“What a place”
Review of The Charlie

The Charlie
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Love staying at 'The Charlie' better than a motel. We stayed with our friends in a two bedroom (Valentino room) just done Route 66 and what a place to seat back and relax. Next time in Los Angles will stay at the Charlie. Telling our friends about this place

Room Tip: Love it rooms great
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Masha T, Manager at The Charlie, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2014

Thank you for your review John!

We are pleased to hear you've enjoyed your stay with us at The Charlie! And thank you for referring us to your friends--word of mouth is our primary marketing tool!

We look forward to having you back with us at The Charlie during your next trip to Los Angeles!

Reviewed April 18, 2013

PHENOMENAL! - The only word to describe my experience at "The Charming Charlie!" I love staying at hidden jems off the beaten path and The Charlie is just that AND MORE! From the private patio to the comfy, yet well-appointed bungalow.....and the rose-lined stone paths to the inviting and personable staff, this oasis left me wanting to just cuddle up and make this my home! ...centrally located to dining, shopping, sight-seeing....the only question remaining is, "when can I move in?"

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank MDM1989

Thank you for your review MDM1989!

We are pleased to hear you've enjoyed your recent stay with us! And we hope to see you at The Charlie during your next trip to Los Angeles!

Reviewed April 6, 2013

Yes, they are dog friendly, but they also charge $100 fee- not a deposit, just fee. Have never encountered anything close to that, and for sure I think guests should be notified in advance. I did call ahead and left a message indicating I would be bringing a dog, but no one contacted me to tell me their pet fee.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank 32810Gew

Thank you for your review 32810Gew!

We are pet-friendly, but we do charge a non-refundable $100 fee per stay (for stays under 1 week). This is a very reasonable charge and compares to other neighboring pet-friendly West Hollywood hotels.

We hope you choose The Charlie during your next trip to LA!

Reviewed February 21, 2013

perfect location and a bargain for what you get. Just for balance, the downside: firstly, spiders and ants are beneficials and I would not approve regular spraying with toxic chemicals to suit Tastebuds 14 or any other visiting complaint. However, the parking spaces are tight (just have to be careful), the hot water does take a few minutes to come on, it would be nice if they had a breakfast option (maybe croissants and tea in a basket), and a couple of bath-robes in the closet. But it is a delightful, quaint, and special spot, well worth the price. And West Hollywood is the best part of LA.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Conrad S
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Just by accident and certainly fate I found the Charlie in west Hollywood.
It was such a joy to walk into this little paradise behind a simple wooden garage door.
Masha greeted me outside and literally guided me into my parking space and walked me up to the
Most gorgeous and charming 2 story apartment it felt liked was in Paris.
Every need, every question, was answered in minutes.
I love the bathroom with the huge, immaculate showers and the patios belong in an Audrey Hepburn movie.
What I love most of all was coming home from the madness that is Los Angeles and stepping into a quiet, perfect world that you only find at The Charlie.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Chantal W
Reviewed January 31, 2013

UNACCEPTABLE ACCOMMODATIONS! I stayed in The Gregory and found the place infested with bugs. I made the owners and management aware and they said they would look into it. Nothing was done! After finding black ants walking across my sheets, ants in the kitchen and bathroom and killing 4 spiders I quickly packed my bags and left after a few days. I had originally planned on staying 2 months. My deposit was NOT returned. They were very unconcerned! I found out a few weeks later the same thing happened to another guest.

Room Tip: Find another hotel!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
9  Thank Tastebuds14
Masha T, Manager at The Charlie, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

The Charlie has never had a bug “infestation,” and it is absurd to make such an accusation. Any hotel “infested” with bugs would simply not be able to successfully operate. We average 90% occupancy year-round with 60%+ of our clients being returning guests. Our establishment is amidst lush greenery, and although it is possible for an insect to get into a suite, never has a case arisen where this has become an out-of-hand issue.

The Charlie management will always follow up with any guest-relevant issues in a timely manner. However, if and when our staff attempts to investigate the issue, the guest must be flexible and let us into his/her suite to further investigate, especially if this is a pressing matter. Should the guest happen to turn management away several times [due to inconvenience], the guest suppresses our staff’s ability to assist in resolving the issue.

When a guest reserves a suite several months ahead and for an extended period of time, The Charlie reserves the right to take down a deposit. And although the deposit taken is very minimal in comparison to the losses we face should a client happen to change his/her mind, it is necessary to collect as we block the room off from any other perspective clients. Policies might vary, but are clearly stated both in verbal and written terms at the time of the booking.

We, at The Charlie, pride ourselves on the personal relationships we build with our clients. We do our best to cater to each client’s need and accommodate their every request. We strive to provide the best service, and create a comfortable home-away-from-home.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

The Charlie is a boutique/B+B hybrid in an unassuming part of West Hollywood within an easy stroll to great food and shopping. Free off street parking, too. The staff are very pleasant and accommodating, quick with assistance or suggestions as needed. We stayed in the Ruth and found the apartment quaint, relaxing and nicely furnished with an updated kitchen and bathrooms.
Our only criticism regards the appointments. For such an upscale property we found some of the basics absent. There were no facial tissues anywhere in the apartment, nor towels (paper or cloth) in the kitchen. There is a tea kettle and coffee maker but no tea or coffee in the room. We did find a store a short walk away and were able to stock our room for our stay but as frequent travelers (1-2 trips per month) we come to expect these things even in the most inexpensive hotel rooms.
The gardens or deck are wonderful places to sit and read while enjoying your coffee in the morning or sipping a cocktail in the evening. The Charlie is a charming and relaxing trip back to the Golden Age of Hollywood and we will definitely return.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple