Chateau Marmont
Best Western Plus Sunset Plaza Hotel(West Hollywood)(Great Value!)
$289
  • Breakfast included
Sunset Tower Hotel(West Hollywood)
$395
SmithHotels.com
Petit Ermitage(West Hollywood)
$345
  • Pool
Grafton on Sunset(West Hollywood)(Great Value!)
$200
  • Restaurant
Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel(West Hollywood)(Great Value!)
$333
$226
Official Site
  • Restaurant
Chamberlain West Hollywood(West Hollywood)(Great Value!)
$256
$220
  • Restaurant
Le Parc Suite Hotel(West Hollywood)(Great Value!)
$210
  • Restaurant
Le Montrose Suite Hotel(West Hollywood)(Great Value!)
$285
$204
Official Website
$349
  • Breakfast included
Andaz West Hollywood(West Hollywood)(Great Value!)
$300
$239
Hyatt.com
  • Pool
All reviewsbar marmontthe cottageshollywood historyold schoolwalls could talkmain buildinglarge living roompeople watchingjunior suitemovie starshollywood feelfull kitchenhollywood experiencefour seasonssunset blvdlos angeleshotel bar
Reviewed August 24, 2011

My wife and I decided to spend a night at Chateau Marmont hoping that we would spend a good time in a quality hotel, and that the concierge at a well-known place like this one would help us get past the velvet ropes at some of LA's best night clubs. On both counts, and many others, we were severely disappointed.

Without exaggeration, I think it is fair to say that the personnel at Chateau Marmont is a disgrace to the rest of their profession. Service quality is well below what it should be in a hotel of this price. The reasons for this are: arrogance, lack of training, lack of organization.

Overall, we got the impression that you get treated like a second-class citizen if you're not an A-list actor, or try to look like one. Even before we arrived at the hotel, we had a very unpleasant first impression when we were greeted by a person in charge of security. Seeing that our car was "only" a Dodge Charger (which happens to be the car we rented), the guy refused to believe that we could possibly have a reservation at the hotel. He made me repeat it three times before he finally let us through. This made us feel totally unwelcome. This impression was further reinforced when, a few hours later, security tried to stop us and ask us questions before they let us in, in order to check that we were actually hotel clients.

At the restaurant in the patio, the Maitre D' wanted to sit us at a bad table near the entrance even though another one was free and we had a reservation. We had to insist so that she finally gave us this table, which gave us the impression that she was actually saving it in case someone more prestigious than ourselves (who exactly? we were staying at the hotel; if someone was to get preferential treatment is was us!).

Is this way to treat your clients worthy of a hotel where you pay at least $400 a day? In my opinion it isn't. My wife and I have stayed at quite a few 4 stars-rated hotels in Paris, Miami or London before, and the specificity of these places is that the personnel make you feel important and are at your service, not the other way round. It is clear that most of the Chateau Marmont's staff lack a basic training, and it looks as though this hotel badly needs some proper management.

One thing that bothered us in particular was that our requests were consistently ignored. To cite just one example among many, I had sent an email a few days in advance asking the concierge to book us a table at the Chateau Marmont restaurant, a table at the Bar Marmont and to put our names on the list at Teddy's. Good hotels usually offer this service, provided you're ready to tip well. When we went to the desk to sign in, it turned out that no one there had read my email, even though my email had been replied to before. The clerks at the reception looked like they thought it was completely normal that my request had been ignored and didn't even apologize. This was bad enough already, but the worst is that I had to call them no less than three times after that before they finally took action. And their response turned out to be somewhat disappointing, as they failed to land our names on the list at Teddy's and came up with an inferior backup plan (the Supper Place). At the Bar Marmont, we realized that we could easily have gotten in by ourselves without their help, as the place was far from crowded and everyone that came in, got in. If the Marmont's staff had booked us a table, at least we could have called this added value, but they didn't even achieve that. We had to stand by the bar. In short, the Marmont's staff's contribution was negligible. At one point, I asked to see the concierge in person, but they turned down my request, which makes me wonder if there was a concierge at this hotel in the first place when we stayed there.

One last word about the rooms: they are terrible. I mean, not just a bit old-fashioned, as some of the other comments might seem to suggest, but really terrible. I do agree that there may be charm in old furniture, but this was just over the top. Our room (a standard room in themain building) smelled of old cigarette. The bathroom was a joke: the sink was about to fall down, the tiles were partly broken, the bthtub was minuscule. The windows were in a very bad shape. As my wife said, this room looked very much like old communist-time Belgrade hotels she visited 4 years ago.

In short, the Chateau Marmont bets everything on the act that you sometimes get to see B or C-List actors there, while quality of service is extremely poor. If I had one piece of advice to give to fellow trevellers in order to make this review useful, it would be: have dinner at the Chateau Marmont, which has OK food and a pretty nice patio, but by all means spend the night elsewhere.

Room Tip: Room 16 is less old and creaky than other standard rooms, tips at the restaurant are already included in the bill
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
28  Thank walooriloo
Reviewed August 21, 2011

Chateau Marmont is the best hotel in the world. Stayed in the Penthouse and the staff were wonderful. Something about the relaxed atmosphere and comfort, priceless!!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank dice55
Reviewed August 13, 2011

I stayed in one of the garden bungalows with another family staying in a nearby one. I loved the old style of the place, yes the stove and the fridge are ancient but everything works well. Having your own kitchen is great and there is an organic supermarket across the road to stock up with a few things for breakfast. We had a small problem with the shower/bath tap and a plumber came within 10 mins to fix it. I agree with what another reviewer wrote, you either get it or you don't, it's not to everyone's taste but I loved it. You will see a few familiar faces roaming round but don't try taking pics, you will be pounced on by the 2 hostesses who guard the garden fiercely. One complaint is that I went to said hostesses to book a table for dinner, 9 people, and was told sorry , we're full. So as paying guest I am denied dinner? So my friend phoned from outside the hotel and was given a table immediately!! And there were at least 2 empty tables in the garden. Seems I wasn't up to their standard to be granted a table. Also if a celeb is in the gardden they will try their utmost to stop you going out, I wanted to have coffee and was told no, meanwhile my daughter sneaked a peek into the garden and Katie Holmes was having coffee so we weren't allowed out in case we disturbed her. Then they closed the doors leading to the garden. Ok we got the hint! I loved the place, the atmosphere, can't understand why other people say it was dirty, what rubbish. If you want 21st century glitz with marble bathrooms etc then it is not for you. Only complaint is that they shouldn't discriminate between paying guests and B listers, our money is all the same colour. Yes I would go back tho, loved the place.

Room Tip: garden bungalows are beautiful, secluded amongst lush plants.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank karen t
Reviewed August 1, 2011

We had a wonderful stay at "The Marmont" celebrating my B-day and our wedding anniversary. It had a very secluded feel, even though I know the property was fully booked both nights of our stay - we did not see a lot of people hanging around. Our standard room was extremely charming - with soft Jazz playing in the room the moment we arrived. It overlooked the Terrace restaurant outside and although we did not eat there, we were able to see the patrons come and go - sorry to say no celebs were spotted! I spent some time at the lush, secluded pool, very relaxing. There's also a ping pong table near the pool - fun for a quick game. This property is historic and perfect for getting away from the hustle and bustle of L.A. - if you want flash and glamour - go elsewhere. I had a terrific time. Was it worth it once - of course! Would I come again? For the price we paid - probably not.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank siouxsiesoo
Reviewed July 31, 2011

Staying at the Chateau Marmont is an experience I will remember for ever. We didn't really know what to expect but we were nothing short of very very impressed and very very happy with our two-night stay.

Not knowing how big or small the standard rooms are, we spent a bit more to get a Junior Suite. Well, I now know how people can live at the Chateau for months because the Jnr Suite is big enough to live in very comfortably - there's a queen-size bed, living room area, dining room, eat-in kitchen, bathroom and four wardrobes. More than enough for us but we weren't complaining.

We decided to make the most of our stay by dining at the Terrace restaurant both nights, as well as breakfast and lunch by the pool.

The restaurant is just divine. The service and food are fabulous and in terms of rubbing shoulders with the Hollywood set, we weren't disappointed.

My friend and I were so upset to have to check-out... we've vowed to return in a few years' time. In the meantime, the Chateau will live on on my memory for a long time to come...

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends