“Better than expected...”

GreenLeadersBronze level
A TripAdvisor Member
“Better than expected...”
Reviewed July 10, 2006

Yes this hotel did have some faults, although after reading some reviews they appeared minor. The hotel does have slightly dated bathrooms, but more importantly they're clean and functioning and a decent size. The rooms definitely need an upgrade and this is coming by the autumn. However, I stayed here with a friend from the UK whilst travelling America, and it definitely matched our requirements. If you're travelling here for business, pick a dull boring, predictable hotel like a Meridien, or Hilton etc. However, if you're looking for something a little unusual with a nice social scene, and a great pool area then look no further. The rooms were well cleaned and all the staff were amazingly friendly and useful! If you're young, up for some fun, and not boring and dull then this hotel is for you.

• Stayed July 2006
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (442)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 12, 2006

I beleive in experiencing places for yourself, based on not everyone having exactly the same standards and for this reason tried to ignore previous posts... how I wish I had listened!!( and stayed at the Hyatt opposite)
I am a seasoned traveller - travelling every 6 weeks & used to 5 star, and being in the fashion industry require high aesthetic value.
My Oh My...
Hotel Location Great
Hotel veiw - great
Sky Bar - interesting if hanging out with wannabees is your thing!
Rooms,- at best student Dorm accomodation - Shabby & Cheap. Wood Chip painted gloss walls.painted blue wooden tables that would be found it discounter stores,
Shabby Grey( should be white) and worn sheets draped over chairs to look Zen, but looked like painting sheets .
In Built wardrobe -was hole in the wall with doors hanging off and a mis Match of other peoples left over hangers.
bathroom - plastic everything - no walk in shower - no "touches"
Very poor lighting
Doors to rooms with inch gaps around them - looked like they had been broken into
Ikea rugs to hide grubby white carpets
in room amenities a joke. I had a junior suite - so I only can guess how awful the standard rooms are!
Hotel security non existant except Friday night :bouncer: by elevator
Value for money 2/10
Hotel star rating 2
In short - felt I had to "do" it but definately wont be going back and would challenge anyone to agree this is a Luxury Class hotel.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
8 Thank perfectionista
Washington, DC
Reviewed May 20, 2006

Usually when I go to LA for business I stay at the Century Plaza, but this time my colleagues opted for the Mondrian, so I joined them.

It's definitely a FUN place to stay, if you don't mind a little noise. My room was facing the pool, so I went to sleep to the sounds of people drinking at the Sky Bar. But it was faint enough that it didn't keep me awake, and during the day, the light and view was fabulous.

Everything was clean, although the bathrooms are getting a bit worn down. But the staff was incredibly nice, and the airport is a very easy drive away. My only complaint, really, is that there is no visible sign from the street, so I drove by it three times (with my GPS telling me "I have arrived" over and over -- news to me!). Oh, and when you check in, if you want Internet service, make sure you tell them -- you need a log-in and password to access their wireless.

The hotel restaurant food is incredible, and if you feel like getting out, Mel's Drive-Thru (from American Gigalo) is two blocks away, and the food there is great if you like diner food (which I do). And I can't say enough about the Sky Bar -- it was a fun place to hang out, and we enjoyed the drinks.

I guess I'm still partial to the Century Plaza for this kind of stay since it is calmer (really what I need when I'm traveling for business) but I'd definitely stay here again ... and especially on a leisure trip.

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business
3 Thank krystynlo
miami
Reviewed May 14, 2006

this hotel needs to decide if it desires to be a hotel or a disco.Had problems getting to the sky bar due to private party,the day we where able to do so service was poor.We were told the remaining tables where resrved but no one in sight for them.We were finally given a table after we insisted and informed the lady we were guests in the hotel.Rooms were large but the carpet was dirty,and they charge for everything including the water right next to your bed.The lobby has a young noisy crowd every night,no place in the hotel were you can have some degree of privacy other than your room and this faced a street and was noisy at night due to the house of blues next door.the service from the conciege was good as was the front desk and theparking valet i of the hotel..

• Stayed May 2006
7 Thank J F
Rumson, New Jersey
Reviewed May 8, 2006

I type this from my room on my last night as I've decided to leave early and go to a nice hotel, which would be a nice change. I stayed here for Skybar and I've had a good time there in the past and the views are great. I was able to endure the cruddy, aging and noisy room and smelly hallways but when I arrived back in the room tonight there was a note under the door that the Skybar would be closed for a private party the one nice weather night of my stay and also the one night I was saving to go there.

I called and said I'd like to check out early and I was told there's an early checkout fee of $50. I explained my reason for wanting to leave but still the 50. I figure it's a cheap price for a lesson learned and I'll pay it to get out of here. The real kicker is that I opened my room safe and there is a good $300 in cash missing, nothing else touched. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about that one yet but this is an all time bad stay. Every other place I've stayed in LA was spectacular in comparison.

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business
8 Thank t3chi3
Japan
Reviewed April 28, 2006

We live in Tokyo and stayed here for one night before heading to Santa Barbara and New prt Beach. I wanted to find somewhere in LA which summed up the place and I think the Mondrian in Hollywood does it perfectly.

The hotel is very hip, has an excellent night club, looked like a great restaraunt (did not eat there), pool was nice the staff were very helpful, room service was spot on. Yep, the room does need upgrading but for us it was great, decked out in white it was very cool and made a nice change from what we are used too at stiff 5 star hotels. The bathroom is shabby but I did not come here to spend hours in the shower.

We came to LA for a night out and to return somewhere trendy and I thought this place was perfect. If I was here on business I would not stay and if I was with a family I would not stay here either. Not that it was noisy, we had a corner room with surrounding windows (great views) and slept without a problem.

Overall......if you want to enjoy LA for what it is.......stay here. Don’t stay here if your looking for something more normal and relaxed.

• Stayed April 2006
6 Thank gary14
London England
Reviewed March 30, 2006

1. We had something stolen from our room. It was eventually returned without an apology.

2. The in-room costs are beyond excessive - you have to pay for everything, including things like coffee, milk..(!) Phone calls are the worst I've ever seen

3. Couldn't get in the sky bar with practically no notice becase of a 'private party' -we had invited guests round that night so it was kind of embarassing

4. Room service was slow and had to be returned on several occassions for either being wrong or awful

5. Considering the cost wish I'd booked into a mud hut it would have been on par

• Stayed March 2006, traveled on business