“Nice hotel. Awful customer Service.”

Ramada Plaza West Hollywood Hotel & Suites
Ranked #14 of 19 Hotels in West Hollywood
West Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Nice hotel. Awful customer Service.”
Reviewed February 9, 2011

I have stayed at numerous hotels and am a seasoned traveler. I have stayed at Wyndham hotels and have always been satisfied. That was up until I stayed at the Ramada in West Hollywood.
I often travel to Los Angeles for work. On this trip I unfortunately lost my debit card. My assistant went on travelocity to book me a hotel for my stay.We saw the Ramada in west hollywood. there were numerous comments about the customer service being very poor but i had had good luck with the ramada brand in the past so i decided to give it a try.
i have to say that every negative comment was very true. i have honestly never experienced such poor customer service from a hotel before.
When I checked in I explained to the front desk clerk that I had lost my debit card but that I had a prepaid reservation. His response was a very rude "what does that mean to me". I said that i realize that they have polices in place, but since this was a short stay and prepaid reservation i was hoping they could simply turn off the incidentals. he then said that i would have to speak to his manager. i said fine.
I explained the situation to the manager, Steve Lorincz, and was again met with a very rude response. He told me that there was nothing he could do. finally after i argued the point that the hotel had already received payment for the room and that they could turn off the incidentals he said that i could leave a cash deposit. i said that i would attempt to get to my bank to work that out. due to work i was unable to make it to the bank. when i returned from work the following evening the front desk clerk informed me i had been locked out of my room. i said that i was checking out the next day and that all the incidentals were off so i did not understand why they were being so rude in this extenuating situation. he then said i would need to speak with the same manager again. He went in the back to get the manager and then returned to say that he was on dinner and i would have to wait for 15 mins. I was then made to sit and wait for a person who was there but just did not feel it was a priority to come out and speak to me. And when he did come out he helped other customers who had just arrived before dealing with me. what happened to putting the customer first. The manager then proceeded to argue with me telling me that he felt that he had done me a favor by letting me check into a room that was in fact already paid for. He then continued to argue with me for 20 minutes about how he felt that he had done a good thing by letting me in the room. I tried to make him understand that as the customer, if my perception was that the transaction did not go smoothly then that is all that matters. How he sees it is irrelevant. After I was finally given a new key and was walking away he commented, I hope you do not charge anything to the room. Again, rude to the end.
i have to say that I will honestly never stay at a ramada hotel again. The manner in which i was treated was simply unacceptable. As a customer i understand that there are policies and procedures in place, but sometimes a business must go above and beyond to service the customer. This seems to not be the case with this Ramada. The hotel already had the room and tax. i was not asking to stay for free but simply for understanding in a situation that was less than ideal for all parties involved.I really hope that something is done to try and improve the customer service at this hotel, because that aside it is actually not a bad place to stay.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank elimke
ramadaweho, Manager at Ramada Plaza West Hollywood Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, February 14, 2011
I’m very sorry to hear about that the circumstances regarding your missing debit card and how poorly the situation was handled by our front desk staff.

Though It is our policy to obtain a deposit from our guests to cover not only incidental charges, but to cover any potential damage to the guestroom and the items contained in the room,
there is no excuse on how poorly the situation was handled by our front office staff.

I will speak with both guest service attendants about this matter and how it could’ve been handled more professionally.

I have instructed our accounting department to issue a room credit for -1- night room for your inconvenience.

Again, I’m very sorry that this situation was not handled in a more courteous and professional, manner.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed February 7, 2011

If you are travelling to LA..look no further than the Ramada Plaza Hotel. We were made very welcome and all staff were very helpful. Rooms were great .
Walking distance for shopping and some sites, however got great help from the Concierge ( thanks Jose ) for taxi and arranging all the tours.
When back in LA will only stay at the Ramada Plaza
Thanks to all the management and staff concerned
Peter M

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
ramadaweho, Manager at Ramada Plaza West Hollywood Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, March 3, 2011
We're glad you enjoyed your stay at Ramada Plaza Hotel.

The hotel is within walking distance of several shopping locations and a variety of sites.

I'm also glad to hear that our concierge staff, especially Jose, was helpful in arranging your taxi and your tours.

We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Belo Horizonte, MG
Reviewed February 5, 2011

Stayed for 3 nights in January. Best thing is the location, one of the few places in LA were you can actually walk! I even returned my rental car early. Taking into consideration the $27 daily parking fee and the rental cost, I suppose you're better off taking the occasional taxi (unless your really want to go far in LA).

This is a mid range hotel, not luxurious, that is to be expected for the price, but there are ways to improve. The room was big enough, had a balcony, and bed was comfy. But lighting was poor and decor a bit dark. Bathroom was spacious with good shower and tub, quality toiletries and plenty of fresh towels.

The problem is really the service. I mean, the staff is nice, but one day, I went sightseeing, came back at 3PM and the room hadn't been cleaned. Took a nap and by the time I left for dinner at 7 there was no housekeeping staff. Front desk staff is helpful but they did could not take care of simple services, for example, when I needed flowers to be delivered to a local LA address.

Oh, internet is free but very slow, and was out of service for almost 12hours.

Would stay again for the location.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
ramadaweho, Manager at Ramada Plaza West Hollywood Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, February 7, 2011
Thank you for your comments. It has been brought to our attention that some guests find the guestroom lighting could be better. We're currently exploring a few different options to address this concern.

I'm sorry to hear that organizing you flower delivery was a problem. The hotel maintains a concierge staff to personally handle these type of services, so I will need to find out additional details of why this didn't happen in a timely manner.

I apologize your room was not serviced when you returned. During busy periods, sometimes our guestrooms are not serviced until later in the day. We have an attendant that works in the evening, so if service is required, the attendant can freshen the room upon request.

The majority of the housekeeping staff leaves the premises by 5pm, so if you were taking a nap, its possible between 3pm - 4:30pm, the staff did not want to disturb you and left before completing your room. I'm sorry we did not have an opportunity to service the room before you returned at 3pm.

At times, wireless internet speed can be reduced depending on total bandwidth usage. Our service provider does monitor bandwidth for the hotel and we attempt to always provide sufficient bandwith performance for our customers.
San Diego
Reviewed January 23, 2011

We got to LA very late and needed a place to stay close to Cedar Sinai Hospital. We booked this after 9PM on a Thursday evening, and got a reasonable rate for $130, and parking was $15. Rooms were quite stylish for a Ramada--guess we were in West Hollywood! Lots of mirrors--one 10 ft wall was covered with a mirror. Large flat screen TV. Service was prompt upon check in.

I left my cell phone charger there and called the hotel to retrieve it. She put a call into housekeeping but didn't hear back, so we went over there. They located the charger, so that was good. It was extremely busy with full elevators when we went back to get the charger. It was a Friday evening so I guess that may account for it.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your compliments regarding the guestrooms. It certainly doesn't hurt to have
42" HDTV's in the rooms either.

I'm also glad to hear you received your phone charger. Friday's and Saturday's usually are a very busy time for the hotel.

Also, the majority of our housekeeping staff finish around 5pm, so any lost and found items are followed up the next morning.
Greater Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 22, 2011

Recently renovated hotel, offering functional amenities in a very central location. The staff were all very helpful and I am satisfied that I made the right choice. If you want hip trendy minimalist hotels, WEHO has loads of them to choose from but I hate such pretentious places! And I hate the high rates they charge even more!
I would never have considered a Ramada property before, as the image of the brand is rather dated, but this property was a breath of fresh air and I would certainly recommend it.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
ramadaweho, General Manager at Ramada Plaza West Hollywood Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, January 26, 2011
I couldn't have said it better myself. We're glad you enjoyed you stay!

WEHO is an excellent location to stay when visiting Los Angeles and the surrounding areas.
Reviewed January 11, 2011

This is a very clean, safe hotel. It is in a diverse area of west hollywood. Notwalking distance to many restuarants but a good location to get to fun things by cab.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
ramadaweho, Manager at Ramada Plaza West Hollywood Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, January 13, 2011
Thank you for your review of Ramada Plaza - West Hollywood

We feel the hotel is affordable and has an excellent location. It's close to Beverly Hiills, Hollywood and many of the nicers areas of Los Angeles.

I also appreciate your comments about the neatness and cleanliness of the hotel. The staff here tries very hard to keep the property as clean and tidy as possible.
Perth, WA
Reviewed December 31, 2010

This hotel was not on my list of preferred places to stay in the LA area but it was affordable and as it turned out a great place to stay. We arrived by cab from a downton Hotel at a cost of US$45 including tip but it was money well spent. My wife and I spent a very pleasant week here and found it good value for money. The location doesn't appear the best but it's on Santa Monica Boulevard and the Sunset Strip is just up the hill. Transport to downtown LA and Union station was within 100 metres and the trip downtown only took about 40 minutes by bus and US$1.60. Its relative closeness to some really good attractions such as Paramount and Universal studios, and the La Brea tarpits museum helped it work its way up the list.

The facility itself was very neat and clean and the staff most helpful. Maid service was very efficient and a few tips and a little politeness went a long way . We had a room facing the condos next door so it was fairly quiet. Just at the front of the building was a Wells Fargo Bank and an outside teller machine. There was a bar but if you were prepared for a short walk along SMB you would discover Barney's Beanery and that is a place where you just HAVE to have a drink at the end of the day.

Yes the hotel is in a gay area (which initially was a bit off-putting) but it was very safe and while it appears isolated it's a fairly typical American suburb, pretty well spread out but with lots of shops, bars and restaurants. Just up the road was a Trader Joes where we brought our daily supplies including our wine and it was great value. The only problem is the advice about distances. Things that are said to be only a mile or so generally aren't and are closer to 6 to 7 miles (10 - 11 km) so the public transport option is a necessary one; unless you want to waste money on cabs or drive.

All in all, once we got used to the layout of the West Hollywood area and a sense of direction we found moving around a much larger metroplolis than we are used to became possible and we both enjoyed our stay very much.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple