaped grounds hidden away from the street. Terrific bathrooms and amenities. Service, although always prompt and pleasant, could have been a little sharper, but after a while, it feels like a natural part of the vibe. I'll return and recommend it to others.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Arroyo Grande, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013

This was just an overnight stay, but I would recommend this as an excellent place to stay. It is on a dead end street so traffic is minimal and the whole staff was friendly. It was also quite quiet at night, and with it's location, you would not expect that. We had a lovely time.

Room Tip: We were away from the pool and I think that was the reason our room was very quiet even on the first...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Calgary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013

Logan. Olivia. Greg. I know the names of these Sunset Marquis employees because they are worth remembering.

From check-in to check-out, there was not a single moment that I wasn't completely satisfied with my first-ever (and certainly not last-ever) stay at Sunset Marquis. The owners and the staff at this exceptional property take great pride in the historic hotel with which they are connected, and take great satisfaction in ensuring that their guests feel that same pride.

RESTAURANT, which dwells in an oasis of foliage, was a delight to walk into for the very first time. The ambience in the restaurant is at once both exquisite and relaxed. There is none of the pretentiousness that one might find at other high-end hotel restaurants, yet there is an air of professionalism from the staff. The food was exceptional. I highly recommend the Peking Duck with beet couscous if it's still on the menu when you visit. Our waiter, Greg, was both pleasant and knowledgeable. I regret that we didn't get back there on our second night to utilize his services again.

Logan's enthusiasm is unparalleled. This bellman has got to be one of the friendliest, most interesting, and most accommodating I have ever met. I would love to have a beer with this guy. On the morning of day two, he brought us downstairs to visit Nightbird Studios. My musician friend who was in my company was enthralled and impressed.

Before arriving in L.A., I had reserved a very specific car from a rental agency. When they called in the morning and advised that they'd be extending the rental with the person who already had it, Logan suggested that I walk to Olivia in the concierge office to see if she could help. Not only did she find me the exact same model with another agency, but she got them to offer it at the sale rate that I had previously booked at. Vroom!

Having just spent the previous few nights RV camping in the desert for Coachella, the refinement that Sunset Marquis offered was very welcome. From the delicious bed, to the oversized shower, to the gorgeous artwork that pervades the property, this really is a wonderful spot to clean up.

I've never really had much of a draw to L.A. While I know that there's plenty there, it simply has not been at the top of my list of places to visit. With my first stay at Sunset Marquis under my belt, I'm excited to go back. With this exceptional property as my home base, I am now much more intrigued to give the area some exploration.

I stayed in the hotel proper, and specifically in room 208. It's a renovated room that offers a ton of room and very nice finishes. With the oversized and recessed balcony, you can get yourself a very nice room without having to spring for the villas if they are beyond your needs or wallet.

Room Tip: I loved room 208.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank John S
Paradise Valley, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

I hesitate to write this review, as I am afraid everyone will stay here, and I will have trouble getting a reservation in the future! This hotel is a small quaint hotel on a dead end street just off of Sunset Blvd. The pool is lovely, the pool bartender is great and we really enjoyed the restaurant. The rooms are lovely, we were on the third floor with a pool view. The only thing this room was lacking was a coffee maker. Turn down service in the evening is a nice surprise, with chocolates!

Room Tip: I think the villas are more recently remodeled, so if it is in your budget, go for that.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

Everything I've written in my previous review still holds true. As time goes on, this hotel continues to be a perfect Easter destination. For four years in a row, we've held our own impromptu Easter egg hunt in the delightful villa gardens (all supplies for the Easter Bunny bought down the block at CVS). This is not a "family" hotel, but Sunset Marquis' staff are wonderfully welcoming and accommodating toward kids. This year our son (age 8) got a great amenity gift and a really fun Passport in which he was asked to explore various areas of the hotel to collect stamps and goodies. Really fun for him. And we've continued to delight in the Easter buffet. Pricey, yes. But with bottomless mimosas, 8 lavish tables of food, omelet bar, leg of lamb, sushi display, king crab, 4 kinds of caviar and the kindest, most casual & friendly staff you'll ever meet... this is well worth it. As far as the rooms, get a villa, it's worth it. The serene, calm & comfort are worth every penny. We are also a giant fan of room service... the dining areas in the villas are comfy just like home. The staff will set up the table for you to enjoy some great family time without the hassle of cooking or cleaning. Food is delicious! Of course, you'll see famous people here, but that's not the point. The point is, you'll be treated like a celebrity no matter who you are. We truly love this place and plan on making it an annual destination for years to come.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
MarquisDOM, Manager at Sunset Marquis, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
AWhitby,

Thank you so very much for taking the time to write your review. We're very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us, and that your family and children did too. Oh wait! You brought kids?!?! I thought we weren't kid-friendly! But we have a program for kids? No way! :) Just kidding. We do love to see families join us at Sunset Marquis though. Please help us overcome that mean stereotype!