“Nice modern hotel”

Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in West Hollywood
New York, NY
“Nice modern hotel”
Reviewed April 29, 2012

Nice modern hotel. Staff were very friendly and helpful, greeting me by name most of the time. My “host” encouraged us to use as much as we could from the (non-alcoholic) mini-bar, as it gets refilled every day at no charge. Check-in process is cool, a “host” comes over to you with an ipad and checks you in that way. You must use the valet-parking at a cost of $32/day. Overall a great experience.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
philipdailey, General Manager at Andaz West Hollywood, responded to this review, May 1, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent stay here at Andaz West Hollywood! On behalf of all of us here at the hotel, I look forward to welcoming you back upon your next visit to the West Coast!
Philip

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (636)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed April 24, 2012

Our son lives in West Hollywood so we wanted to stay somewhere near him while we visited. Overall, the Andaz is a great hotel. The staff is very friendly and helpful and check-in was simple. There aren't a lot of parking options other than valet so while we had a great room rate once you factor in the valet parking & tips (especially on the weekends) the price becomes significantly higher. At least the parking attendants were friendly and not pushy/arrogant and you could call down to have your car ready for you when you wanted to go somewhere.

We had a King room on the top floor which at first seemed great because the pool and sundeck is just a quick set of stairs away. The pool isn't too large but what was really discouraging was that there weren't nearly enough chairs for a hotel that size. There are a few large covered cabanas that were really cool but you probably had to get up at the crack of dawn to nail one down on a sunny day. Design-wise, IMO it would have been so much smarter to take out a few of the planter boxes and all the cabanas and just allow for more lounge chairs/umbrellas. We didn't ever get to sit by the pool and we stayed there two days. Also, FYI the vibe around the pool is not really for kids/families but more for adults/couples. In fact, I would say that applies to the whole hotel.

The room itself was very clean, spacious, and comfortable. We had an interesting view of the Hollywood Hills. Privacy wasn't an issue for us. The bathroom wasn't overly large, but it was clean and well designed. The complimentary water, pop, and snacks is a really nice touch and we even had someone from the staff knock on our door to offer us extra water and snacks.

Our biggest complaint was that rooms do not have individual temperature controls. We came back after a night out and it was a brisk (read: cold) 67 degrees in our room! When we couldn't figure out how to adjust the thermostat we called down to the front desk only to find out the hotel has central heating and air conditioning. They had to send up a space heater! To be fair, they were prompt and friendly about helping us, but this is 2012 and guests should be able to control the temperature in their own room. It didn't ruin our stay, but it made a negative impression.

Overall this is a very nice hotel, a good location, and a solid value for an expensive area. We would probably stay here again.

Room Tip: Higher floors mean less street noise.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
philipdailey, General Manager at Andaz West Hollywood, responded to this review, April 26, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay here at Andaz West Hollywood! I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit and will be sure to pass along your kind words to the team. We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back soon!
Missouri
Reviewed April 23, 2012

When you enter the hotel to register you don't know where to go because there is no check in desk. But just as soon as this registers in your mind, you are greeted by a clerk who checks you in with his tablet. The rooms were fantastic, I could have lived in the sun room and existed on the free snacks in the room as well as the juice, coffee and pastries in the lobby. Did I mention that our rooms overlooked Sunset Blvd but it was still so quiet that the traffic noise didn't bother us at all. The staff was so friendly, you were treated like an old friend.

After much thought and deliberation I cannot think of one bad thing about this hotel.

Room Tip: We only stayed there the one time and all I can say is that we were on the 6th floor overlooking Sun...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking to time to post such a rave review following your recent stay here here at Andaz West Hollywood! I am so delighted to hear that we were able to provide you top notch service that will leave a lasting impression! We truly look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back soon!
Sutton, Ireland
Reviewed April 22, 2012

Myself and my husband spent the first week of our honeymoon in the Andaz Wset Hollywood in February of this year and we were treated like visiting royalty! All the staff were so kind and helpful and i cant praise them enough! Nothing was too much trouble. I love love love this hotel, coming down first thing in the morning for my complimentry coffee and pastry and after a day of shopping and sight seeing arriving back to the hotel for my comlimentry glasses of wine! This is the ONLY hotel to stay in when visiting Hollywood, perfect location! My and my huband love this hotel so much we are going back for our 1st wedding anniversary!!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sarah O
Thank you for selecting Andaz West Hollywood for the special occasion of your honeymoon! We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your accommodation as well as our unique amenities. On behalf of all of us here, we look forward to welcoming you both back to provide yet another wonderful experience and wish you a lifetime of newlywed bliss!
OC CA
Reviewed April 22, 2012

Overall, I'd highly recommend this hotel.
This hotel does a few things differently, and I hope other hotels will follow.

Check-in:
This hotel does not have a front desk. Instead, you are greeted by a clerk armed with a tablet. You find a sit at the hotel's lobby, and cover check-in over a glass of wine, if you like.
This is a much better experience than the usual stand-by-the-desk.

Mini Bar:
Sodas and snacks are free. Alcohol is not (duh!).
It's not a lot of money, but I liked not feeling like I'm getting gauged when getting some trail mix late at night.

Complementary wine and coffee/pastries:

They serve free wine 5-7PM (or so), which is nice. The wine was better than what I expected for free :)

There are free coffee and pastries 6-10am.
However, I got there at 9:50 and there was absolutely nothing left. Not even coffee.
It is not unusual that hotel breakfasts run out early, but I find it annoying.

The standard stuff:

Room:
Our room was nice and comfortable.
The bathroom was really small, and had no tub. Not small enough to be a problem, but one of the reasons I didn't give the hotel 5 points.

Location:
The hotel's location is convenient but noisy.
We were on the 14th floor and still were bothered by sirens at night.
Our room overlooked the hills, which provide great view, but may constitute a privacy issue to some (there is a privacy screen, but that interferes with the scenery).

1 Thank SoCalJJ
Thank you for providing us with feedback following your recent stay here at Andaz West Hollywood. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our unique check in experience. We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back upon your next visit to LA.
Reviewed April 22, 2012 via mobile

I enjoyed my time at the Andaz. Although it ismon a good location on Sunset, it is pretty quiet and relaxing. I wasn't paying for my room, but had to pay for any extras... So the fact there was free coffee and pastries in the morning, free wine at cocktail hour and everything in the minibar was complimentary (excpet the booze) was a great thing. Also the wifi was free, which is fantastic. I get really annoyed when expensive hotels charge thirty dollars a day for wifi. So hats off to the Andaz for making it free.

The hotel doesn't have a traditional reception, but has a bunch of "hosts" wandering around the lobby with ipads. Which, while nice and casual, is a bit confusing when arriving after a 16 hour journey. Sometimes the precictability of a hotel lobby is nice when you are exhausted and jetlagged. But the staff were extremely friendly and helpful. The rooms were big and comfortable. And the bathrooms were big and finished to a high standard (a rarity in american hotels).

There was a little bit of maintenance work going on while I was there, but I was given a lot of prior notice about it (signs in the hotel and a note under my door). And the hotel diverted all guests away from the work, so it was barely noticeable.

All in all, the Andaz is mabe trying a little too hard to be cool, but I enjoyed my stay and was made to feel very welcome. I will probably stay here again.

Stayed March 2012
I am so pleased that you chose to stay at Andaz West Hollywood. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. On behalf of all of us here at the hotel, we look forward to seeing you again, hopefully in the not too distant future.
Australia
Reviewed April 18, 2012

i checked in your hotel during our visit to LA the staff went out of there way to help and give advice when needed also the hotel was very comfortable and clean recommended

Room Tip: public transport very convenient
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family