“Trendy, Modern, Great stay with some nice touches”

Andaz West Hollywood
Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in West Hollywood
South Wales, UK
“Trendy, Modern, Great stay with some nice touches”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Firstly let me point out that this is a 4 star hotel based in West Hollywood and having been in the Mondrian (across the road) and seen The Standard Hotel (1 minute away) I would say the Andaz is the better option by far. We stayed here for 3 nights.

I do not know why other reviewers were complaining about having a chaotic check in area because there is a desk placed at the front door where staff check you in either on a iPad or a desktop computer. Also reviewers have complained about wi-fi. I had free wi-fi throughout my stay for my iPhone and Mac so I do not see any issues there - you just log in to the free bit. I am not sure if this has changed recently but do not let other people's reviews put you off.

The rooms are large and very minimalistic. You either like that sort of thing or you do not, it could have had a nice chair or something filling some of the space. Nice TV though and we had a nice view of downtown LA as our room was positioned on Sunset Boulevard. *** I must warn you though, ask for a high floor, we were on the 10th floor and we could still hear traffic late at night. It didnt bother us but it may bother a lighter sleeper. ***

The Andaz also gives provides free soft drinks and crisps/nuts in your room each day. I do not know many other hotels who do this. Nice touch.

The Andaz also provides between 5pm-7pm complimentary red or white wine to guest which is again a nice touch. The bar also has happy hour 6pm-9pm for drinks - beer $3.50 Wine $6.00

Staff were great and always helpful. Nice buzz around the place too.

How could I forget .......Rooftop Pool ! Fantastic views and the Hollywood hills overlook it. Didnt go for a swim as a little cold but I bet this place is great in the Summer months.

Room Tip: Sunset Boulevard rooms have fantastic views of LA Ask for high floor rooms as Sunset Blvd can get n...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank EGANSMIND
philipdailey, General Manager at Andaz West Hollywood, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Thank you for selecting Andaz West Hollywood for your most recent trip to Los Angeles. We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed the service that was provided to you by our team, as well as our sundeck, accommodations and unique amenities. We can’t wait to welcome you back soon and look forward to providing another amazing experience for you.
Philip

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (623)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Spent four nights here in a 'view king' in January 2013 - my first at an Andaz, although I've stayed in several other Hyatt brands. I suppose this is Hyatt's version of Starwood's W, although I preferred the Andaz to any W that I have used. The staff (and most of the clientele) is young, friendly and casual - although definitely 4 star not 5 star. Nice gym, great roof deck and pool. Near the Mondrian and the Standard.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank SomeKindOfWonderful
philipdailey, General Manager at Andaz West Hollywood, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
I am delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your first stay with us here at Andaz West Hollywood! We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your kind comments and look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future!
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed January 6, 2013

From an akward check-in with syrupy phony over the top customer service to the bland dull small rooms with scratched and chipped wooden furniture, small bathrooms and small sterile gym,
disappointing was the best word I could come up with.
There are much better choices close by and I would recommend the traveler seeks them out before selecting this generic trendy hotel that has no substance.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent stay here at Andaz West Hollywood. Please accept my apologies for your disappointing experience. At Andaz, we strive to exceed our guests’ expectations and I am very sorry that in so many details we have not met yours. Please know that the matters you raised have been addressed and we are taking the necessary steps to ensure that they do not reoccur in the future. I hope to be able to welcome you back to make up for this less than perfect experience.
Georgetown, Texas
Reviewed January 5, 2013

This hotel apparently has an interesting history having spent several years in previous decades known as the "Riot Hyatt" due to the number of rock stars who used - and abused - the place. Our recent stay was much quieter and more elegant. Loved the overall decor, the helpful staff, our spacious room and bath. The rooftop deck with heated pool and wonderful lounges was a real treat even on cool days. The location is great and I would definitely recommend the Andaz..

Room Tip: Rooms on the back side may be quieter as those on the front are very near Sunset Blvd.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank texastraveler516
philipdailey, General Manager at Andaz West Hollywood, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent stay here at Andaz West Hollywood! We are so pleased to hear that you loved the Andaz experience!! We truly look forward to welcoming you back upon your next visit to Los Angeles!
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed January 4, 2013

We stayed at the Andaz West Hollywood in December and had a great stay. The staff were very friendly and helpful and our room was lovely. It was big, spacious and modern and the bed was very comfortable. The snacks and soft drinks in the mini bar were free too and so was the wifi which was a really nice surprise. Definitely recommend this hotel!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Smill722
I am so delighted to hear that you loved your recent stay at Andaz West Hollywood and that you enjoyed your accommodation as well as the service provided to you by our team! Thank you so much for your feedback. I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back upon your next trip to Los Angeles.
Austin, Texas
Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

I cashed in several years worth of Hyatt points for a couple of nights...and Andaz did not disappoint. Outstanding service! We had only one full day and they made sure we got booked on an excellent tour and had a memorable dinner in Sunset Plaza based on their recommendation. Rooms were huge with very comfy beds. After two weeks on a cruise ship, the shower was a dream. Great vibe. Nice coffee in the morning and wine in the evening. Would definitely recommend, even at full price. Location and service are worth it!

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank ekarl3113
I am so pleased that you chose to stay at Andaz West Hollywood and am delighted to know how much you enjoyed so many aspects of your visit. Thank you for all of your wonderful comments. We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back upon your next visit to California!
San Francisco, California
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I spent my Xmas weekend this year at Andaz 5th Avenue and New Year weekend at Andaz West Hollywood. The Andaz 5th Avenue is so much better in terms of quality that I felt so letdown while staying at Andaz West Hollywood. You can see my review over at the Andaz 5th Avenue webpage.

First of all, you do have to give credit to the design of the lobby, it is indeed very elegant. However, once you exit from the elevator and walk towards your room, the corridor gives you a feel that you are in 2 or 3 stars hotel as the furnishing looks very beat down. I have a king size bedroom and the size of it is more than enough for a couple. However, the touches of the room is at the low end which makes you feel like you are in Courtyard or Bestwestern hotels but just with updated TV.

The bathroom is a big negative. It is small, I would say it is half the size as the one in Andaz 5th Avenue. And you cannot find anywhere that you can hang your clothes while you go to take a shower.

Speaking of the staff, a lot of credits have to be given to the parking valet and breakfast crew. They really did their best to make sure everything went smooth and comfortable for the guests. On the other hand, the hosts certainly have room for improvement as my newspaper request and check-out bill were both not handled properly. Not a big deal but sometimes travelers judge a hotel by the tiniest thing.

Overall speaking, if you have never tried Andaz before, you may not want to start with this. This may not be the one that can give you a positive impression.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent stay here at Andaz West Hollywood. I am delighted to hear that you were well taken care of by our valet and RH restaurant teams, however I am terribly sorry to hear that you did not thoroughly enjoy your stay. At Andaz we are committed to serving every guest beyond expectations and to know that you did not find your experience here to be consistent with your previous Andaz experiences is a big disappointment. Hopefully one day we can welcome you back to create a more memorable experience.