“Beautiful hotel but...” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in West Hollywood
New York City, New York
“Beautiful hotel but...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

The location of this hotel is amazing. I have read a lot of reviews and when I first entered the lobby, I just thought it was beyond beautiful. Latest technology, there is no front desk but you get checked in by a staff member. The service was really great. But, once I entered the room, I was a bit disappointed. My first, initial thought was ..wow, it looks like a hospital room. It is VERY VERY modern, very understated, just white walls, tv, a table. The only art we had in the room was Jimmy Hendrix album or 2. The bed was amazing. The shower was a bit small, there was half of the door sort of missing, and the water was going all over the floor. The sink was very small, almost felt like the room was literally designed for one person. The pool area was gorgeous, although it was closed due to cold weather. They had lemonade by the pool, which was a nice touch. In the room, all non alcoholic beverages and snacks were free of charge. Every morning, in the lobby there was free coffee and cookies.
Overall, beautiful hotel, I'm just not sure if I would ever pay that money to stay there because I prefer more 'home' vibe room design than just plane white walls.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
2 Thank Veronika8206
philipdailey, General Manager at Andaz West Hollywood, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Thank you so much for your feedback following your recent stay here at Andaz West Hollywood. I’m delighted to hear that you were well taken care of by our team and that you were able to enjoy most of the hotel’s amenities. All of your comments are truly valued and we hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.
Philip

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (576)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Perhaps I had high expectations, but I was a bit underwhelmed with my stay. Check-in was weird. As I pulled up, a staff member came up to me with an iPad and asked if I wanted to check in standing or sitting. Um, standing? He asked if I wanted wine or water. I then asked him to confirm the benefits I was receiving on my reservation. He told me he couldn’t tell on the iPad, and had to go to a real computer to figure that out. Seems like they shouldn’t be using iPads if they can’t support this function. Anyway, he confirmed I had breakfast and a $25 food and dining credit. I figured everything else was on there and if it wasn’t, I could fight at checkout, and made my way to the room.

The room itself was fine, but nothing particularly luxurious. Although the room was large, it had a lot of empty space, both on the floor and on the walls. Instead of art work, there were some cutesy phrases stenciled on the walls and windows. Although I was on a high floor, the view was really of the parking lot, with a not-particularly-exciting view of the Hollywood Hills. There was a nice amenity awaiting me of fruit, cheese, crackers, and a bottle of red wine, though I’m not sure if it was because of my Visa “VIP” status or my Hyatt Platinum status or both. The minibar was stocked with a juice, various sodas, bottled water, and two iced teas, and there was trail mix and pop chips on the dresser.

I had a terrible experience trying to have breakfast, which was included in my stay, as I was forced to sit at the bar (literally, they were going to sit me at a table and then decided i couldn't since I was only one person) with dirty dishes stacked in front of me, with a view of the back kitchen, with waiters carrying hot beverages squeezing past me every three minutes.
As for the rest of the stay, it was acceptable with some minor blips. The gym was great, looking right out onto Sunset Boulevard. At check-in, I was asked if a 2pm checkout was okay, and I said yes. But of course, right before I hopped into the shower at 1:30, there was a knock on the door asking me when I intended to check out. Checkout itself was fine, although there were no charges beyond my room rate, so I’ll never know what actually happened with the breakfast- just that my $25 credit plus the free breakfast covered it at all. Then the last weird thing was when i asked if i could store my luggage in my car while I was at breakfast. I was told to walk around back, past stacked pallets and dumpsters, ask the valet shed for my key, find my car in the valet lot, and do whatever I wanted. Um, ok.

The Andaz bills itself as a luxury hotel. In reality, it wasn’t.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
philipdailey, General Manager at Andaz West Hollywood, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback following your stay here at Andaz West Hollywood. I sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you encountered. At Andaz, we are committed to serving every guest beyond expectations and to know that we did not accomplish this with you is very disappointing. Please be assured that I will personally investigate the issues you addressed. Hopefully one day we can welcome you back to create an experience more consistent with the Andaz true hospitality.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012 via mobile

Everything about this hotel is perfect except parking price, but that's LA. You get free non alcoholic drinks and snacks in your room. The hotel is legendary if you're interested in rock n roll history. It's next door to the legendary comedy store and there are a lot of restaurants that are within walking distance.

• Stayed November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars
philipdailey, General Manager at Andaz West Hollywood, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience of your recent stay at Andaz West Hollywood. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to seeing you again, hopefully in the not too distant future.
Rio de Janeiro
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Despite having been to LA quite a few times over the years, I had never actually stayed on West Sunset Boulevard. But now for me only Santa Monica will be a challenger from now on. This particular location is rich in rock'n'roll history (google Riot House), and the Chateau Marmont is only steps away. The Hotel itself is very very nice, the rooftop pool has terrific views of the city and the hills and the rooms are very good and spacious. The corridors even smell nice, they certainly have a fragrance they spray around to hide the stench of marij...oops, medicinal herbs emanating from some rooms. The gym is not the best around but working out is not very rock'n'roll, or these days it is? The only reason why I don't give it five stars is that I had a very hard time reaching the management. It is very difficult to find an email address in their website. When I eventually found one, I wrote to them three times asking in advance if I could have purchases shipped to the hotel as I was on a business trip and needed to save time but I never got a reply, positive or negative. In the end, all I had sent by express delivery was a hard to find camera battery, but in my travel book it is unacceptable not to receive a reply from management. As I told them in one of the messages, I would happily accept a no for an answer, as many hotels do not have space to store guests' stuff. But this is certainly not the case in this hotel, and not getting one single reply after three attempts is ridiculous. But even though I would stay here again anytime.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the street have great views if they are high enough.
    • 4 of 5 stars
Thank you for selecting Andaz West Hollywood for your most recent trip to Los Angeles. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed the hotel and its amenities however I sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you encountered. Please be assured that I will investigate your comments personally, as they are greatly appreciated. On behalf of all of us here, we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back upon your next visit to Los Angeles.
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

We booked our holiday as part of a package including a visit to San Francisco and Las Vegas, we were only able to pick from a few hotels through the travel agent and after some debating and trip advisor research we picked this hotel.

We had mixed reviews about LA and where to stay so we decided to stay in the hills as we thought it would be the area we would like the most.

We were very impressed with this hotel, when we arrive its was 5pm and the hotel has free wine evening between 5-7 each night. The hotel is very modern and there is no actual reception the staff wonder round with Ipads and check you in and provide the keys through them.

The hotel rooms are a fantastic size, we did have the king room with views of the hills, although we were a little lower than we would have licked. The bathroom is huge, although a little odd as the sink is on the outside and then the main bathroom is a wet room.

In the room you also have a free minibar (except for the mini bottles of alcohol) and snacks. They also provide free coffee first thing in the morning downstairs.

We found getting around LA a little tricky, we chose not to hire a car as I didn't want to attempt their odd system, however we didn't see alot of public transport. We ended up having to get taxi's everywhere which cost quite alot so next time I think I will attempt to drive.

I think we definitely picked the best area to stay in and there are alot of lovely places to eat. The trip around the celebrity houses are a must see together with the stars and chinese theatre, although this wasn’t quite what I thought it would be.

Another recommendation, if you are going to universal (which I would highly recommend) pay the extra and get the queue jumps as you will save alot of time, ours were worth every penny! Some rides had a 45 minute to an hour wait!

Some people i know that have visited LA didn’t like it but I really did. I think it helped staying in a nice area and not visiting as part of a long travelling experience.

When I go back to LA I would most definitely stay at this hotel again, it was beautiful, spotless, fantastic location and really friendly staff. I can’t recommend it enough!

Room Tip: King Room, higher the floor the better the view
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank leazo
philipdailey, General Manager at Andaz West Hollywood, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Thank you so much for staying at Andaz West Hollywood and for taking the time to post such a wonderful review of our hotel. I am so pleased that you felt that your experience at the hotel, including the service provided to you by our wonderful team and our prime location, accommodated your needs. We look forward to welcoming you back upon your next visit to Los Angeles!
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Overall this a fantastic hotel. Very modern, stylish and great location in West Hollywood.

The service was absolutely fantastic and the 'no check in desk' quirk was a nice touch. While I didn't use the service of 'the hosts' in reception they did appear to be of the mantra that 'no request is too much' and were super friendly on check in and check out.

Rooms are huge (I was staying on my own and had a room with two queen size beds) with big TV and ipod docking station. Room service menus are all interactive on the TV which added to the overall contemporary feel of the hotel. Guests are also treated to a complimentary glass of wine between 5 and 7pm each night. There's also free basic wi-fi and soft drinks in the room.

There are a couple of negatives worth mentioning: The valet is expensive, as is the breakfast menu ($50 for orange juice, fruit and toast), I was also given a room (1101) next to the elevator which mean my room was super noisy. Looking back I should've asked to move rooms as it kept me awake ALL NIGHT.

Overall this hotel is gorgeous and well worth staying in if you want to be in West Hollywood... just ask for a room away from the lifts!

The rooftop pool is heavenly. Limited menu for the rooftop pool but the views of the hills and LA skyline very much make up for it.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the elevator for a quiet night sleep.
1 Thank hall284002
philipdailey, General Manager at Andaz West Hollywood, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post such a complimentary review following your recent stay here at Andaz West Hollywood! I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed so many of the unique qualities that we feel make our hotel so special. I am, however, terribly sorry that you were inconvenienced by the location of your room accommodations. Please be assured that we have made special note to provide you with a more comfortable room on your next visit. We truly appreciate you sharing your comments and look forward to the opportunity of providing another great experience for you in the future!
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Staying at the Andaz made this business trip feel a bit less like business, which is always a plus. The contemporary decor was really cool - I really liked the furniture and the all-glass wall looking out onto the street. The staff was very courteous and helpful on my arrival. The Saddle Ranch right next door made for a convenient place to grab a beer and some good food. Nice to have wireless access included. Seems nearly all the nicer hotels charge for it, but not the Andaz. The only thing I was disappointed by was that breakfast didn't start until 6:30am and I needed to leave then. Overall, this was a great hotel!

Room Tip: I was across hall from elevators, which weren't very loud, but it sort of sounded like somebody...
    • 5 of 5 stars
philipdailey, General Manager at Andaz West Hollywood, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent stay here at Andaz West Hollywood! We truly appreciate you sharing your comments and look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future!
Also consider these accommodations in or near West Hollywood
Petit Ermitage
Petit Ermitage
#2 of 17 in West Hollywood
4.0 of 5 stars 859 reviews

Been to Andaz West Hollywood? Share your experiences!