“Decent base in West Hollywood”

Ramada Plaza West Hollywood Hotel & Suites
Ranked #14 of 19 Hotels in West Hollywood
Reviewed August 17, 2010

My boyfriend and I have stayed here twice, and will be staying here again October 2010. Each stay has been pleasant and problem free!

The rooms are very clean and modern. I love the bed, the pillows are so comfy. They have a coin operated laundry on every floor I stayed on, came in handy after travelling for a month. In room safe and a mini bar, too. Free wifi for guests which was great.

Location wise, it was one of the more affordable hotels in West Hollywood and close by to Sunset Strip and Hollywood itself. It was a longish walk from Hollywood and Highland back to the hotel, but was also somewhat enjoyable as we were exploring along the way. It is an uphill walk to Sunset Strip from the hotel, I dont recommend doing it in high heels, ladies. Ouch.

We caught a bus to Santa Monica, the bus stop was across the road from the hotel. Only a short taxi ride into most places.

Have stayed here before and will again.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Ramada Plaza West Hollywood Hotel & Suites

Reviewed July 30, 2010

This visit to the Ramada Plaza Hotel West Hollywood was actually my second stay.
The first time I stayed at this property was July 2004.
I would highly recommend reserving & paying for one of the larger rooms, an executive suite or one of the loft suites. The standard rooms at this property are TINY. Unless you're traveling solo to experience the WEHO nightlife, a standard room at this hotel will not accommodate your needs.

I had a great experience during my July 2010 at this hotel. The parking charge is an extra $27.00 a day, but any other nearby hotel charges a similar rate for parking.
I made my reservation for a loft suite in February 2010 and received an average rate of $163.48 for my 3 night stay.
This rate was exactly appropriate for the comfort level and quality of the hotel and the
spiral suite that I received.
Other more luxurious hotels very nearby were very close to this rate and parking fee, but I didn't like the fact that they didn't have a self parking option. Most are valet only.
I like coming and going at my pleasure. I really don't want interaction with a hotel staff member every single time I'm coming or going.

The Spiral Suite (Loft Suite) that I stayed in upon my arrival was exactly as pictured on the hotel website. At check in I did choose a room without a sofabed in order to have a Suite with a small balcony.
My room included a larger than average bathroom with just enough space on the vanity that two gay men could sprawl all of their products and not compete for space.
The kitchenette in the suite was perfect for us to store perishables and make our own breakfast each day.
The room included two flatscreen TV's. One in the downstairs living area and one in the upstairs bedroom area.
The bedroom included plenty of storage space and two chairs and a table, and the bed itself was very comfortable.
There was a little street noise from the sliding glass door, but nothing that kept me awake or annoyed me to any great level.
If you make the choice to stay at the Ramada Plaza it is usually because you are in the area and want easy access to the restaurants, clubs and bars, shopping, and cultural events in the West Hollywood / Beverly Hills / Hollywood area.
Parking at this hotel and walking to all the WEHO nightlife options is pretty much what this property is all about.
Besides the nighttime clubbing options, there are many nearby restaurants and shops worth visiting that are well within walking distance from the hotel.
(So long as you're not too lazy to walk a couple of blocks.) Millions of Milkshakes is also a must if you stay at Ramada Plaza WEHO.
This was a short trip for my boyfriend and me. We only spent 3 days & nights in the area after spending 5 days in the San Diego area for their Pride Festival.
We visited the Beverly Center Mall, Santa Monica, and the Griffith Observatory during our daytime outings and went to Micky's and Tigerheat at night.

If you plan to visit the West Hollywood / Beverly Hills / Hollywood area and want a Clean, Comfortable, and slightly above average tourist class hotel then the Ramada Plaza would be an excellent choice so long as you don't have high expectations for
luxury. There are no marble floors or tubs or showers, the furnishings are quite basic and the quality of the hotel soap & shampoo is very low.
I expected this and brought my own and purchased soap at the Trader Joe's just down from the hotel.
The elevators are also VERY slow.
If you want luxury for a nearly similar price, stay in one of the nearby boutique hotels. There are several within close proximity.

The ONLY issues I experienced during my visit were upon entering my room; the small refrigerator was not working. Maintenance came right up and fixed the problem. The cold level on the rear of the refrigerator was turned off. I believe my room had not been used in a while.
Also, one evening I was called by the desk staff and informed that I had parked in a restricted area of their parking garage that was reserved for another business in the complex. I had previously parked in this same area of the parking garage with no hassle whatsoever. I was informed that if I didn't immediately move my vehicle it would be towed. I complied and there was no problem. However, if there had been adequate signage in the restricted area in the first place there would have never been an issue.
Lastly, in order to use the elevator you must place your room key next to a sensor just below the elevator button. This is a security feature to prevent non guests from gaining access to upper floors of the property. The staff does nothing to explain this process at check in. Almost every newly registered guest I encountered during my comings and goings had no clue they had to do this to operate the elevator.
Also familiarize yourself with the location of the stairs on each floor. It was MUCH easier to take the stairs down rather than wait for the elevators.

I will give high marks to the housekeeping staff in their duties and also mention that the pool area and pool were nicer than I expected from the photos on the hotel website.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 28, 2010

We had read reports of bed bugs and roaches posted by several guests, so before deciding whether to stay here we called the hotel to discuss. We spoke to "Flaviu", who said he was the manager on duty, and we told him about the reviews online that mentioned bugs. He stated that there were definitely no pests, as the property is a "four-star" hotel. He also commented that some people are impossible to please and will write anything online to discredit the hotel. Believing him, we made our reservation and stayed in Room 429 on Sun Jul 25/10. Unfortunately, but I guess not surprisingly, we had to contend with about A DOZEN ROACHES in the bathroom and by the window. Worrying about them made for an unrestful sleep. Thankfully, there were no bed bugs. In our opinion, the MANAGEMENT IS UNETHICAL to deny the presence of bugs when asked, just to secure a reservation.

When we checked out, we complained about the roaches to the front desk clerk and we told him about our prior phone conversation with the manager. Luckily, Flaviu himself was on duty, and he came out of his office and talked to us. He admitted that he remembered the phone call and telling us that there were no bugs. He feigned surprise when he heard that we had encountered cockroaches and he said that he would mention the problem to Housekeeping and to the pest control company the hotel uses. He offered us a free room upgrade on our NEXT stay, in case we wanted to come back to share another room with roaches. NOW, HOW'S THAT FOR CUSTOMER SERVICE?

And here's the topper. There were about ten long distance phone calls on our bill, totalling around $30. However, we did not make a single call on the hotel phone -- we always bring and use our cell phones. The front desk clerk said that there had been a "glitch" earlier that day with phone calls on another guest's bill, so he thought it was probably the same situation. He took the bill to Flaviu to credit the erroneous charges, which he did. Our suspicion is that a member of the housekeeping staff was making unauthorized phone calls in the rooms.
To summarize, the hotel is in a convenient location and is reasonably well appointed, but the DISHONEST STAFF AND MANAGEMENT and the PRESENCE OF COCKROACHES are enough to keep us from staying there again.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank desertfrank
Reviewed July 20, 2010

My girlfriend and I have stayed at the Ramada West Hollywood from June 5th to June 8th, 2010. Everything was good ( the location is very good, but 27 dollars for parking each day was quite expensive) and they even let us do an early check-in without any fees.
However, in the last night of our period there (June 7th) I´ve noticed someone robbed us ! The person robbed: a can of beer - a big red can of Budweiser; and worst, someone opened a bottle of an Absolut "Açaí cherry flavored" Vodka I brought from Brazil and drank 1/5 of it. The bottle was closed with a plastic seal and the person voidd it !

I went down to the lobby and complained about it to the night shift manager ( tall blond guy with a strong russian accent) and He laughed at me, and mocked me about the fact. He told me that call the cops would be a waste of time, for just a can of beer and a bottle vodka. And even implied I was lying ´cause a situation like that never happened on the hotel. I came back to my room, hoping to complain to the morning manager the next morning. But the morning manager was the same guy, and kept laughing and mocking me at me speaking russian to another employee.
I was just beggining a 2 weeks trip in a foreign country ( We are brazilian), and We were not in a mood for fighting, so We´ve decided to let go (although We were very pissed) and enjoy the rest of the trip thru California.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank brunito2
Reviewed July 14, 2010

The service was really good. We needed extra towels and coffee and they were brought up immediately. The concierge was very helpful with tours. The neighborhood was safe and close to attractions and dining. Loved Trader Joes grocery which was next door, since the fridge was decent in the room. The Primo Bistro (hotel diner) was really good and the wait staff friendly. I read a lot of reviews that said the hotel was noisy, but I did not notice it at all. Our room faced the pool and it was too cool to swim. Our airconditioner was loud, but I love to sleep to sound machine/fan, so loved it. The fitness center was not much and the pool was small, but I don't know how they compare to other hotels in the area, so cant really judge.

The Hollywood movie stars homes 2 hour tour in an open top bus was really fun and enabled us to see a lot of the surrounding area. Sunset strip is within walking distance (uphill though).

We ate at Ketchup, really good!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 8, 2010

I was last at the Ramada West Hollywood three years ago, and was not impressed at all. This time, it was much better. #1 reason: the rooms have been renovated. Mine had a comfortable king-size bed, a new flat-screen TV, a mini-fridge, and a spotless bathroom. For the price (a very decent deal on Quikbook), it was excellent.

Remembering past visits, I skipped the hotel restaurant, turned left on Santa Monica, and walked about seven minutes to Hugo's, a local joint offering an excellent breakfast, with lots of organic, vegetarian and vegan options. Other nearby breakfast options include IHOP on Santa Monica and Janky's on Sunset.

Service was solid. No problems getting a document printed from a USB key. Room was cleaned promptly.

My only complaint: an extremely weak wi-fi signal that dropped in and out. Yes, it was free, but this is truly a case of you get what you pay for.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed July 7, 2010

I stayed at this hotel a few times (maybe a few too many) ... the last time my room had cockroaches in it ... (yes I realize that when people bring food into a hotel room that may be the reason for the infestation) .. but when I notified Ramada about it TWICE , you would think they would have at least sent a follow up EMAIL or offer some apology, discount etc.? but NO! NOTHING ! Now whenever I need accommodations, and see a RAMADA , I just say "yecck' and continue my search.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled solo