“Retro OVERPRICED Hotel”

Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel
Ranked #13 of 19 Hotels in West Hollywood
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed June 2, 2009

I'm staying at this hotel now, literally, I'm actually using the internet from my room, which I would've been overcharged with had I not brought my Sprint Wireless card with me. This hotel is gorgeous, but WAY too overpriced. This is my first time in Cali, and I plan on coming back every year for the E3 EXPO (definitely NOT at this hotel), but $32 a night for valet? Come on, give me a break! Before booking my ONE WEEK package, I wasn't told that it would cost $32 to put my RENTAL car that cost $20 a day away for the night. $23 for the WORST pizza and God only knows how much I was charged for opening up the Fiji Water. I don't mind "spending money", even if I DON'T have it, but not stupidly. This place is a RIP-OFF, the ONLY good thing is the DECOR which doesn't do anything for you anyways. I'm really frustrated about this stay. and it's SUPER loud at night. I still have 6 more nights to go :-(

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
TarynGEM, Guest Experience Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2009

Thank you so much for your feedback. I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay with us. My sincere apologies for any inconvenience for the extra charge of valet, and for any noise you experience during your stay. I hope that you will afford us the opportunity to redeem ourselves. Please feel free to contact me at taryn.wolfe@morganshotelgroup.com

Reviewed May 30, 2009

I recently spent three nights at the Mondrian with a work colleague. I had a great experience at the London Hotel for pleasure a few weeks earlier, but my company requires that we stay at the Mondrian for trips to Los Angeles; I hope to change that travel policy asap.

Check-in was smooth but things fell apart swiftly thereafter. I stayed there several years ago before the re-design but have to say that the renovation is uninspiring at best...although I was on the 10th floor, there was a tremendous amount of noise coming from the pool late into the night...the concern here is more for the business generated by the bar than for people who need to sleep before midnight. Heaven help the people trying to sleep on lower floors!

Combine ugly interiors with an odd problem of no hot water (maintenance tried to address this issue with no success - and no, it wasn't a peak bathing time...took 15 minutes to get the water to turn hot at best) and mediocre, over-priced breakfasts and I will do my best to avoid this property in the future...take my advice and that of another recent reviewer and give the London a try. Same neighborhood, better prices, fabulous restaurant and QUIET.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business

It looks like we made an impression…but it wasn’t the right one! How can we make this up to you?

I do apologize for any inconvenience for the loud noise, during your stay. In the future I would be happy to assist you in a future stay and place your room away from Skybar. Many of our business travelers are very happy with these rooms as it keeps them away from the bar and excessive noise.

Please feel free to contact me at taryn.wolfe@morganshotelgroup.com

Reviewed May 13, 2009

We stayed here in the last week of April. Upon arrival we were upgraded into a stunning room with spectacular views. We overlooked the swimming pool too which was great for people watching during the day - and there is plenty of that to be done here!
The hotel is hip, the room was extremely modern but also very comfortable and always cleaned well. On the whole the facilities were good - the shower was hit and miss and we needed to leave it running for ten minutes before any hot water came through which was a bit of a drag, not to mention a tremendous waste of water.

We found the staff very helpful too. We did have the constant feeling of not being quite "cool" enough for this place, and there was plenty of posing being done. Our room had seven mirrors which tells you something about its usual visitors! That said, they do what they do well, it does have an air of cool, but actually, everything else was good about it too and I have no real complaints. We thoroughly enjoyed our time there, we got a good deal on it and it was an experience.

Its location on sunset strip was excellent too especially for choice of restaurants and bars/clubs. We did LA without a car (yes, it can be done) and walked to Hollywood and got buses from practically outside the hotel to various other places such as Santa Monica and Malibu.

We did visit the Sky Bar which was fun although no celebrities there - only older people talking about their kids from the conversations I overheard which wasn't quite what I had been hoping for!

All in all our stay here was good, not at all the type of hotel we would usually stay in, and still not quite sure what to make of it, but a lot of fun.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple

We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us! Please feel free to contact me in the future as I would love to assist creating that same experience every time you stay if not better!

Reviewed May 13, 2009

This is definitely THE PLACE to stay if you're looking for a hip, fun and super-sexy experience in LA. We stayed for 2 nights in Deluxe Studio - one of the most exquisitely designed rooms with a funky-designed mirror/TV that reminded us of Alice in Wonderland. The bed was super comfortable w/luxurious sheets. Loved the Korres bathroom amenities from Greece. Hotel is located in the heart of Sunset Blvd, you can walk to the finest restaurants and hot spots including the one in this hotel, SKY BAR. We enjoyed an afternoon poolside cocktail and stopped by late night to check out the hollywood crowd. We can't wait to come back to LA and stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends

We are extremely pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and thank you so much for your valuable feedback. It is our job to ensure you have the best time while you’re with us and I would love it if you would afford us an opportunity again to do so. Please feel free to contact me in the future to facilitate another great experience.

Reviewed April 26, 2009

Do yourself a favor and head to the nearby London Hotel, a newer, nicer, more hip and also more "affordable" alternative. After staying for a week at the London, we felt like trying the competition and soon wished we hadn't.
The Mondrian is your typical bad value for money so-called design hotel. Staff is quite unprofessional given they charge upwards of 500$ per night. The recent remodel is a miss and rooms are extremely noisy, especially on week-ends.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Fabriceleparc
TarynGEM, Guest Experience Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2009

I am very sorry to hear you did not enjoy your time at the hotel and its many amenities, As SKYBAR continues to be one of Hollywood’s best nightspots and Asia De Cuba restaurant still serves up some of the best cuisine around. We are also happy to introduce our new destination bar/lounge, ADCB. Asia De Cuba Bar is located in our main lobby and includes a brand new tapas and sushi menu.

I am also very sorry our staff was not attentive to your needs and I would especially like to apologize for any lack of professionalism. As we pride ourselves on having extremely knowledgeable, professional, and friendly staff, it is disappointing to hear we missed the mark with you.

If you plan on returning to Los Angeles and would like to enjoy a unforgettable stay, please feel free to contact me.

Reviewed April 24, 2009

A friend and I just stayed at the Mondrian for five nights on vacation. It's a lovely hotel, very well decorated, but it shows it's age. The elevators are very slow, and the water pressure in the shower is terrible. The service was a little inconsistent ... one day the housekeepers did a fabulous job, even organizing my makeup and brushes for me. The next day they left garbage behind and didn't leave enough towels. If you need advice on where to dine out and find nightlife, don't ask the ladies at the concierge desk. If you ask where to go for breakfast they will just tell you to go to their restaurant which is a little over-priced for breakfast. If you ask which club to go to they will just tell you to go to Skybar. There is a gentleman who sits at a computer by the front door and if you ask him he will give you great advice on where to go. The valet service was good, but a little pricey at 32.00 a night for parking. The Skybar is a very nice lounge, great set-up and ambiance, but the bouncers were a little rude. On our 3rd night in a row visiting the bar we forgot our guest card and he turned us away and made us go back to our room to get our cards. Considering he'd seen us twice already it wasn't great service. Overall a nice hotel, but inconsistent service.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends
TarynGEM, Guest Experience Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2009

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience and feedback with us and I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed our new renovated rooms. It is however extremely disconcerting to me that a valued guest such as yourself did not experience the height of relaxation and elegance during your stay. We pride ourselves on outstanding service and take pleasure in being able to facilitate amazing experiences while you are staying, my sincere apologies if we failed.

We also pride ourselves on having a highly skilled and knowledgeable concierge team who can assist our guests with any information or arrangements for many of Los Angeles “hotspots” and unique, delectable restaurant choices. My sincere apologies if we made it difficult for you to utilize these services during your stay.

I would like to extend my apologies and offer my assistance in your future visit to Mondrian. Please feel free to contact me if you need anything and I can assure you the next visit to Mondrian will be an unforgettable one.

Reviewed April 22, 2009

To my delight when we arrived, the room was larger than I expected and with a better view! The bathroom was tiny, the large swiveling tv/mirror by the bed was awkward, albeit interesting. The bed was amazing. I was excited to read on a card by the bedside that "every day is earth day" -they would only change the towels you had laying on the floor. Apparently they would let you re-use any towels that were hanging to conserve energy and resources (a fabulous idea, as I believe changing all of your towels every day is a bit excessive).

Except... they didn't follow their own direction. All of the towels were changed every day, and one of the days they simply took the towels without replacing them with clean ones.

After calling down to have our car brought around (from the rather expensive $32 a night parking) at literally the same time each of the 5 days we stayed at the hotel, I'd go downstairs and on more than one occasion they'd "forgotten" to retrieve it.

I currently have a small business and was in town acquiring supplies, so I had a set budget in order to get everything done that I needed to in town. The hotel put such a large hold on my credit card (without my knowledge) that after three days it was maxed out. When confronted about this, they were evasive and more than one manager claimed they would call me back and didn't. What puzzled me the most is that they were holding money I was planning on spending at the hotel, but couldn't since it was on hold. I don't understand why anyone would want to lose business (especially in this economy), but apparently the Mondrian does.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business

The mission of our staff at Mondrian is to help you have the time of your life while you are a staying with us. We are crushed to find out that we missed the mark and want to make it up to you!

Also consider these accommodations in or near West Hollywood
Hollywood
The Hollywood Roosevelt
The Hollywood Roosevelt
#16 of 355 in Los Angeles

Been to Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel? Share your experiences!