“Overated celebrity hotel”
Review of Chateau Marmont

Chateau Marmont
Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in West Hollywood
Reviewed February 28, 2014

Finally had the chance to visit the famed Chateau where the famous celebrities hang out. The entrance to the property is obscure - drive too fast along Sunset and you will miss it. The hotel does not offer self parking, only valet so your only other choice is to hunt for limited street parking around the neighborhood. The exterior of the Chateau looks impressive and imposing, a castle on a hill. The interior was dark and moody, and had an old Hollywood ambiance.

I visited a one bedroom suite on the third floor. To my dismal surprise the suite contained an outdated bathroom and kitchen. The appliances had not been upgraded since several decades ago. The bathroom was small. The only redeeming quality of the room was the bedroom which had nice Frette linen.

I did not get the chance to dine at their property or visit the bar. I also did not spot any famous celebrities but they were preparing for an invite only book release party of a world famous photographer and the Oscar. The hotel staff is courteous but not friendly. They will only be willing to help you if you approach them first.

I do not understand how they can justify charging expensive rates for their sub par rooms. Their rooms are in dire need of a renovation. Looking outside the window from the suite, I could see the roof of their bar was in disrepair - not a pleasant sight to behold.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room!
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank Hubert F

Reviewed February 20, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the chateau for a long weekend. We arrived and they upgraded us to a cottage-it was so lovely and charming. It was fully stocked and they even had stationary with my name printed on it. The service was impeccable and we will definitely make this our only place to stay when we go to LA.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Alex W
Reviewed January 24, 2014

Let me start off by saying that I have been to the Chateau more than I can count. I have only stayed in the Hotel one night. But find myself going back to the patio for dinner, drinks, and to hang out under the stars or next to the stars. The food is delicious. Very basic, comfort food mostly. But I or my friends go there for the vibe. You need a res, because they have many celebs and visitors. So they can be picky to get in. But once you are in, they treat you like your'e one of them. You need to sit outside. Do not sit inside as you will be disappointed. It's all about outside and the atmosphere . I have had dinner sitting next to Pink, Ellen, Collin Ferrel, Natalie Portman, the list goes on. It's still a Hollywood A lister place. If you like that kinda thing, you will like this place. But remember it's not about them, it's about the Vibe.

Room Tip: Ask for a remodeled room, don't expect perfection with the rooms, they are old.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
7  Thank 3yarddogs
Reviewed January 3, 2014

The dodgy neon sign with only half of 'Marmont' illuminated should have been a warning sign, but we plundered on in...then there were ear-plugs in the bathroom cabinet - ahhhhhhhh, getting interesting. First off let me say the staff were exceptional - on the desk, in the wonderful restaurant and bar and helping us park in the garage - great people all...our stay in Room 27 was less than splendid though in a ho-hum room with leaky bathroom. There is a line - a thick one I now think - between cool retro and old, tired and a bit shabby. The clattering from the kitchen below our window at 2am wasn't appreciated - yes, should have used those ear-plugs. You expect more from a room which costs $650 a night. By contrast, we had the best of times in the wonderful bar and restaurant. As others have said on Trip Advisor, insist on a renovated room.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Coasters
Reviewed December 27, 2013

We have stayed at the Chateau on about 10 occasions over 10 years. It's one of the main reasons why we travel the 6,000 miles from the UK to LA. Oh, and the weather too.

It is a five star hotel, but not a conventional one. It's funky, it's old Hollywood and there's is genuinely nowhere else like it in the world. Where many five star hotels are plush, but could be in any major city, you know where you are at the Chateau.

The pool is charming, the main lobby stylish and the outdoor restaurant is tranquil by day and buzzing at night.

The staff are wonderful, friendly and charming. Special praise for Jesse, Peter, Scott, and Matthew the host, he of the fabulous hair and very high cheekbones.

The restaurant food is great comfort food: strip steak (with superb fries), spaghetti bolognese and even shepherds pie. The Sunday night fried chicken is rightly legendary.

We'll be back in May 2014. Can't wait.

Room Tip: Room overlooking the city have amazing views, but you pay for the privilege
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AndrewN916
Reviewed December 20, 2013

I was lucky to get a renovated room, nr 21, facing the restaurant. There's just something in the air at this place. Old Hollywood. I absolutely love it. The gym is tiny. I usually care, but I don't. I just don't want to leave. Your mileage may vary.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a renovated room. The other ones aren't that great.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Bandini
Reviewed November 27, 2013

Magnificent, in a word. World Class in two. Without equal in two more.
THE Chateau is legendary and after a week during the Holidays it is even more so. Ambiance in all places. Grand food and wines. Discreet and caring service make this the only hotel for us in Hollywood. We even fly from LAX fbo to our other West Coast venues just to stay here. Yes, it's worth it.

• Stayed: December 2012
The Hollywood Roosevelt
#16 of 355 in Los Angeles
Andaz West Hollywood
#4 of 19 in West Hollywood

Been to Chateau Marmont? Share your experiences!