Lowest prices for your stay
Hotels.com
Get rewarded with One Key
Get rewarded with One Key
Priceline
Go to your Happy Price
All reviews full kitchen washer dryer hidden gem private patio off street parking central garden private parking melrose avenue modern amenities living room bygone era los angeles sun deck sized bed large bedroom an enjoyable stay home away from home
Selected filters
Reviewed October 26, 2016

Firstly I'd like to start with the nightmare check in and then go for the Pros. I booked the trip about a year before I arrived so it was no surprise that we we're coming, and Check in instructions we're emailed after the office had already closed for it's 2 hour check in window, but that still wasn't the worst part. There was a number to call for both Chris and Sarah, neither of which answered the phone at about 8-9PM but then I somehow managed to get through the gate after the housekeeping lady just telling me to keep trying. After which she saw me try 3-4 more times and eventually called them for me and on the second attempt she got through and Chris gave me the instructions to get my key and then went. This left me then without any clue where Sasha was and after 20 mins of walking around looking at every door I asked the housekeeping lady again for help and she also had no clue where it was (maybe a sign post would be helpful) so I tried calling .. no answer and no surprise so again the housekeeping lady called and got through and Sarah this time helped me find the room... as I said nightmare after a 6 hour drive back from Yosemite just what we needed.

Although that wasn't the best start the room was nice and quirky as expected with an historic building and really quiet and quite comfortable. Plenty of ants roaming around in Sasha though and the bathroom looks like it could do with a refresh for a luxury pad in West Hollywood, you shouldn't be able to see black marks on the grout and a few bits of corrosion on the taps and shower.

Have to admit though it wasn't as bad as this review seems, we slept well washed our clothes and after the check-in fiasco it was a pleasant stay, and the staff in the morning we're really apologetic and wished us a friendly adios and enjoyed me babbling on about our tour of California before arriving. Location wise it's peaceful and close to some great comedy clubs in West Hollywood and the shopping speaks for itself, so if that's what you're after in a luxury pad with a bit of history you won't get anywhere else drop in at The Charlie there's some fantastic history here and the rooms are kitted out well enough to give you some historical entertainment.

Room tip: Check in on time and book early this place can get pricey as demand is high
Date of stay: October 2016
1  Thank KaneNim
Masha T, Manager at The Charlie, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2016

Dear KaneNim,

Thank you for your detailed feedback. I would foremost like to apologize for the poor check-in process you've experienced. We, very unfortunately, had an unexpected family tragedy to deal with, which overlapped with your stay at The Charlie. Given that The Charlie is a family-run business, Chris and Sarah stepped up to help our establishment with limited training, nonetheless assisting us as best as they could on short notice! Our check-in process is typically very smooth, and the managers on-call, always do answer their phones. I'm pleased to hear all worked out well in the end, and that you've got to appreciate the preservation of our historic gem, our hotel's superb location, as well as our room decor! We hope you enjoyed the rest of your trip around California and we hope for your soon return to The Charlie!

Reviewed October 18, 2016

spent 5 nights here at the end of a 6 week USA visit, read the reviews, preferring boutique style accommodation, and thought it would suit. Good location, can walk to Santa Monica BLVD, and Melrose Ave with places to eat / shop incl supermarket Parking included onsite.
Stayed in Betty, x1 flight of stairs, so no lift, if you are concerned re access. Sitting room with kitchen area a good size, aircon good, bedroom ok, bed comfy, wardrobe and drawers sufficient, bathroom neat, could do with lino floor replaced, but kept clean. The room is fairly well kept, but the sofa and rug both need a makeover. Unfortunately the kitchen was lacking in many items, no coffee pot for the maker, only 1 small red wine type glass, and 1 white wine type glass were available, no others, or any in the bathroom. We didn't cook, but did bring back nibbles, again cutlery was in short supply. I did ask at reception, we were given 1 tumbler ! Then on the second to last day, said missing supplies were delivered. These areas need to be better. The washer and dryer came in handy, they supply one sachet powder (to pay for), large fridge / freezer for drinks etc. There was some degree of tidying up going on when we were there.....grounds, evidence new mattresses etc. There is a balcony / lounges to sit and relax outdoors, or their garden area.
would stay again

Room tip: depends on if you want ground, or 1st floor, and what size you need. Betty was big enough for 2, but no more
Date of stay: September 2016
3  Thank ammark57

Dear ammark57,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for your detailed feedback. Yes indeed, our great location and neighborhood are just a few reasons guests love to stay with us! We are glad to hear you found your suite to be comfortable and spacious! The Betty has some of my favorite garden views! We are sorry to hear your kitchen was lacking on glassware--this is strange, as all suites are supplied with a standardized number of items. The ensuite dishwashers are wonderful, but do take a bit longer even on the quickest cycle. Perhaps the missing items were still in there. Either way, please do let us know next time you are planning to visit us and we will of course ensure everything is properly stocked! We look forward to your soon return!

Reviewed August 31, 2016 via mobile

Sooo much better than hotels in beverly hills. I love this place. Very roomy and a lovely charming individuality in each suite. Why would you stay in a hotel when you could stay here? All the rooms are great and its on a private and quiet street.

Date of stay: August 2016
Trip type: Traveled on business
1  Thank MostJean
Masha T, Manager at The Charlie, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2016

Dear JeanMostyn,

Thank you very much for your great feedback in regards to your recent stay with us at The Charlie! We are thrilled to hear that you found our establishment to be exceptional, and we take pride in providing a memorable experience for our guests. We look forward to welcoming you back again, hopefully in the very near future!

Reviewed August 25, 2016

The West Hollywood location is good, and the people that work here are very nice. Free parking when you book through the website.The place is charming, but they really need to address the housekeeping issues. I noticed that the kitchen appliances could have used a better cleaning, the glasses had spots, and worst of all - the shower was not properly cleaned or maintained.

The shower head had pink slime and hard water stains (see pic), and it shot water out the side. In addition, there was black, stained grout in several areas of the shower (see pic). I feel that these problems should have been addressed. If they do any kind of inspections of the property, they would notice some of the obvious maintenance issues. The bathroom light was connected to an insanely loud fan that went higher and lower in noise volume. Overall, the lighting was too dim, and there were some switches that did nothing.

The Kleenex and toiletries are not very high quality, and there was no hand soap provided for the half bath downstairs or the kitchen. Oddly, there was a bottle of lotion in the half bath, not soap. I ended up buying cleaner to take a stab at the shower head so I wouldn't be so grossed out. I removed most of the pink slime, but the water stains were staying. I elected to avoid maid service during my stay. Why would I want this housekeeper to come by?

The painted floors may have been the reason for the terrible squeaky noise when you walked around. It happened to both of us.

The bed was hard as a rock, like the hardest bed I've ever encountered, but it slept well. However, on our last night someone made a lot of noise in the room above us. It sounded like they were repeatedly moving a rolling luggage around the room. So loud. Other than that, it was quiet.

While I liked the location and felt this was a fairly good value, I would hesitate to stay again because of the maintenance and housekeeping issues. How much effort does it really take to replace a shower head and clean the grout? These are not cheap rooms, and I would expect a higher attention to detail.

Date of stay: August 2016
3  Thank moonslice

Dear moonslice,

Thank you for your detailed feedback. We value your opinion and apologize that your experience with us did not live up to your expectations. We are pleased to hear our staff was friendly and that you took advantage of making the booking directly through our website in order to receive the complimentary parking. The kitchens indeed are supplied with glassware and typical water stains from the in-room dishwasher are not uncommon. Thank you for bringing attention to the grout in the bathroom--this of course has been resolved, and we encourage guests to approach management directly with any concerns, so that we may address them in a timely manner. We are pleased to hear that you had a restful night on the newly-replaced mattress, and we hope to be of service to you again in the near future.

Reviewed August 24, 2016

Very relaxing and beautiful experience. Very clean and tranquil. Very well appointed. Staff friendly and accommodating. There was a balcony and parking could be found close by. No dining options but there is a kitchen in each unit.

Room tip: Apartment style. Perfect for a home away from home feeling and if you want to be in West Hollywood.
Date of stay: June 2016
1  Thank Brett G
Masha T, Manager at The Charlie, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2016

Dear Brett G,

Thank you for your review! We are delighted to hear your experience at The Charlie was wonderful, and we hope to see you again in the very near future!