“Service truly apalling - make sure you feel grateful to be staying there”

Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel
Ranked #12 of 19 Hotels in West Hollywood
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 17, 2009

Myself and my other half have been traveling for 6 weeks, as such have stayed in a variety of places from Motel 6 to The Wynn Las Vegas, and this is, dollar for dollar, by far the worst. I used to think as long as a room was impeccable and the location etc great then service was secondary. Not here.
When we checked in (in shorts and t shirts as we'd been travelling all day), initially the extremely snooty receptionist couldn't find the booking. Eventually found it, but not before looking us up and down and enquiring "are you SURE you are staying at the Mondriaaaaan". And yes, this is how he pronounced it. Secondly, after looking through his computer, clearly not having anything in the range we had booked, he told us about a fabulous upgrade he could give us... for an extra $100 a night. Call me cheap, but when I book a hotel I look at the options, if I wanted the more expensive room I'd have booked it, I don't like being made the feel like a cheapskate for refusing.
All of the reception staff were extremely snooty, as if you should feel supremely grateful to be staying in their hotel. He ended up having to upgrade us slightly anyway, to a corner room, but only on the 2nd floor, and the TV didn't work. They sent an engineer up to fix it, during which time we went out. When we got back it still wasn't fixed, and when I called they said they'd send another engineer up. Given it was 11pm I said that wasn't good enough and asked to be moved. The guy informed me that he didnt have anything else available in my price range. Like that's my problem? What kind of reception is that? If something doesn't work, you move someone, even if only the penthouse is available.
I kicked up a small fuss and we eventually got moved, funny how something manifests itself when you insist.
When we got back from dinner we decided to go for a drink at the Sky bar. One of the reason I'd decided to stay there was, because I like a nice, cool bar. I don't even mind if it's all a bit pretentious! But there was some VH1 event on so we weren't allowed in. We weren't even allowed to go to reception because there were press and slebs milling around. I suppose I might have contaminated them or something. Afteer all, I'm only the fool paying to stay in the place.
I don't normally like moaning about hotel service, and even if its a bit patchy it doesn't usually affect me, as long as the room is nice. But this hotel has categorically some of the worst service I've ever encountered, I've never been made to feel grateful to stay somewhere by some wannabe actor/receptionist and told I couldn't move from a defective rroom because they had nothing in the same price range. Maybe if you're spending $100 you can overlook it, but this is an expensive hotel. I would never give them the satisfaction of being able to ruin the final few days of our trip in the USA, but they have certainly tried, and it has left a bitter taste. I am unfortunately booked in for 4 nights and preppaid, so looks like I am stuck here.
As to the hotel itself, the pool area is very small, the pool itself is a token effort, not much bigger than an oversized hot tub. On a more positive note (is it possible), the location on Sunset is pretty good and the rooms are quite cool and spacious, though we too have a small bathroom. I don't mind small bathrooms at all (honestly despite what you read here, I'm actually pretty easy to please. I actually thought Motel 6 was very nice!) but dont advertise "oversize bathrooms" if that information is false.
You have to pay $10 for internet access, but valet parking seems to be free. I'll believe it when I check out.
So if you book this hotel, don't expect to be made to feel welcome. Unless your name is Brat Pitt of course. Then there'll be a red carpet rolled out to meet you.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank WellTravelled888
TarynGEM, Guest Experience Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2009

If you’re not happy, then we’re not happy! It’s our full-time job to make sure you have a good time at Mondrian and it seems that we have dropped the ball. How can we make this up to you?

I do hope you will afford us the opportunity to redeem ourselves. Please feel free to contact me anytime.

taryn.wolfe@morganshotelgroup.com

There are newer reviews for Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel

Reviewed July 1, 2009

We had already had a great time in SanFran and L.V hotels so was hoping that this too would finish a perfect holiday but we were disappointed. It was noisey by the pool we were never able to get a sun bed as the hotel is mobbed by the locals at the weekend. The place to be seen yes but not if your a tourist. The inside bar 3 nights in our stay was allocated for private parties so there was no where to sit in the evening unless you wanted to stand outside by the pool.
Seing tables reserved i asked how we could reserve a table by the pool in the evening we were told it cost $1000 and a 2 bottle minimum. I said "were guests" its same price
The brouchure and Net says an oversize bathroom yet ours was small and with no where to put your soap bags.
On the last day when i asked at reception were we could get a coffee i was tols its over there and its free. We had never been told of this on check in.
It was birthday holiday and in the other 2 hotels we were greated with happy birthday and gifts here not a mention.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank debsk9
Reviewed June 28, 2009

I've stayed at this particular Mondrian about six years ago and had an amazing time. However, I was really disappointed that upon check-in, I was told I wasn't on the group list (I was traveling with colleagues for a meeting held in the Mondrian) and that it wouldn't be a problem getting me a room. Well, of course not! I was put in the business center room (which meant that really, I could hear my meeting going on without leaving the room) and had people coming and going just outside my door to use the office center. I was even more disappointed when I went to take a shower and found used soap and a wet washcloth. Not cool!!! I once recommended staying here, now I will recommend my friends don't.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank SillybuttChicago
Reviewed June 17, 2009

We stayed at the Mondrian at the end of May for our wedding Anniversary. The reason we chose this hotel was that it was part of the Morgans Hotel Group and, having stayed with them a few times, we knew the experiences and customer service would be of the very highest standard.

On arrival, check in was quick and professional. The staff were very friendly and made us feel comfortable straight away .The lobby was cool and funky and I couldn’t wait to see our room. The elevator come straight away and was very sleek!

We got to our room and what a room!!!! Breathtakingly beautiful, the view was amazing .The room was everything we were expecting and much more. The TV in the mirror stand was a really nice touch and the bar area was cool, as was the sofa area. The bathroom was spacious and had everything you could ask for and the bed was so big and comfortable we didn’t want to get out of it!

Room service was efficient and friendly and the house keeping excellent. The room was always cleaned to perfection.

We popped down to the Sky bar and pool area; the deco and lighting were amazing! The drinks were lovely and the people watching was great as the evening got really busy and lively. The next day we chilled out by the pool and had lunch at Asia de Cuba where the food was excellent.

Concierge was very helpful and knowledgeable. They made reservations for our anniversay dinner and we had such a lovely evening I would like to thank Jason, Danielle and Greg for all there help.

We managed to get a tour of the hotel and all the rooms we saw were beautiful. I can’t understand why there are bad reviews as I have had first hand experience of the hotel and I can’t fault it. Customer service is exceptional and I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone.

Thanks to all the staff for making our stay so enjoyable and Taryn, thank you for all your help.

Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 8, 2009

Stayed here for 3 days at the end of a business trip. Hotel is stunning in terms of design but maybe a little over designed...the rooms are lovely though and bed very comfy. The staff are nice enough, its the clientele for me that let the stay down. Most of the guests belong on the set of 90210 if you asked me, if you want to go on holiday to pose and walk with a wiggle at the swimming pool in stilettos and a bikini, then this is the place for you. The prices in the hotel are very expensive, 14 dollars for a mojito for example, and room service is very expensive and service here was very slow. One good thing is the Ipod speakers in the room. Hotel is right next to Comedy Room on Sunset and also the House of Blues. It would cost around 15 dollars in a taxi to get to Hollywood Boulevard. Personally, I preferred the Hollywood Roosevelt hotel to this one for location, staff and overall enjoyment of stay. There was something unclassy and pretentious, even fake, about the Mondrian, but the Roosevelt had authentic glamour.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
TarynGEM, Guest Experience Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2009

Thank you so much for your feedback! I am so happy to hear you enjoyed our new room renovation and new design. It is very exciting when a fist time guest as yourself appreciates the new look and we appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us. I am very sorry about any inconvenience you experienced in slow service and I do hope you will provide us the opportunity to redeem ourselves. Please feel free to contact me anytime if you would like to return to Mondrian and experience the type of service you deserve. Please feel free to contact me at taryn.wolfe@morganshotelgroup.com .

Reviewed June 2, 2009

I'm staying at this hotel now, literally, I'm actually using the internet from my room, which I would've been overcharged with had I not brought my Sprint Wireless card with me. This hotel is gorgeous, but WAY too overpriced. This is my first time in Cali, and I plan on coming back every year for the E3 EXPO (definitely NOT at this hotel), but $32 a night for valet? Come on, give me a break! Before booking my ONE WEEK package, I wasn't told that it would cost $32 to put my RENTAL car that cost $20 a day away for the night. $23 for the WORST pizza and God only knows how much I was charged for opening up the Fiji Water. I don't mind "spending money", even if I DON'T have it, but not stupidly. This place is a RIP-OFF, the ONLY good thing is the DECOR which doesn't do anything for you anyways. I'm really frustrated about this stay. and it's SUPER loud at night. I still have 6 more nights to go :-(

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business

Thank you so much for your feedback. I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay with us. My sincere apologies for any inconvenience for the extra charge of valet, and for any noise you experience during your stay. I hope that you will afford us the opportunity to redeem ourselves. Please feel free to contact me at taryn.wolfe@morganshotelgroup.com

Reviewed May 30, 2009

I recently spent three nights at the Mondrian with a work colleague. I had a great experience at the London Hotel for pleasure a few weeks earlier, but my company requires that we stay at the Mondrian for trips to Los Angeles; I hope to change that travel policy asap.

Check-in was smooth but things fell apart swiftly thereafter. I stayed there several years ago before the re-design but have to say that the renovation is uninspiring at best...although I was on the 10th floor, there was a tremendous amount of noise coming from the pool late into the night...the concern here is more for the business generated by the bar than for people who need to sleep before midnight. Heaven help the people trying to sleep on lower floors!

Combine ugly interiors with an odd problem of no hot water (maintenance tried to address this issue with no success - and no, it wasn't a peak bathing time...took 15 minutes to get the water to turn hot at best) and mediocre, over-priced breakfasts and I will do my best to avoid this property in the future...take my advice and that of another recent reviewer and give the London a try. Same neighborhood, better prices, fabulous restaurant and QUIET.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business

It looks like we made an impression…but it wasn’t the right one! How can we make this up to you?

I do apologize for any inconvenience for the loud noise, during your stay. In the future I would be happy to assist you in a future stay and place your room away from Skybar. Many of our business travelers are very happy with these rooms as it keeps them away from the bar and excessive noise.

Please feel free to contact me at taryn.wolfe@morganshotelgroup.com

Also consider these accommodations in or near West Hollywood
#8 of 19 in West Hollywood
Le Montrose Suite Hotel
Le Montrose Suite Hotel
#13 of 19 in West Hollywood

Been to Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel? Share your experiences!