“A personal fav....still!!”

Ranked #11 of 19 Hotels in West Hollywood
Redondo Beach
“A personal fav....still!!”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Love this property, I live in LA but every so often I splurge and stay for the weekend. Never fails to enchant me. Just on busy Sunset Blvd but once through the doors you are transported back to old Hollywood. Always love to have a drink in the small bar next to the concierge...the whole place is great, if you are visiting LA and don't stay there, make sure you have a look.

Room Tip: Not the strip view if you want peace but the view is great..you can sleep when you get back home..
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank barking1RedondoBeach

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Londoner
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I grew up reading tales of what happened at Chateau Marmont and it had been a dream of mine to visit since a teenager. Staying there was on the bucket list for me. I spent a week in one of the Garden Cottages and loved my time at the hotel, other friends had told me that it can sometimes be noisy in the main hotel, but the cottages were quaint and comfortable. The cottage had a wonderful old fashioned kitchen that meant I could self cater when I wanted (not all the time, the fries were amazing on room service) and a private street entrance in addition to the entrance through the main hotel / pool area, making it feel more like home than a hotel.

The location is great, midway between the city and the beach. Unlike 99% of guests I had no car and found the buses easy to all major destinations although I also took the pleasant walk down to Beverly Hills a couple of times. You can also walk to Trader Joes (5 mins) and Whole Foods (15 mins) if you fancy and there are a couple of good pubs nearby but you'll probably want at least one drink in the bar for star spotting!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank sevendialsgirl
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I see people discussing the tourists, but it is still a hot spot for locals. I stayed at the Marmont with my two dogs for an unexpected stay. I had an enormous junior suite, complete with kitchen, living room and separate bedroom. The old school decor is chic but subdued, and you cannot get this much space for the price anywhere in Hollywood. The lobby is still very fun for meetings, drinks and people-watching, and the staff is excellent. I invited friends over to sit by the pool for the afternoon, and we had a lovely, low-key afternoon. My dogs and I felt safe and sound. I'm a local to Hollywood. Those in the know still stay at the Marmont. Have breakfast in the garden, it's gorgeous.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank zeppo33
NEW YORK
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Chateau Marmont was on my hotel bucket list and I was not disappointed. Beautiful room, excellent service and amazing grounds. Breakfast at the pool should not be missed. A great experience and well worth the price!

• Stayed September 2012
Boston, MA
Reviewed May 2, 2013

One of my favorite hotels in the world has been the Chateau Marmont. I have managed to stay in just about every room at this classic, old Hollywood haunt. However, I am parting ways with the Chateau because everything I used to like about this place has been destroyed by tourists who now make this seem more like the Standard than the Chateau Marmont.

This place is usually crammed to the gills now with tourists ... many Austrailian and Brits and some Americans. It used to be a very exclusive retreat where you could count on privacy, discression and fun times. Now it is full of loud tourists wandering the halls taking pictures for facebook to tell all their friends about their stay at this Hollywood classic which is known for famous guests and no stranger to scandal.

I blame it on an overly zealous publicity department ... a culture obsessed with celebrity ... and the apparent good economy in Austrailia and England where people don't mind paying $600 for a room that looks like a bus station bathroom. All the charm is gone from this place and it seems more like Disneyland for adults. The last several times I tried to book a room they were completely sold out. When I did manage to get a room, in the past I could count on a midnight swim by myself. Now, there is a pool full of people at 2 a.m. on a Monday night.

What was once almost an inside secret is now one of Hollywood's top tourist destinations, it seems. I am moving on to a more discrete hotel with less tourist activity. This used to be my favorite place ... and if you are looking for old school Hollywood the way it was in the 1920s ... this is it. Unfotunately, now its a non-stop party that everyone is invited to providing they can pay $600 for a room. And they do. Lots of them.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank LovinHotelLife
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

When I visit LA I usually stay at ultra modern and trendy hotels and expected the same from the Chateau Marmont. Within the first couple of minutes of entering my suite I realised how mistaken I was.

Firstly, check in and valet staff were super friendly upon arrival. The lobby is beautiful and its clear from the off that this hotel is full of beautiful people. Every other person had that touch of glamour that can only come with fame, fortune or an LA lifestyle.

I was staying in Suite 33 and I'm not sure what I was expecting, but the decor was fresh from the 40's/50's and looked like it hadn't been refurbished since. Once I got over the initial surprise, it was this stripped back, retro feel that made me fall in love with the room. It was vintage, it was a bit shabby chic but more importantly it was comfortable and homely. There was a personalised note from the manager welcoming me to the hotel (nice touch) and glorious jazz music playing in the room when I first entered which added to the retro feel of the room.

The breakfast was yummy, although unfortunately I got ill on my trip so didn't sample the restaurant, bar or pool area which I was very sad about. I have heard from many people that Bar Marmont is THE place to go to people watch over drinks.

I'd definitely return to the hotel, the rooms make me feel all fuzzy and content just thinking of them, but if you prefer modern, trendy and ultra slick rooms, this probably isn't the place for you.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank hall284002
Farmington Hills, Michigan
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I had the opportuity to stay at Chateau Marmont recently. Have stayed there many times. Enjoyed it totally. Great crowd. Great rooms. Excellent staff. Superior time. I didn't even need to leave the Hotel to have a great time, but I did. The coolnest of the Hotel continues. Richard C. Rollins

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
#16 of 350 in Los Angeles
Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel
Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel
#12 of 19 in West Hollywood

Been to Chateau Marmont? Share your experiences!