“Great place”

and 1 more site!
Banana Bungalow West Hollywood
Reviewed January 21, 2012

Really liked this hostel, great vibe around the place. Now the room I was in was a bit messy but sure what do you expect for the value. The staff were very helpful and friendly and it's pretty close to the touristy spots.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo

Reviewed January 18, 2012

Stayed in a private double with ensuite - was cheap. However, very noisy as right on Fairfax Ave which has traffic all through the night. Free budweiser and cheap dinners were good and nice social atmosphere in the courtyard.

The bus to Disneyland that the hostel booked for us was great, at the bus company's reception you can buy disneyland tickets for $70 (cheaper than online or at the gates and no queues!).

Location was average, Melrose Ave was walking distance (great shopping!) but that was about all. Hollywood itself is pretty tacky & dirty, would recommend staying out at Santa Monica instead. Most Hollywood attractons can be done in a day so I don't think you really need to stay in Hollywood itself.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not on the road side of the hostel!
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 18, 2011

after reading all these reviews my friend and i were quite worried about staying at banana bungalow west hollywood but it was actually such a great place that we ended up going back 3 times and recommending it to everyone we met travelling. everything is kept really clean, the staff are so friendly and fun and helpful, especially nikita who made us feel really welcome and at home. yes, it is loud at night but it's also super fun - literally every night there is stuff to keep you amused. would recommend it to those looking for a fun, clean, friendly and affordable place to stay in LA.

Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Benaisha
Reviewed December 3, 2011

I have got to be honest, I was a bit worried about staying here after reading the reviews but I found our stay really pleasant. The staff were all lovely, our private room was what we needed and included our own private bathroom which is always a bonus. We also had a balcony and a really comfy bed. The room we were in faced the garden area which was noisy up until about 1am but noise doesn't bother us at all so that wasn't an issue. We did the universal studios tour which was absolutely incredible! I do advise booking this through Banana, it was well priced with ticket and transport to and from. Free breakfast is nice too and free wireless is a huge saving! Overall, it is well priced, great location and we would def stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 9, 2011

On arrival I was advised that I would be required to change rooms the following day. The private room I had booked was very basic and dated. It seemed clean and away from any noise.

The following morning I was again advised that I would have to change rooms that evening when I returned from Universal Studios. I asked on return about the room change and was told that I would remain in the room but not to go on the balcony. I checked the balcony and saw that there was work being carried out and the sliding door to the balcony would not close or lock.

I brought this to the attention of the staff and they said said they would be up to look at it in the next ten minutes. I waited half an hour and they still didn't show up. I ended up having to find some wood to chock up the door to stop it from being able to be opened.

They also advised that the bus to Disneyland would depart everyday - this is not the case. I had planned my trip so I could attend things on certain days. I was advised the morning I had booked to go to Disneyland that the bus would not be going. I ended up on the City Tour instead - which was quite good.

It is not a place I would stay at again.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank skychels
Reviewed October 21, 2011

staff werent very helpful on arrival i informed the staff that i had problems with my bank account as had been travelling for 10 months by this point and had been scammed somewhere along the way so was waiting for my money to be transferred to a new account and i would be able to pay the full amount in a couple of days in cash this was agreed so i left my bank card and passport as a deposit. they then proceeded to run my card through after a couple of days taking the full amount including the deposit and a charge by paying by card when i had said i would pay in cash, also they say there is a regular bus service from the airport which i waited for but never saw so caught the red minivans they advise to take and they will reimburse you, they saw me arrive but because i didnt get a receipt they wouldnt honour it. The place is full of wanna be actors and not many travellers but it served its purpose as a cheap stay in L.A and you can fill up on their free breakfast in the morning and they did seem to have a lot of events on in the evenings as well but all the rooms back on to the courtyard they're held in meaning sleep is hard to get until late.there is a large tv room downstairs so you can always go down there to chill. it is fairly easy to get about from the hostel as bus stops are 5 mins away and the hollywood sights are a 20 min walk, i would stay here again but only as its cheap (by L.A prices) and convenient

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed October 19, 2011

I stayed here in March 2010. It was good for the price, had a large room, bed and bathroom to myself. It was very basic and functionally, though a little shabby in places. I didn't spend much time hanging out there, just there to sleep... Not really a place I'd recommend hanging out in. The most annoying part was being right above the outdoor bar where they had parties almost every night, which got really old after a while. I would probably only stay here again if I just needed somewhere cheap for one night.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo