Lowest prices for your stay
Hotels.com
Get rewarded with One Key
Priceline
Go to your Happy Price
Get rewarded with One Key
All reviews full kitchen washer dryer hidden gem private patio off street parking central garden private parking melrose avenue modern amenities living room bygone era los angeles sun deck sized bed large bedroom an enjoyable stay home away from home
Selected filters
Reviewed January 1, 2017

I thought The Charlie was a real hidden gem and centrally located. (Well hidden enough to get confused finding it!)

The Charlie is actually a series of tight-knit bungalows, that are really charm-filled and unique and not at all what I'd expect in LA. I actually did picture myself escaping to this place one day and just parking it for a month or so.

The gardens are well tended, parking is provided and the place is fully furnished. I def look forward to making a trip back!

Date of stay: October 2016
1  Thank Joseph D
Masha T, Manager at The Charlie, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2017

Dear Joseph D,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review! We are thrilled to hear your stay with was delightful! We do hope you will return to us soon and very much look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed December 21, 2016

The Charlie is as I have called it, a perceived Garden of Eden &/an oasis.
In the middle of a busy city sits a comfortable garden with waterfalls.
The accommodations have recaptured the nostalgia for the glamour of former Hollywood Stars yet in a modern meticulous setting. The Owners were personable and considerate. When engaged in conversation the maintenance staff was friendly and helpful.

Date of stay: November 2016
Trip type: Traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank heddam768
Masha T, Manager at The Charlie, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2016

Dear heddam768,

Thank you for your wonderful review! We are thrilled to hear you've enjoyed your recent stay with us at The Charlie! We are delighted that you found both the owners and the staff to be welcoming and courteous. I will pass on your great comments to the rest of the team! We hope to see you again in the very near future!

Reviewed November 16, 2016

We stayed at the Charlie in early September and this was really a great find. The rooms are actually a series of small houses in a personal compound right off of Melrose Avenue. It is as if you have stepped back into the 1920's Hollywood era bungalow scene yet in a contemporary and fully charming way. We stayed in the Marilyn, which had been a temporary home for Marilyn Monroe in the 40's. Perfect for a couple, though plenty of room if you had another person along. I loved the intimacy of the space, the lovely bathroom (and powder room), and the lovely kitchen. The staff was pleasant and kind and gave us suggestions for dinner. There were many options too within walking (including Lucques, and others). I loved this setting and the atmosphere and will stay here again in the future. It was wonderful!!

Room tip: The Marilyn was wonderful but I believe all the guest rooms are great. Beautiful courtyards so you can enjoy the outside as well.
Date of stay: September 2016
2  Thank Michele H
Masha T, Manager at The Charlie, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2016

Dear Manymiles2010,

Thank you for your raving review! We are so pleased to hear that you've enjoyed your recent stay with us at The Charlie! It was so wonderful meeting you, and I'm so glad you found some of the near-by dinner suggestions to be helpful! Our Marilyn cottage is delightful, and we are pleased to hear that you found the space to be both well-appointed and intimate, with everything you needed! We very much hope to welcome you back again in the very near future!

Reviewed October 26, 2016

Firstly I'd like to start with the nightmare check in and then go for the Pros. I booked the trip about a year before I arrived so it was no surprise that we we're coming, and Check in instructions we're emailed after the office had already closed for it's 2 hour check in window, but that still wasn't the worst part. There was a number to call for both Chris and Sarah, neither of which answered the phone at about 8-9PM but then I somehow managed to get through the gate after the housekeeping lady just telling me to keep trying. After which she saw me try 3-4 more times and eventually called them for me and on the second attempt she got through and Chris gave me the instructions to get my key and then went. This left me then without any clue where Sasha was and after 20 mins of walking around looking at every door I asked the housekeeping lady again for help and she also had no clue where it was (maybe a sign post would be helpful) so I tried calling .. no answer and no surprise so again the housekeeping lady called and got through and Sarah this time helped me find the room... as I said nightmare after a 6 hour drive back from Yosemite just what we needed.

Although that wasn't the best start the room was nice and quirky as expected with an historic building and really quiet and quite comfortable. Plenty of ants roaming around in Sasha though and the bathroom looks like it could do with a refresh for a luxury pad in West Hollywood, you shouldn't be able to see black marks on the grout and a few bits of corrosion on the taps and shower.

Have to admit though it wasn't as bad as this review seems, we slept well washed our clothes and after the check-in fiasco it was a pleasant stay, and the staff in the morning we're really apologetic and wished us a friendly adios and enjoyed me babbling on about our tour of California before arriving. Location wise it's peaceful and close to some great comedy clubs in West Hollywood and the shopping speaks for itself, so if that's what you're after in a luxury pad with a bit of history you won't get anywhere else drop in at The Charlie there's some fantastic history here and the rooms are kitted out well enough to give you some historical entertainment.

Room tip: Check in on time and book early this place can get pricey as demand is high
Date of stay: October 2016
1  Thank KaneNim
Masha T, Manager at The Charlie, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2016

Dear KaneNim,

Thank you for your detailed feedback. I would foremost like to apologize for the poor check-in process you've experienced. We, very unfortunately, had an unexpected family tragedy to deal with, which overlapped with your stay at The Charlie. Given that The Charlie is a family-run business, Chris and Sarah stepped up to help our establishment with limited training, nonetheless assisting us as best as they could on short notice! Our check-in process is typically very smooth, and the managers on-call, always do answer their phones. I'm pleased to hear all worked out well in the end, and that you've got to appreciate the preservation of our historic gem, our hotel's superb location, as well as our room decor! We hope you enjoyed the rest of your trip around California and we hope for your soon return to The Charlie!

Reviewed October 18, 2016

spent 5 nights here at the end of a 6 week USA visit, read the reviews, preferring boutique style accommodation, and thought it would suit. Good location, can walk to Santa Monica BLVD, and Melrose Ave with places to eat / shop incl supermarket Parking included onsite.
Stayed in Betty, x1 flight of stairs, so no lift, if you are concerned re access. Sitting room with kitchen area a good size, aircon good, bedroom ok, bed comfy, wardrobe and drawers sufficient, bathroom neat, could do with lino floor replaced, but kept clean. The room is fairly well kept, but the sofa and rug both need a makeover. Unfortunately the kitchen was lacking in many items, no coffee pot for the maker, only 1 small red wine type glass, and 1 white wine type glass were available, no others, or any in the bathroom. We didn't cook, but did bring back nibbles, again cutlery was in short supply. I did ask at reception, we were given 1 tumbler ! Then on the second to last day, said missing supplies were delivered. These areas need to be better. The washer and dryer came in handy, they supply one sachet powder (to pay for), large fridge / freezer for drinks etc. There was some degree of tidying up going on when we were there.....grounds, evidence new mattresses etc. There is a balcony / lounges to sit and relax outdoors, or their garden area.
would stay again

Room tip: depends on if you want ground, or 1st floor, and what size you need. Betty was big enough for 2, but no more
Date of stay: September 2016
3  Thank ammark57

Dear ammark57,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for your detailed feedback. Yes indeed, our great location and neighborhood are just a few reasons guests love to stay with us! We are glad to hear you found your suite to be comfortable and spacious! The Betty has some of my favorite garden views! We are sorry to hear your kitchen was lacking on glassware--this is strange, as all suites are supplied with a standardized number of items. The ensuite dishwashers are wonderful, but do take a bit longer even on the quickest cycle. Perhaps the missing items were still in there. Either way, please do let us know next time you are planning to visit us and we will of course ensure everything is properly stocked! We look forward to your soon return!