“Great find in hollywood”

Best Western Plus Sunset Plaza Hotel
Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in West Hollywood
Reviewed August 19, 2006

What a find! We really enjoyed this hotel. As a family travelling to many destinations on one trip this was one of our favourites and reasonably priced. We were delighted with our pool room. It was spacious for four of us with two double beds and had a microwave and fridge and coffee maker.
The free continental breakfast was a bonus as it meant we didn't have to pay for breakfast for a few days.
Staff were very helpful and the laundrette was brilliant as we were able to wash clothes half way through our trip at a very reasonable cost.
The children loved the pool which was in a delightful setting. I would recommend this hotel to friends and family.
Well situated if you are mostly interested in hollywood and universal studios.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
4  Thank travelhoppy
Write a ReviewReviews (2,115)

Reviewed August 17, 2006

This was the best hotel we stayed at during our 13 day trip to Southern California, all of which carefully selected based on Trip Advisor reviews. While it was not 5 *s with the corresponding price, it felt quite luxurious for the price. We stayed for 3 nights.

Front desk was reasonably attentive. All requests were handled professionally, but they didn't go out of the way.

Buffet breakfast was well laid out. We ate at various times of the morning and there was always plenty of selection. The hostess kept things coming as required.

The room was quiet, clean and comfortable. These are my most important qualities of a hotel. The 5 of us (2 adults, 3 girls between 6 and 12) were split b/w the 2 queen beds and the sofabed. The pullout wasn't really intended for an adult, but I got stuck with it for some nights. I almost sank to the floor. 5 people in a room can make quite a mess, the room was always immaculate on our return.

Location is excellent to Hollywood sights, shopping and restaurants (a couple of restaurants incredibly expensive and poor value).

Plenty of parking space, but spaces were tight (we found this to be the norm at all of our hotels.

Definitely recommend this place. It got our trip started on the right foot. Wish they were all like this one.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
4  Thank OttTraveller
Reviewed August 7, 2006

My family enjoyed our stay at the lovely Best Western Sunset Plaza. We had a great stay. Our room was well equiped with a samll kitchnette, and best of all it opened up to the beautiful pool area,which was great for our teenage children. The staff was very nice, and our minor room problems were dealt with quickly and very professionally. The buffet (extended continental) breakfast went over well with my teenage boys... a lovely perk to a vacationing family who was on the move. This location is close to Universal Studios, Warner, and the Hollywood walk of stars. We would stay again, and recommend it to families.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
5  Thank Alec905
Reviewed August 5, 2006

Although there were problems, I think, overall it's a pretty good hotel. I had a room that had new carpets that exuded an overpowering smell, then my bath wouldn't drain...The hotel moved me to the room next door, where there were partiers, serious partiers! The hotel upgraded me to a "deluxe" corner room, which was huge. I also had more partiers here, and had to call the hotel to ask them to be quiet, which they did. So...other than all these things...the beds are comfortable. I should know, I slept in 3 of them!! The maid service is great. The fact that you have a fridge and coffee maker is a good bonus for an extended stay. And, of course, the pool area is awesome.
It's clearly a hotel for tourists and partiers, neither of which am I. I was there for business, and to see old friends, so I would have preferred a quieter stay, but oh, well!
It certainly wouldn't have been quieter at the Standard. So, there you go.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled on business
2  Thank stillnesspeaks
Reviewed July 21, 2006

We stayed at the Sunset Plaza from June 29 to July 3. Having looked at a selection of hotels on the internet and checking their reviews on this site, I definitely made the right choice here.

We found the hotel's location excellent. Plenty of restaurants and bars around, really enjoyed House of Blues next door! Our rooms were on the 2nd floor overlooking the courtyard pool. The flowers are beautiful around the pool. The rooms were great, we had a double king room. The bathroom was a great size and having the kitchenette with fridge was a bonus. Our air conditioning wasn't working when we arrived but the staff attended to it very quickly. I found them very friendly and accommodating. The breakfast was good too, a great selecton of pastries and cereals - a good way to start off the day. All in all, the service was excellent and I will definitely stay here again. Good rates too!! We didn't drive but there's a taxi rank right outside the hotel which we used to go to Universal and there was a taxi rank at Universal to get us back to the hotel. Also, we took one of the hotel's city tours which is run by a company called El Dorado tours, they were excellent. If you take this tour, make sure you take the 2 hour tour which takes in Olvera Street and the Farmer's Market in West Hollywood - this was an added bonus we didn't expect. Plenty of designer shops here and good food. Its a really nice place if you like to shop.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled with family
7  Thank Sapphire7
Reviewed July 19, 2006

I stayed at this hotel and most everything was great with just one exception. The staff. With one exception, the staff were not very pleasant. In particular there was one young man at the front desk who seemed aloof and arrogant. Not what I expected from a front desk clerk.
When I arrived, we checked into the room ( lovely room overlooking pool on top floor), it was Beautiful! The property itself is lovely, flowers and a beautiful pool. A hidden gem along sunset. The room was supposedly ready, but when we went in the bathroom there was no soap or towels.

Within about 15 mins a staff member came in ( without knocking) with an armful of towels. She handed them to my friend and left. We realised later on that we had NO soap. We decided to wait until the next day as we had some leftover soap from our other hotel . The next day again there was NO Soap when the room was made up. I made a request which was never fullfilled. That evening I asked again and was told by the man at the front desk abruptly... you will have to wait till the morning.
Again upon leaving for the day I asked again and was promised that there would be some. Upon our return from a long day again there was NO soap. I went down to the front desk and the girl I made the request from earlier was there and only after she involved her manager did they get the soap for us. I should note that the gentleman that assisted us then was very pleasant and considerate. An older gentleman, very nice. After spending a week in Anaheim at a hotel where the staff exuded friendliness and customer service excellence, this paled by comparison.

I would still stay here, it is excellent value for money and exudes all the charm you see in the pictures. Its location is great, and it doesnt seem to have the pretention you will find at the Grafton or the Standard. I would still give this hotel another chance, its value and esthetics make a hidden gem on Sunset.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled with friends
4  Thank Adamyyc
Reviewed July 13, 2006

The Best Western Sunset Plaza Hotel was a very nice place to stay for myself and my family. I researched hotels from Santa Monica to Studio City, and we wanted a nice hotel with a breakfast. Based on reviews on this site, we chose the Sunset Plaza. Parking is $10 a day, but this is reasonable compared to the $22-$25 you will pay at the Grafton and Hyatt (plus tips if if is valet only, like the Grafton). We brought our Honda Accord which still required some maneuvering in the rather tight spaces in the garage. Large SUV's would have had a VERY difficult time squeezing into the parking spaces if they could clear the low headroom of the garage at all. We found the front desk staff to be very helpful and pleasant. We asked for extra towels, and they were promptly delivered. Our card keys were accidentally de-magnetized, and the front desk staff gave us new keys right away. The pool is nice and beautiful just like the pictures. We requested and received a top floor, pool view room, and we were very pleased. We could open the windows and enjoy the night air while enjoying the view of the pool. During our stay, the other hotel patrons were mindful of the pool hours, and our room was very quiet. The continental breakfast consisted of carbs such as croissants, bagels, muffins and cereal, but this was great as we were able to start out the day without having to search for a place to eat breakfast as there is no restaurant in the hotel. The hotel is on a hillside, so the lobby floor is the 3rd floor with rooms on the 2nd and 1st (pool is on 1st as well). The garage is on the bottom. This hotel is a Best Western, so it is not glitzy like the Grafton (nor as noisy from what I have read on the Tripadvisor website), but it is a quiet, clean hotel. We had a kitchenette, and we loved the BIG bathroom and the extra space that the kitchenette provided. This is a good hotel based on the large size of the room (kitchenette) and its location.

• Stayed: July 2006
Hollywood
The Hollywood Roosevelt
The Hollywood Roosevelt
#16 of 355 in Los Angeles

Been to Best Western Plus Sunset Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!