“Never again, you've lost a regular.”

Le Montrose Suite Hotel
Ranked #11 of 20 Hotels in West Hollywood
Bay Area, CA
“Never again, you've lost a regular.”
Reviewed December 13, 2013

After being a regular client of LeMontrose for over 3 1/2 years, I will never stay here again.
The management clearly doesn't care about how their guests are treated regardless of how much loyalty is demonstrated over several years.

The recent remodeling of the rooms is a visual assault of patterns and cheap finishes. No one is ever comfortable on plastic vinyl sofas. Not sure who the designer was, but clearly they know nothing about hospitality design. Pattern against pattern against patter against pattern is not 'design'.

At this point, I've written the place off completely.

I sent the email below to Stephen Bohjalian the General Manager after having a bad experience and he expressed little concern in addressing my upset and frustration.
------------

Stephen,

I emailing you because I want to let you know that due to the events of my most recent stay at LeMontrose, I will be ending my ongoing patronage.

I’ve been a regular guest of the hotel since July of 2010 when my Dad was diagnosed with cancer. I began regular trips down to L.A. to stay nearby and help him with his chemo at UCLA.

Troy Berry, the revenue manager at the time always took excellent care of me each and every time. From time to time when there were medical emergencies, he was always able to fit me in and very often gave me my preferred rooms as I always stayed a minimum of 5 days, but usually a full week. This has gone on for over three years. With monthly visits of a week @ approx. $1,800.00 including parking and tax, that amounted to $21,600 per year, @ three years - $64,800.00 of revenue for LeMontrose.

During each and every visit, I always parked my own car. A $90,000 BMW 5 series. This was never, ever a problem – not even during the extensive remodel of the hotel which I endured over many of the visits.

Parking my own car was one of the main reasons I selected LeMontrose in the first place. No waiting for Valet to retrieve my car, peace of mind knowing exactly where I left it in the garage and not worrying about a 20-something kid driving my car and being able to run down to the garage if I needed to get something out of the trunk.

Paying $36.00 per night to park – guests should, if they choose, be able to park their own car.

This brings be to this past Thursday, Thanksgiving Day. After driving all day from San Francisco, I was told flatly by the valet attendant that I would not be able to park my own car, that “the rules have changed”.

This was news to me. If this had been mentioned to me when I made the reservation, I would have made other arrangements and not booked at LeMontrose. Period.

I asked Dustin at the front desk(who has also taken very good care of me over the years) about this new rule and he was only able to say that there had been a policy change. I asked for the new manager and Adam Levy finally came out.

I explained to him that I was a long-term, regular guest and have always parked my own car, that it was my preference and that I would like the exception to be made for me. He became indignant.
He talked about how he didn’t want to “get into trouble by allowing that” and that you, Stephen, had set this new rule. He said that there was “construction” happening (which, of course I have encountered many times over the years).

I asked him to please have you call me on my cell phone to gain your approval, but he refused and got more and more argumentative – which I thought was a crappy way end my long day of driving.

After about 15 minutes of back and forth, I told him that I was done with the conversation since it was getting nowhere and I was not being accommodated for this simple request.

I felt like I was talking to the manager of a fast food joint who wouldn’t even go to the trouble of making a phone call.

So, congratulations to Adam Levy for winning an argument with a paying guest and pissing them off so much, that they will never stay at your hotel again. In that one conversation, representing LeMontrose, he demonstrated that the value of my patronage was worth exactly, nothing.

Take this email communication for whatever its worth.

Maybe you have oodles of guests who have added $64,800 in revenue over the past few years.

If Adam Levy continues with his approach to your front desk management, my guess is you’ll likely continue to lose people like me.
--------------

So, there it is. Thus may not be important to anyone else, but how guests are handled when a disappointment arises definitely is.

The Beverly Hilton offers self parking, with much nicer rooms and they treat guests like guests.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank jetaged
stephen b, General Manager at Le Montrose Suite Hotel, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Dear jetaged-

I cannot apologize enough for the experience you had at check in. As expressed on my email to you on December 3rd, it is never our intention to have our guests feel this way. However, as there has been ongoing work within our garage, it is in our guests’ best interest to have all vehicles parked via valet to prevent any issues or potential accidents. After further email correspondence on December the 4th we were unable to connect. All our guests are very important to Le Montrose and me. If you would kindly forward your contact information, other than email, I would be happy to chat.

All the best and Happy Holidays!

Stephen Bohjalian – 310.598.1000 sbohjalian@lemontrose.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed December 2, 2013 via mobile

Cant fault the place. In a fantastic location, staff are overly helpful, rooms are a great size. I would only say that the restaurant food and wine is quite overpriced. If it had been a few dollars cheaper we would have eaten there every morning and had drinks there every night

Otherwise was very good!!

stephen b, General Manager at Le Montrose Suite Hotel, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Dear Em J

I am so happy to hear that your stay was a positive one and that you enjoyed our rooms, location and staff; We take pride in all three of those elements! Regarding our restaurant, we try to keep our prices on par with the market while using only the highest quality ingredients. Thank you for your feedback, we value any and all customer experience reviews. I hope you’ll return the next time you’re in Los Angeles to experience our property again!

Miami
Reviewed December 2, 2013

I've been staying at Le Montrose since 1997 and have been through 3 remodels with them and really enjoy the property. Amazing guest rooms, rooftop pool, friendly staff and very good restaurant. On top of that the rates are reasonable and it is in the heart of Hollywood/West Hollywood neat the Sunset Strip and Santa Monica. I know most of the staff and look forward to each time I visit, about 3 times a year!! Great, great, great....
It's LA without being TOO LA!!!

Room Tip: They have a variety of rooms - I like Jr Suite
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Hi JpughMiami!

Wow, this review is one of the best a hotel could hope to receive! A return guest such as yourself that has stayed with us for 16 years is incredibly special to us and I thank you for sharing your love of Le Montrose with others! I am also glad to hear you have enjoyed our renovations over the years, our central location, restaurant, pool, and staff! I will certainly share your kudos with the team. Next time you’re at Le Montrose, please reach out so I may introduce myself and say thank you in person for your long time support!

Enschede, The Netherlands
Reviewed November 27, 2013

Great service and a nice hotel. Luxury can be better and more but its a good price quality.
The roomservice is great for the price and its really worth it. Also the parking service was great with valet service.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Dear Ruben 850-

Thank you for taking the time to write us such a great review! We’re so glad you were able to enjoy our suite service and attentive valet staff. I will be sure to pass along your positive comments to the team! We look forward to seeing you next time you’re in West Hollywood!

London
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Rooms were clean the hotel was ok. Tucked away on a side side from the main road. Near to the infamous Viper room. Theres nothing that really stands out about the hotel and the rooftop pool was nice, especially the views from here.
Stayed in July 2009.
The hotel staff were polite and helped us with a map to find places to go locally.

Room Tip: basic and ok
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
stephen b, General Manager at Le Montrose Suite Hotel, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Dear Deepsd-

I am so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay! We also love our rooftop pool and our walking distance proximity to the Sunset Strip’s famous music venues. We’re also glad to hear you had a good experience with our staff; I look forward to relaying your comments to them! Next time you’re in LA, we hope to be able to welcome you back!

San Diego, California
Reviewed November 24, 2013

Husband and I stayed here on my birthday while we're in LA,the hotel is ok except that some lights in the room were non functioning or broken.There is the fireplace which added to the decor (its fire isnt that impresssive) .Bathroom is so tiny,we ended up putting our personal toiletries on the office table..Room is comfy though and quiet but small for the price.The price just doesnt equate to what we get.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gracie709
Dear Gracie709-
I am sorry to hear that your stay was not up to your expectations and that you had a lighting issue in your suite. We have an engineering staff on premises 24 hours a day so we hope they were able to be of service to you during your stay. We have a variety of different suites with different price points, so the next time you’re in LA, please reach out to me personally and I’d love the opportunity to help you find a suite with a larger bathroom! We have many with full private vanity areas. Again, I am sorry to hear your stay wasn’t up to your expectations and hope we get another chance to place you in another suite that may fit your needs better in the future!

Los Angeles
Reviewed November 21, 2013

My wife and I stayed here while seeing a concert at the Saban Theatre. The hotel was lovely in a quiet residential setting. The staff was friendly and very helpful. The rooms were spacious and affordable compared to the neighborhood hotels. We did not dine in the restaurant but they were very accommodating when I asked for some beverages for the road. We would definitely stay again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Bingenheimer-

I am so delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you liked our quite, residential setting that allows for the peace and solitude many of our guests seek! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and commend our team, I will certainly share that with them. We hope to welcome you back the next time you’re in West Hollywood!