“seafood go-to”
Review of Connie & Ted's

Connie & Ted's
Reserve with OpenTable
Connie & Ted's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 442 Restaurants in West Hollywood
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: West Hollywood
Cross street: Havenhurst Drive
Reviewed October 22, 2013

finding a great seafood place ion LA is quite a challenge since there"s not many to choose from. This one has it all in one place! definitely try the lobster rolls and the grilled lobster...amazing!

1  Thank ckassabi

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Connie & Ted's has all the ingredients that make for a long run in a fickle market. The setting reveals how corporate Gulfstream is, although the kitchen staffs in both restaurants are equally talented. Here, the menu consists of fewer appetizers or small plates than you'd expect, given the popularity of smaller portions. I'd give this five stars if the menu were improved. Surprising little shrimp and lobster offerings and not much fish variety. Side dishes are made well and somewhat standard; in need of variety and something special. The temptation to rely on fried foods has to be resisted, despite the fact that they do onion rings so well.

Reviewed October 16, 2013

I have never been afraid of trendy, noisy restaurants; but the noise level here was way beyond acceptable. None of our party of four could hear each other, and spent most of the meal leaning over the table towards the center to carry on a conversation. If noise at this level isn't your thing, skip this restaurant no matter what you hope for by way of food.

This is one of the hottest new restaurants in LA and getting a reservation, even on a weeknight isn't easy. If you do, try to see if you can get seated outdoors on the patio. There may be other drawbacks being outdoors facing the parking lot, but the noise level appeared lower, though still high enough to have a fun "vibe" to it.

If you are willing to give it a try, definitely order the lobster roll. It was nearly heaven-like (my wife used a more colorful sexual reference.....). Though small and only served with a side of not unusual cole slaw, the toasted, buttered bread was near perfection and the amount of good sized pieces of lobster in the sandwich itself made for an outstanding meal. One of our party had the burger and said it was the best one she has ever had. And it was priced below what you pay for burgers at most high end restaurants and even at most burger restaurants. The other two of us had the boiled dinner, that came with lobster, and steamed clams and mussels, along with corn, sausage, and potatoes, all in an excellent broth. the portions of each item were small, but the meal as a whole was satisfying. Some of the mussels, as others have noted, couldn't be opened. That's OK and to be expected with a bowl of mussels, but when there are only five and presumably counted as they are put in, someone should have seen the inedible ones and replaced them.

The appetizers were mostly quite good. We had an asparagus-kale salad that was excellent and unusual. The New England Clam Chowder was thin as other reviewers have noted, but that only made it superb - delicate and clam-tasting and creamy, without overwhelming your taste buds with flour or other thickeners like Progresso does. I thought that its delicate aspect was what made it so excellent. to each their own, I guess. And, while other reviewers complain about the size of the cup, $6 for a cup of excellent soup at a restaurant of this quality seems to be a fair price. And, I would not have wanted more.

We did have one appetizer that was a bomb: clam cakes. they were heavily breaded and had little taste in their fried exterior. Yuk.

So, if you go, eat outside, definitely get the lobster roll, and perhaps explore their great selection of east coast oysters (priced at $3 per, so expensive), and their many fresh fish selections. Lobsters are $30/lb for lobsters over 2 pounds, so ordering a lobster will be costly.

Some people commented on the service. We had no real issues: we were seated promptly and our waiter was fun, professional, and warm. Because the food did come a little slowly, someone decided to send us an extra appetizer while we waited: grilled calamari that was quite delicious. A nice gesture for a restaurant still working out its kinks in getting everyone served.

While the restaurant was very good in some respects, I am not sure how often I will be going back even though I live within walking distance of it.

Reviewed September 29, 2013

Connie & Ted's is located in the sleekly renovated building of the old Silver Spoon (a greasy diner that was, in it's day, a hangout to the stars). Living in the area, I've watched the construction and noticed the bustle of customers after it opened. So, I was excited to try this new addition to the neighborhood. My boyfriend's birthday was the perfect opportunity.

Unfortunately, I was disappointed from the start. With a 9:30 pm reservation, we had to wait 20 minutes to be seated. The two of us were placed at a 4-seat table which was really almost large enough to seat 6 if you put people at the ends. Nevermind that there were at least one or two other 2 seat tables available and we weren't asked if we would like to sit on the covered patio. The table was in the very middle of the restaurant, not very intimate. And to make things worse, the noise level was so high and the table just wide enough that we couldn't even talk to one another.

Then came the food. We had the single scallop served in the shell as an appetizer. It was delicious, buttery, tender, well seasoned... the absolute best part of the entire experience even at a rather high $23. For the main course, we had the Shellfish Marinara which was a big disappointment since the waitress said it was her favorite. Some of the clams & mussels were a bit chewy and most had been cooked to the point that they had fallen out of the shell. An unsettling number of the mussels didn't even open. We had to request a dish in which to place the empty shells. Worst of all, the dish was way too salty. We also had the Lobster Roll which was a bit skimpy on lobster, though I may have been spoiled by a recent trip to Maine. The Fingering Potatoes and Fries would have been excellent if they weren't also excessively salted. The Mac & Cheese had a perfectly crispy crust on top but was otherwise unremarkable.

I hate wasting food; so, I had everything boxed to go... except the Shellfish Marinara - it really wasn't good! I was bewildered and surprised when I opened the boxes to supplement our lunch today. I found less than 1/3 of the food that we had left on our plates! Did the servers eat it themselves? Did they think we would just throw it in the garbage anyway?

To top off the experience, as we walked home we saw a rat scurry from the little alleyway behind the restaurant. When we looked down the open air alleyway, we saw the servers carrying food up a stair from a basement from where the rat appeared to have come. Needless to say, I'm disappointed in my new neighborhood restaurant. And, I will not be going back!

1  Thank JDBonthemove
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Hotel (Andaz) recommended this and I am glad we went there. When I called, they were not taking any more reservations that evening, but they were friendly enough and did say that they always had a couple of tables for walk-ins and that you could also eat at the bar or grab a drink and wait.

Its just under a mile from the hotel we stayed at so was a piece of cake to get to. Looks trendy from the outside and as soon as you enter, you are hit by a wall of noise and happening atmosphere. Bar to the right (and a tiny little lounge/waiting area) and you could either sit inside or outside.

3 very efficient girls working the front check in area and they advised a 30-40 min wait. As we walked to the bar to grab a drink, this being LA, I handed one of the girls a decent tip and voila, 5 mins later and they had a table. We had not even had time to order a drink

We had some of the freshest natural oysters I have eaten in the US (terrific). We then had a cup of clam chowder (excellent) and none of that thickened with corn flour chowder that is all so common.

My mother ate the grilled lobster (served by the pound) and comes with a simple clarified butter sauce) and I had the Market Flat fish. Wasnt as good as a recent chilean sea bass I had, but it was decent enough. Had the asparagus salad - which initially I thought had too much dressing on it, but it was excellent.

We shared a "blondie" - which was excellent.

Very good wine list and decently priced - had a excellent Chablis. Staff were terrific, not up themselves and atmosphere told you that this place cranked along at a decent clip all night. Couldnt really fault the place - would be good for a large group. Very relaxed casual setting and overall, good quality food.

Definitely worth another visit.