Lowest prices for your stay
$349
No prepayment needed
$349
Hotels.com
All reviews full kitchen washer dryer hidden gem private patio off street parking central garden private parking melrose avenue modern amenities living room bygone era los angeles sun deck sized bed large bedroom an enjoyable stay home away from home
Selected filters
Reviewed July 12, 2016

The good folks at The Charlie upgraded my wife and me to a two story bungalow with a full kitchen and French windows that opened up to roses and the sound of water trickling down fountains. The place was so nice we made dinner and enjoyed it rather than slip out to a night of debauchery on Melrose Ave. The sounds of city LA disappeared once inside the grounds of The Charlie. We stayed two nights and we have talked about it for many more. Our only wish was that they provide something complimentary to their guests other than a package of tea. Perhaps high tea at 3:30 or a cocktail gathering at 5 so guests could share their joy of the privilege of their stay at The Charlie. This came up because later in our journey we stayed at a place not so nice but boy did they provide a lot of complimentary items, such as a happy hour with free drinks where patrons, who were not so proud of where they were staying, could get in a better mood about their station in life, and the room was a fifth of the cost of The Charlie. This, however, is a small marketing footnote to an otherwise wonderful chapter called "Our Stay at The Charlie."

Date of stay: June 2016
Masha T, Manager at The Charlie, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2016

Dearr holt2324,

Thank you for your review of The Charlie! We are thrilled you've enjoyed your stay with us, and found our establishment to be both charming and peaceful! We do offer many complimentary perks for guests who book directly with us or through our website, including complimentary parking, complimentary early check-in (when available), complimentary upgrade (when available), guaranteed complimentary late check-out (1pm), and a complimentary welcome gift :) We are always open to further suggestions and will definitely consider your input! We hope to see you again at The Charlie in the very near future!

Reviewed July 5, 2016

I love this place. Great location. Loaded with charm. Nothing like generic, boring hotel chains. In fact, this ranks in the top five of places I have stayed all over the world. However. For 600. night, I really felt they could spring for a box of Kleenex (found in Motel 6). Perhaps napkins and paper towels in the luxury kitchen (!) a packet of gratis coffee to go with the coffee maker! They presume people who travel to a luxury property have these things in their suitcase?! These simple little touches are needed in a place of this caliber.

Room tip: We loved the location of The Ruth. All the bungalows looked charming in this carefully designed property.
Date of stay: July 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank Judydub

Dear Judydub,

Thank you for your praise of our little gem here! We do offer Kleenex in all rooms, and this must have been an oversight on the part of the housekeepers. We encourage guests to bring anything that's missing to our attention, and we'll be more than happy to assist! Although we do not provide paper towels, given that we strive to be a green hotel, we do supply kitchen towels as a replacement! We hope that I have addressed your concerns, and we hope to see you again in the near future!

Reviewed June 28, 2016

This place was Awesome!! It's like a cool little apartment with full kitchen, living room, bathroom and bedroom along with washer and dryer in case you need to do laundry. So clean and neat and decorated so cool! Thurston and I loved this place.WE had a wonderful overnight stay. Can't wait to go again for longer

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple

Dear I4896QXmelissaa,

Thank you for your wonderful review! We are thrilled to hear you had an "Awesome" stay with us at The Charlie and that you found our facilities to your liking! We hope to be of service to you again in the very near future and yes, perhaps next time for a longer stay!

Reviewed June 27, 2016

We got a room here last minute. Upon arriving they switched us to another room than we were scheduled for because ours wasn't ready. This was nice of them to do. I was told that the room was hot because the air conditioning was off but that it would catch up soon. After a few hours, The thermostat still read 82 degrees. I called the on call number and she said that since it had dropped a couple of degrees it was working and should be fine.

We left the hotel to go to Santa Monica. When we returned the thermostat was 79, so we thought we might be okay for the night. At 2am we wake up to a room that is some how now 81 degrees, no cooler than it is outside.

When I approached the manager the next morning, I asked for some kind of discount since the air conditioning didn't work all night. The response was why didn't we call at 2am. First, we had already tried to call before and they were in denial. Secondly, what good would it do to try and fix the AC or move rooms at 2am. Because $200 was already discounted as a last minute deal we received no other discount. Had I known this would be the case I would have stayed in one of the many other hotels under $200 where the AC works appropriately.

I also called booking.com and apparently they do nothing for selling you a room with no AC. I was in one other situation several years ago where the AC went out in a hotel in NC. Without even asking I was given a full refund for the night. I understand this stuff happens, but some accommodation should be made to the guest for their discomfort. For $200 you expect a good nights sleep and that is not what we got.

Room tip: make sure the room is very cool before you agree to stay there
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
3  Thank Jonathan S

Dear Jonathan S,

Thank you for your review of The Charlie. It seems that the air-conditioning was indeed working, given that the temperature outside during your stay with us was close to 100 degrees. We encourage guests to always keep all windows and doors closed, so that the air conditioning is able to do its job at a quicker pace. We always do have a manager on-call, and we are here for our guests no matter the time of day or night. If there is ever an issue with the AC overnight, and we have availability (which we did), we will always move a guest to a different suite. We hope you will consider us again in the near future, and we reassure you that the AC will properly be working, as we constantly maintain them.

Reviewed June 18, 2016

I had the need to for hotel in LA two nights a week for at least 6 months. Saw the Charlie. Dylan and the team could not have been more helpful. This place is awesome. Quiet, full of character and in easy walking distance of everything be it clubs, grocery stores or restaurants. An awesome find.

• Trip type: Traveled on business

Dear challren,

Thank you for your great review of The Charlie! We are very pleased to hear that you found our location to be central to all that Los Angeles has to offer! I will pass on your kind comments to Dylan and the rest of the team, and we hope to be of service to you again in the near future!