“OK....but don't get an adjoining room....”

Andaz West Hollywood
Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in West Hollywood
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Stayed here for work and it is, in many ways, a very, very nice hotel. Very hip with the check in set up and a nice feel to the lobby and the hotel.

The room itself was pretty big. No tub, but an ok shower but fantastic shower gel (unusual that you get that in a US hotel.) Internet worked great but a bit of fun and games trying to get a power socket to work my laptop - not ideal for a business type hotel.

The bed was extremely comfortable and nice, large screen TV. There was a separate sitting area overlooking Sunset Boulevard - although my room was more or less directly opposite the large LCD type billboard so that flashed into the room. I ended up having to close the curtain to stop having an epelectic fit (if you suffer from that go for a room at the back - a non view room they call it!)

My big bug here was that I had an adjoining room and I was woken by the coughing of the poor guy in the room next to me. I could just about hear everything he was talking about once I was awake. Seems I was not the only one with that problem as my business partner said the same, unfortunately for him, it was not the sound of coughing coming from the room next door. I'll leave it to your imagination to work out what sort of noises.....needless to say, coughing was preferable!!!

Food was great and the service in the hotel was good.

Fitness centre was excellent too.

I'd go back, but I'd make sure I got a room that was not adjoining unless you needed that...in which case you can tell the people in the room to be quiet!!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Thank Frequent Traveller from Scotland
Lin S, General Manager at Andaz West Hollywood, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Thank you so much for your feedback following your recent stay here at Andaz West Hollywood. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your overall stay; however I am terribly sorry that you were disturbed by neighboring noise during your visit. I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

There are newer reviews for Andaz West Hollywood

Reviewed February 27, 2013

Stayed here at the end of February 2013 and what an amazing experience it was. The staff were very helpful and allocated us a room on a high floor with an amazing view. Also snacks and mini bar (non alcoholic) were included also wine in the early evening was included. The breakfast was very nice and we opted for the buffet option which was everything in the breakfast bar and a selection of eggs (only thing i didn't like was they added the tip to the bill automatically). The rooftop pool had an amazing view of LA and it was too cold to use the pool but we did stay up there for a while just to admire the view. The valet parking is kind of expensive but worth it as you can pull up to the front of the hotel and the valet takes the car (due to cost i did nit tip the valet and he didn't seem to have any problem with that) also street parking is $1 per hour so $24 per day so not to far off if you look at it like that. But all in all i would recommend the hotel to others and would return happily. 1 recommendation I have is to get an upgraded room with a view they are amazing!!!

Room Tip: get a high floor with a view it is worth it
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank allistercole
Lin S, General Manager at Andaz West Hollywood, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2013

I am so pleased that you chose to stay at Andaz West Hollywood. I am delighted to know how much you enjoyed our central location, your accommodation and the service you received from our wonderful team. We look forward to welcoming you both back to the hotel upon your next visit to Los Angeles!

Reviewed February 26, 2013

We recently stayed at the Andaz and it was everything that we had read in the reviews. It is very nice. You can tell it is a remodeled hotel, but they have done a great job in making it a romantic and quaint (larger) and main stream hotel (we stayed on Hyatt points). We had read that it is noisy, so we requested a higher level and I would suggest that. We stayed on the 11th floor and our room was on the back of the hotel. However, I WOULD ASK TO HAVE A ROOM AWAY FROM THE ELEVATOR. We stayed in room 1101 and we could hear the evelvator all night long. Not a show stopper, but could have been much better/quietier!!!! This is a trade off, less view, but very quiet. You have to check out the roof top pool...WAY COOL and AWESOME VIEWS. This is a great location. The staff is very attentive and the hotel has a "great feel". We did not eat there, so cannot comment, but it looked very inviting. Also, we enjoyed the complimentary coffee/tea for breakfast. I would highly recommend this, if you know what you are getting into, which is a converted larger property that has a small hotel feel! FYI, parking is a bit high $32 per night, which was a bit steep...but hey welcome to hollywood! Great location! Again, AWESOME ROOF TOP VIEWS!!! Wish I was still there! BTW, all was very clean!!! (Always important!)

Room Tip: Go up high and stay away from the elevator. Trade off of view and overlooking Sunset strip VS quiet...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rob B

Thank you for selecting Andaz West Hollywood for your most recent trip to Los Angeles. I want to especially thank you for your lovely comments about your stay at our hotel! We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your spacious guest room, our rooftop pool and our central location on the world famous Sunset Strip. We hope to see you back soon and look forward to providing another amazing experience for you.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

I visited the Andaz hotel on January 10th, 2013. I was in town for a work function and decided to stay at the Andaz with the understanding that it was supposed to be one of the best hotels on the strip. Unfortunately for me it wasn't. My non-smoking room smelled like smoke and the room was filthy (hair all over the floor in the bathroom), burned marks on the carpet and a big stain. I paid a lot of money to stay at this hotel. That evening on my way to a dinner meeting I explained to the hotel manager the issues in my room and he offered to put me in a different room right away. I wasn't able to make the change due to my work dinner and also the thought of unpacking and changing my room was unappealing after traveling for 8 hours. I really felt the hotel manager should've given a comp or a credit for breakfast or even invite back for another night on the house, but that didn't happen. Perhaps my expectations of customer service is a bit high, but the room was atrocious. The lack of professionalism was saddening.

Although the room was underwhelming the lobby and location was perfect (the only reason for the two stars).

If mgmt cares to speak to me or reconcile the stay please reach out. Otherwise I won't be staying back. Try the London Hotel or Standard!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Jerry P
Lin S, General Manager at Andaz West Hollywood, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

Thank you for providing us with feedback following your recent stay here at Andaz West Hollywood. We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your comments. I would love to have the opportunity to speak with you about your experience so that I may investigate the issues you have shared more precisely. If you have a moment, please email my assistant at Olivia.Moore@andaz.com, so that I may discuss your experience in further detail. I look forward to the opportunity to speak with you soon.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

This hotel is expensive but then all the other hotels around it are just as expensive and not as nice.

Compared to other hotels in the neighborhood, this hotel is very hip. The room was very clean and spacious. The service of the staff was great.

Most importantly, the location of this hotel is phenomenal. You can get on the Santa Monica Blvd and be on your way by car or you can walk around the Sunset strip and run into celebrities a block or two from this hotel.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank ahghis

I am so pleased that you chose to stay at Andaz West Hollywood and am delighted to know how much you enjoyed our central location, your spacious accommodation and the service you received from our staff. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future!

Reviewed February 23, 2013

We were in LA for the Grammy's and chose this hotel as it is considered one of the better ones in that area and we wanted it to enhance our experience. It did not. We were on the "penthouse" floor, but our room was nothing more than a standard queen room, which was very over priced. While the room was clean with a great view, it was not very guest friendly. The bathroom was small with no counter space or hooks to hang a robe or towels. There were only two drawers in the room, forcing us to live out of our suitcases. There was little or no lighting. We could not see to get ready and had to have them bring up additional lights. There was no full length mirror in the room and the one over the desk and in the bathroom were both smoky, black tinted mirrors. The room itself had no ambience and not even a picture on the wall. While the hotel itself, location and service were good, it just simply was worth the money for what we got and was the low light of an otherwise amazing weekend. There are other hotels in the area, comparably priced with nicer rooms.

Room Tip: It appears all rooms are the same as when we asked if we could move to a different room, they told u...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Lin S, General Manager at Andaz West Hollywood, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2013

Thank you for staying at Andaz West Hollywood and for taking the time to review your recent visit. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed our central location and the service provided to you by our wonderful team; however I am terribly sorry to hear that you did not thoroughly enjoy your accommodation. Should you wish to return to the Strip, please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I may be of any assistance.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

This is the hotel from which Jim Morrison is reputed to have hung from a window during one of his stays in LA. and was the hotel of choice of my two daughters (18 and 22) when we stopped off in LA in June this year as part of as part of a mini tour to celebrate my youngest daughter's 18th birthday. [One tiny black mark - despite my having sent an email in advance of our arrival advising of this it was totally ignored but they were not alone in this] The adjective most people use to describe it is "hip". Having read TA in advance we were aware that the hotel did not have a reception desk as such but rather "hosts" with Ipads and that there could be a long wait we were pleasantly surprised in that check in was fast and painless. Just a pity we missed out on the free pastries and coffee at breakfast time!

There is no doubt that the hotel is very "Vogue"- atmospheric, all black doors and dark corridors, which can be rather oppressive and intimidating. The rooms are minimalistic and chic. Beds comfy and shower room of the high standard you would expect. The toiletries in the extensive shower room were lovely and of a high standard. I rather liked the engraving on the window and the painted tree on the wall. The "freebies", juices and snacks from the in-room fridge were most welcome and smany months on my husband is still raving about the orange juice as being "the best ever". Our room was to the rear of the hotel and whilst not the best panorama looking into a car park below you could see other homes on the hill beyond. See if you can spot the large duck or goose that sits beside someone's pool!

Next stop was the roof top bar and swimming pool. As it was mid Friday afternoon this area was packed but we managed to find ourselves a cabana where there was room for the four of us to pile in, stretch out and relax. It seems a shame that the bar is not still open when night falls although you can still visit, as we did, the pool area. Perhaps a bar and a swimming pool are not considered a good combination at night?

My husband always says that a hotel is merely a place to lay your head and that was definitely the case in this instance. As we were only in LA two nights and spent most of our time out and about we probably did not benefit from all that the hotel had to offer. Certainly we could not fault the service offered although I think they did consider us rather eccentric. Although there is an in-room safe it states that if you have anything valuable it should be put in a safety deposit box in reception. As a result of my being the victim of a pickpocket in SF I had become uber careful and so insisted that we put our passports etc in a safety box. The concierge we dealt with while acquiescing to our request said that no one had ever requested this before! Service was faultless and if one concierge did not know the answer they found another who did i.e what was the best time to leave for Anaheim my taxi?

As has been detailed before the hotel is well located for all the main attractions and there is a good selection of places to eat nearby. [We ate at the Saddle Ranch Chop House - good food, good value, varied menu -so sad that we were too full and could not manage the smores!] As non drivers and only staying in LA for two nights we ended up relying on taxis to get us about. The look on the doorman's face when our bright red, yellow and green tour bus (a rather incongruous vision I guess) dropped us off right in front on him at the end of a tour was a picture!

All in all I guess I would agree with my daughters' view that the Andaz may be a bit pretentious and "tries too hard" but hey this is the city of the beautiful people. Whilst I would not necessarily choose to stay there again I can see why for many it would fit the bill.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank jennirAberdeen

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent stay here at Andaz West Hollywood. All of your comments are truly appreciated and we hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you and your family back upon your next trip to Los Angeles.