“Good, not great, can be exceptionally noisy, quite expensive, a lot better out there”

Il Piccolino Trattoria
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: West Hollywood
Cross street: 1 block North of Beverly Blvd
Reviewed March 25, 2012

We were recommended the restaurant by the hotel we stayed (which was excellent). The food was good. Some was very good (my wife had spaghetti bolognese with turkey - quite good) I had risotto with lemon and zucchini flowers that was good (not great) and at 24 dollars, appetizer size. The appetizers were good. The menu was quite pricey even for the neighbourhood, caprese salad was 18 dollars and we passed. The wine menu was ok. The environment was not impressive. We sat where you first come in and the room is wrapped in plastic and the floor concrete with only adequate tables/chairs. Because of its construction, the annoying neighbours were amplified so much that we almost couldn't hear ourselves think. We heard all about their plastic surgeons, and their private jet (we weren't jealous) but when our teenage daughter, attempting to outshout them, said at the top of her voice: "Thanks for the boob job mom and dad", no one, even them, could even hear it. It was intolerable. I can't say I would have enjoyed it a lot more if it had been quieter but I would say it is ok but expensive and with modest surrounding. Much better was the next night at Il Cielo.

1  Thank gajgmusic

Reviewed February 20, 2012

I had been to Il Piccolino a few times for lunch and never had any wine but finally went there for dinner with some friends and had some wine, well that was an interesting experience, they give you a huge glass with probably 3 oz of wine in it instead the usual 5 oz. but charge you still the full amount of $ 10 or more per glass depending on the wine. The pasta was not great, the artichoke was not great, the prices are high, they charge $ 55 for a dover sole !!!
I was afraid to ask how much the specials were, probably somewhere in the $70 - $80 range.

Will not go back for dinner but might go back for lunch as their salads are pretty good.

2  Thank MakeMyBed
Reviewed February 11, 2012

I was walking the area around Cedars-Sinai Med Center on a Friday night. Since I had a family member with an extended stay there, I needed something different for dinner. I happened on Il Piccolino quite by accident. The restaurant was full with no tables avsilable, even for 1 person, but the manager made a small table available to me that is normally not used. The service was attentive and friendly, however, some sticker shock occurred when reviewing the menu. The waitress recommended a risotto dish which was well presented ad flavorful. The atmosphere was lively albeit loud from a small number of patrons. It was apparent a large number of the clientele were 'regulars' so I would assume a fair number of repeat patrons.

I would recommend for the food (granted I have only tried one dish) and service, but be prepared for a bill not for the faint of heart.

Reviewed December 1, 2011

Reliable upscale Italian food. I've eaten here many times over the last 5 years and never had a bad meal. Great seafood dishes. Not easy to find if you don't know where it is -- no sign visible from Robertson Blvd. Usually plenty of street parking after 6. Be sure to try the zucchini flower and polenta appetizer.

2  Thank Ray D
Reviewed September 14, 2011

mouth watering food. I have eatten here like 10 times over the past couple years and every dish I have ordered (whether it be the apps, entrees, or desserts) are so delicious. best part is that is hidden in that Zagats and them do not cover this restaurant as the owner said they want to stay out of the mainstream.

my favorite pasta there is the squid ink pasta with pine nuts, shrimp, and bortaga. italian fine dining at its SUPREME

2  Thank Gum D