“Extremely Disappointed” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Connie & Ted's

Connie & Ted's
Reserve with OpenTable
Connie & Ted's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #20 of 426 Restaurants in West Hollywood
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Soups
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Large groups, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: West Hollywood
Cross street: Havenhurst Drive
West Hollywood, California
“Extremely Disappointed”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

Connie & Ted's is located in the sleekly renovated building of the old Silver Spoon (a greasy diner that was, in it's day, a hangout to the stars). Living in the area, I've watched the construction and noticed the bustle of customers after it opened. So, I was excited to try this new addition to the neighborhood. My boyfriend's birthday was the perfect opportunity.

Unfortunately, I was disappointed from the start. With a 9:30 pm reservation, we had to wait 20 minutes to be seated. The two of us were placed at a 4-seat table which was really almost large enough to seat 6 if you put people at the ends. Nevermind that there were at least one or two other 2 seat tables available and we weren't asked if we would like to sit on the covered patio. The table was in the very middle of the restaurant, not very intimate. And to make things worse, the noise level was so high and the table just wide enough that we couldn't even talk to one another.

Then came the food. We had the single scallop served in the shell as an appetizer. It was delicious, buttery, tender, well seasoned... the absolute best part of the entire experience even at a rather high $23. For the main course, we had the Shellfish Marinara which was a big disappointment since the waitress said it was her favorite. Some of the clams & mussels were a bit chewy and most had been cooked to the point that they had fallen out of the shell. An unsettling number of the mussels didn't even open. We had to request a dish in which to place the empty shells. Worst of all, the dish was way too salty. We also had the Lobster Roll which was a bit skimpy on lobster, though I may have been spoiled by a recent trip to Maine. The Fingering Potatoes and Fries would have been excellent if they weren't also excessively salted. The Mac & Cheese had a perfectly crispy crust on top but was otherwise unremarkable.

I hate wasting food; so, I had everything boxed to go... except the Shellfish Marinara - it really wasn't good! I was bewildered and surprised when I opened the boxes to supplement our lunch today. I found less than 1/3 of the food that we had left on our plates! Did the servers eat it themselves? Did they think we would just throw it in the garbage anyway?

To top off the experience, as we walked home we saw a rat scurry from the little alleyway behind the restaurant. When we looked down the open air alleyway, we saw the servers carrying food up a stair from a basement from where the rat appeared to have come. Needless to say, I'm disappointed in my new neighborhood restaurant. And, I will not be going back!

• Visited September 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank JDBonthemove

Denver, Colorado
“Good on the outside. Good on the inside...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013

Hotel (Andaz) recommended this and I am glad we went there. When I called, they were not taking any more reservations that evening, but they were friendly enough and did say that they always had a couple of tables for walk-ins and that you could also eat at the bar or grab a drink and wait.

Its just under a mile from the hotel we stayed at so was a piece of cake to get to. Looks trendy from the outside and as soon as you enter, you are hit by a wall of noise and happening atmosphere. Bar to the right (and a tiny little lounge/waiting area) and you could either sit inside or outside.

3 very efficient girls working the front check in area and they advised a 30-40 min wait. As we walked to the bar to grab a drink, this being LA, I handed one of the girls a decent tip and voila, 5 mins later and they had a table. We had not even had time to order a drink

We had some of the freshest natural oysters I have eaten in the US (terrific). We then had a cup of clam chowder (excellent) and none of that thickened with corn flour chowder that is all so common.

My mother ate the grilled lobster (served by the pound) and comes with a simple clarified butter sauce) and I had the Market Flat fish. Wasnt as good as a recent chilean sea bass I had, but it was decent enough. Had the asparagus salad - which initially I thought had too much dressing on it, but it was excellent.

We shared a "blondie" - which was excellent.

Very good wine list and decently priced - had a excellent Chablis. Staff were terrific, not up themselves and atmosphere told you that this place cranked along at a decent clip all night. Couldnt really fault the place - would be good for a large group. Very relaxed casual setting and overall, good quality food.

Definitely worth another visit.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Paris, Ile-de-France, France
“Upscale seafood option in LA”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

Went with a friend after reading about Connie and Ted's upon arriving in Los Angeles a few months prior -- their fish and chips were rated one of the best in town. Great service, good beer selections, and fresh oysters shipped from all over the States. The fish and chips were tasty, though I would've liked just a little more fish.

Los Angeles
“Upbeat, Trendy, East Coast pretender....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013

This place is difficult to get reservations for. I called a week in advance for a 7:30 on a Monday. They were very friendly and our table was ready in 5 minutes, but we opted for two bar seats that were available. Very attentive and friendly wait staff. Delicious, but small claims on the half shell. Had the fish boil, very small portions in a delicious broth. We tried the claim chowder, much thinner than the usual New England soup and very small bowl. The food was overall delicious, but quite expensive. The bill for the two of us was quite high and I was still hungry. We don't mind paying good money, but the portions should be enough. I guess we are paying for the airfare to get these goodies from the East coast to WEHO.

Manhattan Beach, California, USA
“A clam shack?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

I dreamed of this place for about 6 months! I love fried clams and I'm from NH.

So I was disappointed in the clams, they were chewy but nicely cooked. The rest of what we had was good but not life changing. The chowder was thin and I felt the clams were overlooked. Liked the stuffies. Oysters were great. Fish and chips were good. Mussels were nice. Place had a cool vibe.

My biggest issue was the lack of fun anywhere in the house. No one smiled!! Our waiter could have cared less, he could have worked at IHOP. Wait, no... They have fun there. This is a clam shack!! Supposed to be summer all the time and fun!!

Oh well, back to the Clam Shack for the real deal.

• 3 of 5 bubbles