“Fourth annual trip” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in West Hollywood
Chicago, Illinois
“Fourth annual trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

Everything I've written in my previous review still holds true. As time goes on, this hotel continues to be a perfect Easter destination. For four years in a row, we've held our own impromptu Easter egg hunt in the delightful villa gardens (all supplies for the Easter Bunny bought down the block at CVS). This is not a "family" hotel, but Sunset Marquis' staff are wonderfully welcoming and accommodating toward kids. This year our son (age 8) got a great amenity gift and a really fun Passport in which he was asked to explore various areas of the hotel to collect stamps and goodies. Really fun for him. And we've continued to delight in the Easter buffet. Pricey, yes. But with bottomless mimosas, 8 lavish tables of food, omelet bar, leg of lamb, sushi display, king crab, 4 kinds of caviar and the kindest, most casual & friendly staff you'll ever meet... this is well worth it. As far as the rooms, get a villa, it's worth it. The serene, calm & comfort are worth every penny. We are also a giant fan of room service... the dining areas in the villas are comfy just like home. The staff will set up the table for you to enjoy some great family time without the hassle of cooking or cleaning. Food is delicious! Of course, you'll see famous people here, but that's not the point. The point is, you'll be treated like a celebrity no matter who you are. We truly love this place and plan on making it an annual destination for years to come.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
AWhitby,

Thank you so very much for taking the time to write your review. We're very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us, and that your family and children did too. Oh wait! You brought kids?!?! I thought we weren't kid-friendly! But we have a program for kids? No way! :) Just kidding. We do love to see families join us at Sunset Marquis though. Please help us overcome that mean stereotype!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
  • Indonesian first
Schenectady, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

I spent all day at the restaurant/pool/bar and had the best time. The atmosphere is really inviting, the bartender was great, service was the best, and there are so many cool people from every facet staying at this hotel. I'd describe it more as a resort than a hotel; spending a day at the Sunset Marquis felt like a relaxing vacation! After going out, I arrived back to the hotel in the middle of the night and the staff were still really friendly and energetic!

Our balcony was beautiful so I opted to sleep on the couch on the balcony!

Room Tip: Room with a balcony view of the courtyard
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
MarquisDOM, Manager at Sunset Marquis, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Alexis! No moving furniture! We have staff to do that for you. ;) Glad you enjoyed your stay, and the pool and the restaurant and the bar. Thank you for taking the time to post your review.
Kapaa, Hawaii
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

I have a couple favorite hotels in West Hollywood. I am again staying at The Sunset Marquis this trip. This hotel is such a sanctuary in the middle of LA. It is like coming home. The staff remembers you, they are genuine and want to insure you have a great stay. I love the restaurant, the grounds and, the SPA. I am on a trip to visit friends, if not for that I would not leave the hotel. The beds are so comfortable it is like they swallow you up. Without question this is the finest hotel in the city of LA. If you try it you will go back..I mentioned the restaurant, they have a new Chef and the menu is new. The Chinese Chicken Salad at lunch was incredible..I just really love this hotel.

Room Tip: Book a villa.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Sleepy Hollow, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

Spent Oscar week here for 6 days and it was relaxing and a home away from home. The staff was wonderful and the rooms were very big. The pool area was great and had a lot of sunlight. The only complaint I have is that the hotel bar opened at 8 and it is a tiny complaint. I loved the history of the hotel as many rock stars stayed,overdosed, and almost died there. The Jim Morrison museum was nice. I highly recommend staying at this hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
MarquisDOM, Manager at Sunset Marquis, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
TimmyDyer - thanks so much for your review, and super glad you enjoyed your stay. Yes, our lobby bar opens at 8pm every night, but we also have a great bar back by the restaurant open all day long, so please join us there earlier in the evening on your next visit. Also glad to hear you enjoyed your visit to the Gallery. It's actually the Morrison Hotel Gallery, not exactly a museum dedicated to Jim, although that would certainly be worthwhile. As our newest addition to the hotel, we're very proud to have a selection of some of the most iconic images taken by many of the best celebrity photographers in the world. Hope to see you back soon!
Houston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

Spent Grammy week-end at the Sunset Marquis and despite the hotel being completely sold out, there was no attention to detail spared by the excellent staff. My friend and I stayed in the main building in 2 rooms that have been updated. They were beautiful and modern, with exceptional showers (one of my most important criteria for a hotel I will return to!). But, as comfortable, hip and stylish as the rooms and the hotel are, the real reason to stay at the Sunset Marquis is the exceptional and remarkable staff. They are helpful, thoughtful, patient and truly committed to the highest levels of customer service. My friend and I are not music or entertainment VIPs (though there were plenty there over Grammy week-end, at this hotel frequented by musicians and their bands), but you'd never know it from the 5-star treatment we received while at the hotel. It was another 5-star stay and I cannot wait to go back for a longer stay!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Astoria, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

I stayed at the Sunset Marquis for the first time this past week. It was only for one night but as I'll be doing more and more business in LA, I'll be back. It's always nice to go back to a hotel after being in meetings all day where you can take a breath, sit outside and not feel like your walking into a nondescript building.

I had a suite on the first floor which was really great. The layout would work for a meeting and or a casual night in. The only thing I can't get used to is having a sliding door right outside of the bedroom. I can see how that can be convenient & cool but for me, I wasn't into it.

My boss stayed in a one bedroom villa which was beautiful as well. It was way more private and tucked away. However, the only difference I saw was the location and the bathroom. His bathroom was beautiful and large. The linens might have been upgraded as well.

I didn't appreciate that my room wasn't ready until after 4.30pm and it didn't matter to me that it was Grammy week.
I'm not sure if I'd bring a family here but it was great for business!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
lunagoddess77

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. Glad you enjoyed yourself. We apologize your room wasn't ready upon your arrival. Check out time is noon, and when we have a full house it is sometimes difficult to get all the rooms cleaned in time for the 4pm check in. We promise to do better next time, and we've indicated the issue in your folio for reference upon your next stay.

Our over-sized rooms and work space really do make them convenient for business travelers, and we are indeed focused on creating an environment conducive to relaxing after a hard day of meetings.

Again, apologies for the late check in, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

We had the pleasure of staying at the Sunset Marquis in July 2012 when we were in town for a party. We loved this hotel. The room was big, the bed was comfortable, the bathroom was modern and well equipped. Modern, but with a retro vibe. We got a real kick out of looking at all the photos of rock and roll stars who have stayed at the Sunset Marquis over the years. Both pool areas were gorgeous and we wished we had stayed another day to spend more time lounging. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Hollywood.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple