“A personal fav....still!!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in West Hollywood
Redondo Beach
“A personal fav....still!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

Love this property, I live in LA but every so often I splurge and stay for the weekend. Never fails to enchant me. Just on busy Sunset Blvd but once through the doors you are transported back to old Hollywood. Always love to have a drink in the small bar next to the concierge...the whole place is great, if you are visiting LA and don't stay there, make sure you have a look.

Room Tip: Not the strip view if you want peace but the view is great..you can sleep when you get back home..
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank barking1RedondoBeach

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

The place is over rated and as for the restaurant, the worst. Went for dinner, ordered a coffee drink and ended up with a water glass with some alcohol in the bottom...no coffee. We were given menus however the wait staff never came back even though the restaurant was only half full. The hostess did tell us that we would have to be gone by 8 30 which was fine although when she returned to our table to let us know the time, we said that we hadn't had dinner and no wait staff had even asked us what we wanted for dinner. We received the bill which had an 18 percent tip added on. 18 percent for no service, very strange. We left disgusted and will not return. The waiters feel that because they are guaranteed the tip, they do not have to serve you. They were standing around, not busy at all. Please note I am no slouch and we were staying at the Beverly Hills hotel, which by the way is first class. Worst service I have ever experienced so be aware.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
13 Thank Lisa M
Londoner
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

I grew up reading tales of what happened at Chateau Marmont and it had been a dream of mine to visit since a teenager. Staying there was on the bucket list for me. I spent a week in one of the Garden Cottages and loved my time at the hotel, other friends had told me that it can sometimes be noisy in the main hotel, but the cottages were quaint and comfortable. The cottage had a wonderful old fashioned kitchen that meant I could self cater when I wanted (not all the time, the fries were amazing on room service) and a private street entrance in addition to the entrance through the main hotel / pool area, making it feel more like home than a hotel.

The location is great, midway between the city and the beach. Unlike 99% of guests I had no car and found the buses easy to all major destinations although I also took the pleasant walk down to Beverly Hills a couple of times. You can also walk to Trader Joes (5 mins) and Whole Foods (15 mins) if you fancy and there are a couple of good pubs nearby but you'll probably want at least one drink in the bar for star spotting!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank sevendialsgirl
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I see people discussing the tourists, but it is still a hot spot for locals. I stayed at the Marmont with my two dogs for an unexpected stay. I had an enormous junior suite, complete with kitchen, living room and separate bedroom. The old school decor is chic but subdued, and you cannot get this much space for the price anywhere in Hollywood. The lobby is still very fun for meetings, drinks and people-watching, and the staff is excellent. I invited friends over to sit by the pool for the afternoon, and we had a lovely, low-key afternoon. My dogs and I felt safe and sound. I'm a local to Hollywood. Those in the know still stay at the Marmont. Have breakfast in the garden, it's gorgeous.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank zeppo33
NEW YORK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Chateau Marmont was on my hotel bucket list and I was not disappointed. Beautiful room, excellent service and amazing grounds. Breakfast at the pool should not be missed. A great experience and well worth the price!

• Stayed September 2012
Boston, MA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

One of my favorite hotels in the world has been the Chateau Marmont. I have managed to stay in just about every room at this classic, old Hollywood haunt. However, I am parting ways with the Chateau because everything I used to like about this place has been destroyed by tourists who now make this seem more like the Standard than the Chateau Marmont.

This place is usually crammed to the gills now with tourists ... many Austrailian and Brits and some Americans. It used to be a very exclusive retreat where you could count on privacy, discression and fun times. Now it is full of loud tourists wandering the halls taking pictures for facebook to tell all their friends about their stay at this Hollywood classic which is known for famous guests and no stranger to scandal.

I blame it on an overly zealous publicity department ... a culture obsessed with celebrity ... and the apparent good economy in Austrailia and England where people don't mind paying $600 for a room that looks like a bus station bathroom. All the charm is gone from this place and it seems more like Disneyland for adults. The last several times I tried to book a room they were completely sold out. When I did manage to get a room, in the past I could count on a midnight swim by myself. Now, there is a pool full of people at 2 a.m. on a Monday night.

What was once almost an inside secret is now one of Hollywood's top tourist destinations, it seems. I am moving on to a more discrete hotel with less tourist activity. This used to be my favorite place ... and if you are looking for old school Hollywood the way it was in the 1920s ... this is it. Unfotunately, now its a non-stop party that everyone is invited to providing they can pay $600 for a room. And they do. Lots of them.

Room Tip: Dont stay here so it gets less crowded!vg
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank LovinHotelLife
Athens, Greece
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Nothing wrong with the hotel it is what it is. A taste of a bygone era in Hollywood which is cool. Please do not eat there it is the most overpriced and overhyped food in West Hollywood. You will get a better meal at a cheap diner.

The service is shocking with the very good looking service staff finding it more important to stand around and chat around the outside drinks service area than serve or look after there tables.

And the food it self is very very average and flavorless. A 35 dollar steak was embarrassingly bad and the crab entree a joke. Luckily I didn't pick up the bill as I would have been really upset. Also the wine list and value is like a 15 year old has picked it!

It no secret that the food is very average at the Chateau but spend your money else where and don't eat here.

Its such a shame because with a decent Head chef they could turn this place around and make food a focus again as the venue is great. But perhaps they don't care??

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business