“FAB COOL & UNIQUE HOTEL”
Review of Chateau Marmont

Chateau Marmont
Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in West Hollywood
London
“FAB COOL & UNIQUE HOTEL”
Reviewed March 23, 2010

We almost didn't stay at the Chateau because of the mixed review on this website and boy am I glad we did!!!

This hotel is like no other I have ever stayed in. It's so unique, and has a magical cool vibe about it.

We stayed in a cottage - so I cannot comment on the rooms but it was so CUTE!!! It had bags of charm and really felt like stepping back to the 60's when you walked through the front door. For two days we had our own house in LA, which rocked and the private entrance on Sunset Blvd felt very special!!! The decor is authentic but they must be careful to not cross the boundaries into shabby - for example our bath was a little chipped and so were the tiles but this didn't really bother me and the Kiehls items more than made up for it. The bathrooms and bedrooms were pretty small though!

I love attention to detail and the cottages so have this - they even left ice cubes in the freezer in the kitchen. The tea lights to burn in the bedroom smell amazing, and there's a full size candle in the mini bar which is now in my bedroom at home.

You can hear the street from the cottages at times though because of the windows being from the 60's and the volume of traffic outside....

Unless you are staying in the hotel, or are a somebody getting on the patio to dine or drink can be tricky so being whisked ahead of wannabes felt very good :-) the food was nice and service pretty good, we also dined at Bar Marmont which was lovely too.

Within seconds of checking in we saw A list celebrities, and this continued for our two night stay.

The pool is rather small but still in a lovely secluded spot not far from the cottages, and the walk to the cottage from the hotel at night is very pretty with fairly lights etc...

The check in staff were lovely and we felt very welcome. Both nights we were in when the turn down maids came, however we asked for them to come back later which they never did which was a little poor.

The free wi-fi is fab and was nice to have.

This hotel isn't plush or grand it's edgy and cool. So if you want the latter this is for you. I would go again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Shoesy80

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
london, uk
Reviewed March 2, 2010

Stayed here on Dec 20th 2009 for first 2 nights of our honeymoon. Got out of cab and my wife spotted someone from friends within seconds!!
We were upgraded from a normal room to a cottage which was amazing v good of them.
We loved the hotel as it was really different. I.e. the reception, dining area and outside dining area was just like being in France. The cottage rooms are then completely different feel like being on a tropical island, palm trees, bamboo plants banana plants so on.
The room decor and finishing were all 60's felt like you could have been on a set of an old movie. Must admit im not sure I would want to stay more than a few nights though as I do prefer the more luxury bits in hotel rooms.
Bed was so comfy.
Bathroom v small.

Restaurant served great food but...I must say the service was really slow, we didn’t really mind but you did have to literally get up and I went off wandering to try and find waiters on a few occasions.
The outside dining area was lovely for drinks in eve and breakfast with papers, and that was Dec!!
The Marmont bar just next to the hotel is v trendy, and busy but not overly so.

If you want something a bit different and really cool then try this place.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank smoothie78
Sydney
Reviewed February 2, 2010

Chateau Marmont is the sort of hotel whose reputation precedes it. There is so much history in this place that it's exciting just to be there. What's more, the rooms are spacious, beautifully furnished with an 1920s-aesthetic, and the location is unbeatable. We were upgraded to a poolside cottage, a little 1 bedroom house separate from the main hotel building. We really felt like celebrities and were treated like ones, even though there were far bigger stars staying here.
Amenities by Kiehls added a touch of luxury, and in-room dining was excellent if you feel like a night in.
Highly recommended when visiting West Hollywood.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TMandK
maine
Reviewed December 29, 2009

The suite was spacious and comfortable, as was the bed. The decor is straight out of old Hollywood -- more 50's than anything else, which we rather liked. Unfortunately, the bathroom was also vintage, and although quaint, I would have preferred an upgraded tub and shower. The common areas downstairs were also quaint and fun to visit, and the lighting everywhere was dim, which might be flattering, but was hell on middle-aged eyes. The garden dining area was quite pretty, but I'd avoid spending much time there except for drinks because the food was below average. I ate there three separate times (all for Hollywood business meals) and in every case the food was blah. Finally, thinking that I'd go with a sure-fire entree that they couldn't screw up, I ordered prime rib. It came drenched in an extremely salty gravy. They managed to ruin a piece of perfectly good beef with GRAVY.

Worst of all was the restaurant service. Instead of assigning one waitperson for your table, there seemed to be no one who'd take responsibility. We kept having to ask different people to bring different things. The wait for ANYTHING was incredibly long.

Another annoying thing was the no-photos policy. You weren't even allowed to take photos of your own dining party. Apparently, this was to protect "celebrities" who were staying there. Excuse me, but I didn't spot a single celebrity with the exception of one dissolute former comedian who hung around the lobby, looking like he was lost.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
3 Thank docwatson_236
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed November 29, 2009

I spent three nights at the Chateau in November 2009 while in West Hollywood on business. The Chateau is definitely a celeb hot spot, but it's far from the most luxurious hotel in the world.

Registration was painless enough, and the gentleman at the desk was kind enough to show me to my room personally. The suite was large and spacious with a queen sized bed, quasi-separate sitting area with sofa, a walk-in closet, dining room, and kitchen. The bath was a tad on the small size, but was manageable. Extra touches were the pleasant candles burning on the bureau and the jazz playing in the entertainment center when I entered the suite. There was also a flat-screen TV and iPod docking station, making the room quite comfortable.

Keep in mind that the rooms are quite authentic to the period in which the Chateau was built - meaning real keys (not key cards), old leaded glass windows, and slow elevators. The noise level can be problematic, and the hotel provides earplugs in every room.

Would I stay again? Probably...the experience is fun, and the location is quite good. But, don't confuse the Chateau with a super luxury experience.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank Brad A
San Luis Obispo, CA
Reviewed November 8, 2009

I booked this hotel because it was written up as one of the hotels you need to "Stay in Before You Die". I took my husband there as a weekend getaway. Aside from the fact that there are celebrities at every other table during dinner, this hotel is seriously lacking.

The lobby and restaurant have the romantic, old-time Hollywood feel, however, you are not allowed to take any pictures in the hotel ( I guess for celebrity privacy?) I will say that the food at the restaurant was incredible - maybe the best Kobe Burger ever! But all of the waiters seem to be "starving actors" hoping to get their big break. When they realize that you are just an Average Joe, they give you minimal service.

The room was nothing special and definitely not worth the price. We were on the 7th floor, which did give us with an amazing view of Hollywood. However, the single-paned windows did not provide ANY buffer for the late-night revelries (until 2:30 am)

Overall, our experience was just OK.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank tuktuktravel
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 31, 2009

the carpet in the first room i was given was soaking wet, and the bathroom was covered in mold and stank badly. When i turned the radio off, the noise from the industrial unit in the hall was overwhelmingly loud.

when i complained, the second room i was given was a bit better, though the bathroom was still mouldy, the paint on the walls was chipped, and the decor was tired and faded.

as for the service, the staff behaved like they couldn't care less about the hotels guests, and seemed far more concerned with the occasional movie biz players who frequent the restaurant at night. I checked in at 6PM after a 12 hour flight from Europe, yet was rudely told the restaurant was full so they wouldn't be able to serve me any food... The next night, I had to insist that if they wouldn't serve me food, I would check out - so they relented and found me a table right away. The food is good here, but not any better than other decent hotels.

My advice? Stay well away, this place is an overpriced dump that couldn't care less about its guests.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
#17 of 350 in Los Angeles
Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel
Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel
#12 of 19 in West Hollywood

Been to Chateau Marmont? Share your experiences!