“SENSATIONAL”

Best Western Plus Sunset Plaza Hotel
Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in West Hollywood
Reviewed May 22, 2005

what a super place to stay! not expensive but has absolutely everything you want bus stop out the front restaurants and tourist spots close by we saw some stars including rachel hunter down the road is the house of blues and across the road is a ranch restaurant with yummy food and entertainment so the location is perfect the hotel has breakfast and its healthy, a laundry , microwaves in the rooms, non stop coffee in a lobby, paper to your room, a swimming pool, we got tans while there! the staff are friendly and the guests are interesting , want -to- be actors and models and normal people like us. my husband is fussy and stays in 5 star hotels and he had no complaints. if you have a family or are just a couple this place is great we have been in l.a before but this is where we will stay again we are not on a budget these days but this place is great for everybody brissy couple, qld

19  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (2,135)

Ontario, Canada
Reviewed May 17, 2005

We stayed here April 23-30th and really liked the hotel. Our room was clean and the staff were very friendly. Upon arrival, the room given to us just had the carpets shampooed so we asked for a new room- the desk person appologized and gave us a huge room on a corner with windows in both sides- very nice! The front desk also helped us rent a car and the car rental place is also just across the street. Continential breakfast was better than most continentals elsewhere; bagels and cream cheese, name-brand cereals and real cream for coffee (not powder). We also reveived a free newspaper every morning. The pool area is gorgeous and is open late. This is a great area of town; in walking distance of nightlife- Whiskey, Viper Room, Chi (owned by Justin Timberlake) is across the street at the Hyatt. We were worried there would not be any affordable eateries in the area but Saddle Ranch is across the street and the food is good. As well, there is a Starbuck's right there. Sunset Plaza shopping is very close; expensive though. Just walk from the hotel down Sunset Blvd. and you'll see tons of cool places. $10 cab ride to Walk of Fame and Chinese Theatre. Hidden Gem: we frequently took "The Dash" - a little bus that goes between Beverly Hills and Hollywood and is .25 cents per ride. The drivers are friendly. When vacationing in L.A. again, we would stay at the BW Sunset Plaza again. Minor issues: bath towels not replenished fully, showerhead/toilet/bath lights not working properly- toilet was fixed, parking $10/nt. Nevertheless, this is a great hotel and the room/service definitely made our trip more enjoyable! :) Thanks!

21  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 24, 2005

I spent four nights on Sunset, the first at the Hyatt and the last three at the Best Western across the street, in large part due to the reviews from this website. And boy did I choose wrong! First off, I booked (both rooms) online and at the Best Western was given a room that was less than what I paid for. It took myself speaking to the manager and two phone calls before we were finally upgraded the second night (after they twice tried to tell me that was not what I had reserved). However, then when I checked out they charged me WHEN I HAD ALREADY PAID and insisted that it was only reserved online, not paid for. Since I had to catch an airplane and it was 5am, I had to wait until I got home to work it out. And was finally given a refund by the WEBSITE, NOT the hotel who messed up! I PAID LESS to stay in the Hyatt and was given a PENTHOUSE room and treated royally. I paid more to stay in a hotel with no room service, a view of the pool (nice, but nothing to write home about), and staff who were polite and friendly while being completely unhelpful. (Both the manager and night security watched as myself and my friend struggled to get our eight bags out of the elevator and into the car. They did not even offer to hold open the door, let alone help!) Overall, cleanliness does not make up for a complete lack of anything else.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Management response:Responded April 29, 2005

Thank you for choosing the Best Western Sunset Plaza Hotel. We appreciate your comments. We are glad that you found our rooms to be spacious and clean and our staff to be polite and friendly. Our rates are competitive with the rates at the Hyatt. Our City View Suites are comparable to the Penthouse Suites at the Hyatt. We apologize that the Front Desk staff could not assist you with luggage; however we do have a bellman on duty to help with luggage upon request.

Reviewed April 24, 2005

The hotel room was a nice one and the staff was friendly--but the toilet didn't work in our room and neither did the "public" one on our floor. The hair dryer was also broken. I called to report the problems and the only response was that maintenance wouldn't be in for another half an hour. There was no mention of any kind of compensation for the inconveniences. The young women was very helpful getting us a tour of LA but I wouldn't stay there again.

7  Thank Jan5775
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed April 24, 2005

Extremely happy with this hotel. Stayed here in Dec04. Loved the fact that we were right next to House of Blues (great music, great food!), walking distance to all the other West Hollywood clubs as well. Probably not quite walking distance to Hollywood (well, you could if you wanted!) but only a five minute drive up there, if you have a car with you. Being from Australia I've been to LA four times now, this was the first time I've stayed at the Best Western Sunset. It's the best one yet for me. Service was great, complimentary breakfast, but most of all, fantastic value. If you walk out the front door, the Hyatt West Hollywood is literally on the other side of the street. Anyone know how much this hotel costs? Well, it's a lot more expensive than the Best Western on Sunset. That's why the location of the Best Western can't be beat for the $. Friendly staff too. I'd stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: December 2004
12  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 14, 2005

Having just spent eight nights at the Best Western Sunset, I am pleased to concur with previous reviewers that it's a great mid-priced hotel in the vibrant bar and restaurant scene of Sunset Boulevard in West Hollywood.

First impressions are that both the hotel and the rooms are absolutely spotless, and that care is being taken over the hotel. The staff could not have been friendlier or more welcoming, and the hotel features some gorgeous Spanish-style architecture and flowers.

A definite recommendation is to request a poolside room view- many of the rooms back onto or face the pool, which is a really attractive feature of the hotel. Again, it's evident that someone is putting in great effort.

The Hollywood Walk of Fame and Mann's Chinese Theatre are a mere $10 taxi ride away, which is really convenient. The Metro station is next to the theatre, allowing easy access to downtown and Long Beach, for instance. Yes, Los Angeles does have SOME public transport!!

Breakfast is tasty but simple- pastries, cereals and fruit. However, this is a minor point.

Overall, my brother and I had a really great time at the hotel and were very impressed. It's suitable for young people looking to enjoy the bars, and also families with the pool and nearby tourist features. Exiting the hotel and seeing the magnificent Hollywood hills opposite is the icing on the cake!

17  Thank despecialised
Reviewed April 11, 2005

We stayed in 4 different hotels throughout our 2 week stay in California and this was my favourite. I don't know why but there was something relaxed and comfortable about the stay. The location is good and the service at the hotel also very good. We only stayed for 2 nights but should have stayed longer. I would recommend a room on the ground floor with access to the swimming pool/courtyard. The continental breakfast isn't great but was adequate.

• Stayed: March 2005