“Great stay at the Mondrian!”

Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel
Ranked #11 of 19 Hotels in West Hollywood
GreenLeadersBronze level
Montreal, Canada
“Great stay at the Mondrian!”
Reviewed November 25, 2009

Cleanliness: 5
Service: 5
Amenities: 5
Food: 5
I recently stayed at the Mondrian for business, with several colleagues and we all celebrated our birthdays together.
- The valet team was amazing, always very prompt and very friendly. The 'welcome back' when they opened your car door was a nice touch.
- The front desk team was very pleasant and check-in was a breeze. They explained where you could find everything, what was available and asked if you needed anything else
- The bell team was also very helpful, ensuring you were happy with your room before departing and giving you instructions on where to find things, if needed
- The concierge was very helpful in suggesting places to eat when necessary and had a good amount of pull in getting you into hot spots
The lobby is very nice. Sparsely decorated and clean with white and pale wood.
The elevators come quickly and have an indicator to let you know what floor they're on, so you know how long you will be waiting, at night with the bar scene in the lobby and in Sky Bar outside, there is security to keep riffraff from travelling up to the rooms, very much appreciated!
The hallways on the guest floors are quite dark, very common in the new boutique-style hotels, but not too dark to find your key, which is perfect. There is a strange set-up just outside the elevator of a television screen and a single chair, which mostly served a purpose for people's room service trays, but it didn't bother me.
I was fortunate enough to stay in a suite, and was very impressed. I had a view facing Sunset blvd and in the distance I could see the LA skyline (through the smog). The room was immaculate and very bright; the white and pale wood decor was extended to the rooms with a touch of black and orange.
The TV is concealed within a large 2-sided swivelling mirror in the centre of the room, allowing you to tilt it to where you want it, the bed or the living room. Excellent move. It was also a very nice touch to have the TV concealed so it isn't an eyesore.
The washroom is fantastic. My favourite feature was the shower which had a glass wall overlooking the rest of the room and the windows. You had the option to conceal it, or open it up and enjoy either the view or the TV.

The mirror over the sink lacked a bright light, but we were provided with a small vanity area to apply make-up, etc. Excellent choice as well.
The closet area is spacious with a good space for your bag or shorter hanging items. I had enough hangers and shelves for everything. My only comment would be that there was nothing to hang the ironing board and it took up precious space on the floor.
The in-room bar is well appointed and the prices aren't too offensive. You're provided with nice glassware and a bottle opener in case you need it. You also have a small bar sink, which is very helpful.
The portable telephone is good, although occasionally it was tough to answer because the buttons were very sensitive. The wake-up call was always dead on time.
You are also given a desk which looks out the windows and a Bose iPod player, which is perfect. Unfortunately, it's not close to the bed, so it's slightly inconvenient if you want to use your iPod as an alarm, but it did the job nonetheless.
The bed is very soft and the linens are crisp. The couch is also very soft and has plenty of pillows to lounge on. I also believe, should you have a guest, it would be suitable as a bed.
Asia de Cuba is a very good restaurant. We took the server's suggestions for our meal and it was quite delicious. The view is fantastic and the atmosphere is young and trendy.
Skybar was only busy the Saturday we were there, and then it was very busy even though the weather was not really very warm. There are heat lamps to keep you warm and plenty of seating on "beds" around the (small) pool and in the bar area there is only seating if you pay for bottle service.
The drinks are pricey, depending on how you tip they run about $20, but they're strong and the service is fast. The line up for the bathroom is ridiculous, so if you're a hotel guest I suggest going into the hotel lobby.
The music was quite good, lots of 90's hits and non-stop MJ tracks. The crowd is fairly mixed...there were many young people plus I saw an Orville Redenbacher look-alike, so oddly varied.
The gym was very small and often very busy...you are in California, afterall. It was even a touch too small, though very convenient.
One thing I found slightly cheap is that the wifi was not free, there was a surcharge. Considering how most people live now, it would have been nice to have free wifi to access, I firmly believe this is something that should be offered with the price of a room in this day and age.
*****
The standout for me was the customer service at this hotel. Taryn took excellent care of the three of us ladies and even sent up a bottle of wine to help us celebrate our birthdays. They are ready at any moment to help you with any need, be it some plastic bags, some scissors, anything.
A big thank you to Taryn and her team for a great stay. We would definitely come back and are recommending it to the rest of our colleagues and friends for the future.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank saram23
TarynGEM, Guest Experience Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this review, December 22, 2009
Thank you so much for your amazing review! It was our pleasure having you at Mondrian and we do hope you will return soon. Please do not hesitate to contact me for anything. Best,
Taryn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (432)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
Austin, TX
Reviewed November 23, 2009

I would not recommend you stay here if you plan on sleeping before 2:00AM. The walls offer no shielding from the Skybar whatsoever. The walls are pretty thin anyway. We could easily hear our neighbors in other hotel rooms. The front desk would not change our room and could only offer us earplugs....nice.
We checked out the next morning and will never return.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nick-ATX
TarynGEM, Guest Experience Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this review, November 25, 2009
We are very sorry to hear that we were not as attentive to your needs as we could have been. Please help us understand what we can specifically do better so we get it right next time. We truly appreciate you taking the time to give us feedback.

Please feel free to contact me in the future, taryn.wolfe@morganshotelgroup.com
Reviewed November 23, 2009

My boyfriend surprised me with a night in the Mondrian while we were staying in West Hollywood. The service here was amazing and the staff were exceptionally attentive, as you would expect of a 5 star hotel in such a renowned part of LA. The hotel has valet parking facilities available or just over $30.

Our room was modern and stylish with great views over the city which were offset by floor to ceiling windows that ran the length of the wall. The bathroom was amazing and the facilities were just as plush as the rest of the room.

In the evening we had drinks in the lobby and sky bar which was vibrant and busy with not only hotel guests but a number of Hollywood locals. We knew the Sky bar was going to be a who’s who of LA but the hotel ensured all guests were able to gain access easily and we had no problems.

The surrounding area is great for experiencing all the glitz Hollywood has to offer. Chateau Marmont is only a stone throw away as well as other celebrity haunts such as the House of Blues (directly across the street), The Roxy and The Viper Room. We caught a cab in to Hollywood Blvd to see the tourist attractions along the walk of fame which only ended up being $10 each way - It is possible to walk but is quite a fair way so I would recommend taking a taxi if possible (the hotel can arrange this for you.)

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
We are so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. Please feel free to contact me in the future, taryn.wolfe@morganshotelgroup.com
Mannheim, Germany
Reviewed November 21, 2009

I've never been in such a hotel before,........excellent location,rooms,restaurant,......wow

Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with others. We are so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. Please feel free to contact me in the future, Taryn.
Reviewed November 3, 2009

I've read some of the poorer reviews for this hotel so it's interesting to contrast with our experience which was really as good as it gets. First up this is the Mondrian in LA so when you go there you need to remember where you are. Be cool, be confident and enjoy the vibe. It's an upscale hotel so when in Rome, make an effort. We arrived as part of a road trip down from San Fran and so my 4x4 SUV hire vehicle was covered in dust. However the valets were great. Very friendly got all our stuff up to the room with a friendly chat on the way. The suite was great and is worth the extra. Spacious, huge comfy beds, stylishly designed and with some well thought out features like the Bose Ipod dock, a sink and bar area and a great bathroom and shower. Only complaint is that the very cool looking TV/mirror had a bit of a hum sound problem. Unlike others who have posted reviews our experience of the Sky Bar was faultless. Being a Friday night there was a queue of limos into the hotel, but we dressed to the nines and went in after dinner at Mastro's in Beverly Hills. Arriving at 10.30pm we went in and as guests found we were already on a list and were taken straight through to a cordoned off table. There was a kind of front of house girl who kept coming around to check we were alright and she was lovely. I was surprised that compared to London and New York the vibe was very laid back and friendly and it was very easy to start conversations with people. We left the Mondrian feeling totally refreshed and as happy as could be. All in all the best experience of our road trip and as someone who works in the film biz this will be my hotel of choice in future stays in LA.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with others. We are so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and do hope will join us again soon. Best, Taryn
Sydney
Reviewed October 18, 2009

This is by far the best hotel that i have stayed at. From the moment we arrived at this hotel we knew we were in for something special.
The location is second to none and the service of the staff was top draw. Our room was very big and comfortable and had some great views of the Hollywood Hills. It is only a half hour walk or 5 minute taxi ride to the centre of hollywood which made it easy to do all the touristy things we had planned.
The Sky bar was one of the highlights of staying at this hotel and my visit to L.A. Sipping on a cocktail whilst soaking up the great atmosphere and fantastic city views is something that will definiteley make me return to this hotel.
All in all i would reccomend this hotel to anyone wanting to live it up in L.A.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
TarynGEM, Guest Experience Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this review, October 27, 2009
We are so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay. I do hope you contact us in the future if you are in Los Angeles as it would be our pleasure to have you join us again. Please feel free to contact me if you need anything.
taryn.wolfe@morganshotelgroup.com
Reviewed October 12, 2009

This was our 3rd stop on a tour of the West Coast. I booked the studio suite, which was beautifully decorated in a very modern and stylish way. The bathroom is tiny, but I actually found the water pressure to be quite good. I had read other reviews that said it was terrible, but that wasn't my experience. There is a "fancy" TV located in the centre of the room, which also doubles as a mirror, but I wouldn't use it for that function as it makes you look very orange. The TV itself can only be watched with the curtains drawn as the light reflects of the screen making it difficult to see. I did feel self conscious when checking in as I wasn't dressed up and everyone in the hotel seemed to be perfect. This is not the place to stay if you have any insecurities. I also found the prices in the hotel outrageous - $160 for a 30 minute massage when you can get one across the road for an hour for $85 and if you had breakfast in your room the price would have been around $80 . As for the Sky Bar, we were told if was for hotel guests and invited people only, but they let anyone in who's prepared to pay. The result is an overcrowded not very exclusive bar at all. There was also conflicting information regarding the sun loungers by the pool, you could reserve them, you couldn't, it was at the discretion of the pool attendant - basically put if you were prepared to pay the pool attendant you could have a sun lounger. The highlight of this hotel is Vincent who works at the indoor bar - he is a really nice genuine person and definitely worth getting to know. Overall I am indifferent. I liked it here, but I didn't feel special.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Glitterqueen2016
It looks like we made an impression…but it wasn’t the right one! How can we make this up to you?