“Fun, friendly, funky”

Banana Bungalow West Hollywood
Reviewed February 4, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at West Hollywood banana bungalow thanks to a great location, value for money and especially the staff!!! I really enjoyed how welcoming the staff were on arrival as I was traveling alone. I think her name was Michelle she was so great!!! I'm Australian and I think any Aussie traveling will l love this place as u feel so at home. Always something to do, people to meet and you are able to walk to some fantastic LA sights.

• Stayed: January 2013

Reviewed February 2, 2013

I loved this hostel! For the most part, the staff is very helpful and nice! I've met some great new friends from this experience so i'm grateful for that! Peter was amazing and very nice to get to know! He went above and beyond to help the guests! I wish I remembered the other names of the staff but the lady who served breakfast was lovely, so was the Canadian dude and the blonde chick up front! Darker haired chick wasn't friendly whatsoever and Steve was scary when he got drunk! Nonetheless, had a damn blast :D Thanks guys! - Laura

Room Tip: Mixed dorms are always better for meeting a range of people! Private rooms can sleep four!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We had a member of staff Maria staying in the room next to ours. She would constantly storm into our bedroom, turn the lights on, slam the bedroom door, be screaming on her phone at 3am. We were suppose to have shelves in our room, sadly I never got to use mine because she had taken every single one and piled all her stuff on. (Included in photos!).

The worst part was where she decided to get undressed in the middle of the room and throw her dirty underwear next to my bed and leave it there - twice! For my entire stay there.

The breakfast was awful, it is basically cereal and toast. And I didn't even get to pour my own milk??

However there were some members of staff who were very helpful and gave me a map and gave me transport advice etc.

And the rooms were clean.

I would never stay here again, but if you are looking to get drunk and stay up late then I would probably recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed January 20, 2013

Wouldn't stay here again. Dirty, rundown, rude people, free breakfast is a joke. Door rooms suck, we were in a 6 bed mixed dorm which was used a walk way through to the room attached because the shared the door. All the rooms face into the court yard and pumped (mostly very, very bad) music until the wee hours each night we stayed. Our window/door into the court yard was jammed and didn't closed so we got to enjoy all the music, screaming and talking all night.
Location wasn't great. Walking or cabbing best bet. Considering the price to stay here, not too many will opt for the taxi option every time. Worst place we stayed in our 3 month trip across the U.S.
On the plus side it did have an ensuite.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 12, 2013

The place is nice and clean, but some of the staff is rude and expect too much. we went down to eat couple of minutes before the start of the breakfast and all we got is a rude scream, and get the hell out of here order. The breakfast is really not a big deal , but ok for a budget hotel. 7am in the morning the music in the kitchen was so loud that the cheap oatmeal in your mouth tastes worse than ever. So, what did we have ? Zero service. no help, no kindness.just a lady with an open tipjar expecting some dollars. i understand that life is tough these days, but maybe u should help a foreigner,( who is first time in LA, no english) to wash his dish , and than maybe he comes down the next day happy leaving you a small tip.But dont expect us leaving u a tip for being rude or pulling the peanut butter out from the fridge to the table once a day. the rest of the staff was ok, at least they tried their best.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Rozsa S
Reviewed January 2, 2013

I stayed here with 6 other lads while travelling the West Coast and must say I really enjoyed my time in the Banana Bungalow. The rooms were pretty standard for a hostel, 3 bunk-beds, a bathroom and some storage space; everything you'd expect for this price range, had no complaints whatsoever. The facilities were top notch, there was always something to do and you are guaranteed to meet some cool people there in the spacious living/activity room or at night by the bar. There were computers, free wifi, pool and table-tennis tables, a big kitchen, a cool (and cheap) bar and lots of couches to chill out on. They also served very cheap breakfasts and dinners which is perfect for those people on small budgets. In addition, there were also some great nights out organised by the hostel with its sister hostels down the road in which we got drunk, met a load of chilled out people, had karaoke and ended up in your typical pretentious Hollywood club, we all had a great time. Buses into the main Hollywood strip stopped right across the road which was also handy for doing touristy stuff etc. All in all, I really enjoyed the place. What I liked most was the exciting and chilled out atmosphere of the place, there was always something on at night and it was full of other young people looking to have a good time. Definitely great value for money.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 9, 2012

The staff is friendly and helpfull.
The location is pretty good.
There are animations every night (eg, free BBQ on sunday).
The only downside is about the bed, the mattress wasn't thick and you have to put linens on it yourself.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
#5 of 353 in Los Angeles
Le Montrose Suite Hotel
Le Montrose Suite Hotel
#13 of 19 in West Hollywood

Been to Banana Bungalow West Hollywood? Share your experiences!