New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel
Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in West Hollywood
GreenLeadersBronze level
Mexico City, Mexico
“Trendy hotel, terrible guest service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

I stayed here this summer. (June 3rd-une 23rd) it was a long stay ( 20 nights to be exact). I was simply visiting some friends in LA, not there for business, which means I was relaxed, and not very strict with my stay. The hotel is nicely decorated. The restaurant has good food, but is a little limited. Specially the room service menu. The valet parking was very welcoming, and the housekeeping lady in my room (516) was also nice, and attentive.

My negative opinion towards the hotel starts with the pool. It was as I already stated a long stay. I was able to get a pool bed only twice. The pool was completely full every time I came down. (Sometimes 10 am, sometimes 11 am.) I asked several times if I could reserve a pool bed a night before, and they told me that they didn't accept any reservations at the pool, but I saw a reserved sign several times. I had to ask Will the pool guy for a towel about three or four times, before he managed to get me one. I had to wait for the towel, obviously standing up (since there were no beds) for about 20 minutes.

During my checkout I called the bell boys to get my bags 30 minutes before I left. I waited during this time, and nobody came up, so I came down and told the receptionist that I was checking out and I needed somebody to pick my bags from the room. I had to wait for about 15 minutes until one of the receptionists went to get them herself.

Overall it was a pleasant stay, but you really need to step it up service wise, and specially do something about that pool ASAP, its what really bummed my stay here. Let guests do a reservation if you receive about 50 walk ins a day in your pool. I understand its a trendy, hip, youthful hotel, but excellent service is always imperative, and even more in a 20 night stay!

Mónica Hurtado Dovarganes

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
5 Thank Monica H
Luis S, Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Hi Mónica,

First thank you for choosing Mondrian LA for your travel accommodations. We have made some changes to how our pool area is manage including training for our staff. Your feedback is very important to me. Please feel free to reach out to me directly at MondrianLA@mhgc.com as I would like to get more information from you to better improve our service levels.

MondrianLA@mhgc.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (388)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
Hossegor, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

We spent 7 days her at the Mondrian in January and had a fantastic time. The rooms are fabulous big and very chic. The location is second to none in L.A and next door you have The House of Blues...what an experience. You have to stay here if in L.A!

Room Tip: All the rooms are great!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 123Luckyme
Hi 123Luckyme,

It is great to hear you had a great time with us. Please reach out to me the next time you choose to visit LA at MondrianLA@mhgc.com.

Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

This was my second trip to LA and first time staying at the Mondrian. The person I was going with has stayed a few times already. I booked a studio suite for a Saturday-Tuesday, then Friday-Sunday the next weekend (during the midweek we made plans to drive up to Napa and back). When we arrived, valet was on point and the service there was good. When we checked in though, they said they didn't have the room we booked, and they decided it was OK to downgrade us to a "standard room". We assumed it would still be ok considering the level of hotel, and for our hassle the next 2 nights we will be upgraded to a larger suite than a studio. Before going upstairs, we had a few drinks at Skybar which was really busy on a Saturday and was great for people watching and atmosphere. Once we went upstairs to shower and get ready for our dinner reservations, we walked into the room and noticed how TINY it was! It was literally size of a walk in closet, we would have never booked this room ever. When we went to shower we tried to use the rainfall shower and only cold water came out. The maintenance engineer had to come, he turned it the handle so the water came out of the regular showerhead and it was relatively warmer, enough to shower and he said he will fix it when we left for dinner. It seemed like a huge headache - getting downgraded to a room without hot water - while still paying $500 for the night (and being late for our dinner reservation with friends)! Onto the next morning, the front desk guy who checked us in said we should get a call around 10am for our next room. So we repack early in the morning and on the way down to breakfast we ask if it is ready (at 10am) they said no. We have breakfast and check back at 11:30am, still not ready. We leave our luggage perfectly packed ready to go, tell the front desk we are going for a day of shopping, so when the new room is ready just have a bellman move our luggage to the new room, and so when we come back we get the new keycard and that's it. We came back around 5pm, we go to the front desk and they said they had a new room ready but they didn't already move our luggage, so we had to wait for that to be done. The new room was much bigger and nicer so that was a relief. Although main area was big, the bathroom was still small though. As for the next day (the Monday), we spent it by the pool. The weather was great, and when I went down around 11am to ask the pool attendant if any of the lounge chairs were free. He looks around and says no but gave me some towels. I go into the pool for a bit and watch the lounge chairs and 2 pairs of chairs only had towels with no personal things, and no one was using them so I had to tell the attendant they were empty and to clean off the towels for us. The service for food/drinks at the pool was good, and overall good relaxing day at the pool. When we checked out, we got a $150 discount for the room without hot water, and they said when we return the next weekend we will get an upgraded room as well. When we arrived the next Friday for the 2 nights, we were told everything is sold out and we couldn't get the upgrade they told us they would give us. Instead we got a voucher for a complimentary breakfast at their restaurant ($50 value)... Overall my feeling is the design of the hotel is nice, definitely a seen-and-be-seen vibe, good looking people, party vibe, busy, good location, but the service can definitely be stepped up for this level of hotel. I felt they didn't want to go that extra step to make sure their guests felt like a priority and be as comfortable as possible. Next time I think I will try the SLS!

Room Tip: Don't book a standard room, get at least a studio. Also, view of the pool I think is better.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank AS5000
Luis S, Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this review, August 16, 2014
Hi AS5000,

Thank you for the feedback, although this is great feedback and I will address the issues you encountered here. I would love to speak to you directly. I can be reach at MondrianLA@mhgc.com.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

This hotel is built for the uber trendy; those wanna be actors, starlets and would-be producers who pose and preen by the pool or lounge hoping someone will take notice. That person would not be me. The rooms themselves are built not for function but to look cool. They lack function in and the hip Pillipe Stark designs are, well, stark. There is a huge mirror in each room that becomes a television set. I imagine the Hollywood hopefuls ask the magic mirror for fame and fortune before their trust funds run out. The menu is limited and not very tasty or exciting. I guess Hollywood hopefuls are only allowed to eat one leaf of lettuce. Don't bother trying to go for a swim, the topless starlets have taken all the lounge chairs. Don't go get a drink in the bar, you'll have to wait in line with the rest of the kids. The views are nice if and you may get some rest if you can get the curtains closed. The one saving grace is the exceptionally friendly and warm staff. I kept wanting to say, " what's a nice person like you doing working in a place like this?"

Room Tip: Depends on if you want a city view or to sleep.
Green Features: It has one? Maybe that's why it didn't seem too clean. They may be saving water.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Alexa R
Luis S, Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this review, August 10, 2014
Hello Alexar,

Thank you for you feedback, I will definitely pass along the feedback to the respective areas and address your concerns and comments. Please feel free to reach out to me directly should you ever return to LA.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

Have stayed here several times each year for the past 3 years, however this visit will be my last...the hotel has lost its edge, Rooms are clean and comfortable, however the decor is now looking dated and my room was in urgent need of renovating. Maybe, now that The W is opening next door, money will be spent on rejuvenation.
Most staff are friendly, but the staff with bad attitude I find rule. Maybe it is the norm in LA to be so blunt and aggressive.
Situation arose from the start. After a long flight from London, and then time to clear immigration, collect baggage and drive in the heat, I was thirsty.
No complimentary water (unless pay $US 14 for a small bottle go VOSS) in room. Very odd. Instead was told by reception that I could personally collect complimentary water from the front desk!
This is not the type of service expected of a 4 star hotel.
Breakfast: pricey. The packaged breakfast (such as continental breakfast) is no longer offered. Instead must order a la carte, which makes for a very expensive start to the day.
Service: mostly polite, however amateurs. The decor may scream dated designer/luxury but the service is better in Macdonalds..so slow, unprofessional, strained and disorganised...may I please have my toast and jam delivered at same time? Instead, I had to wait 20 minutes for jam to be send to me, at which time the toast went cold...had to wait another 10 minutes to get hot toast and jam simultaneously...total of 30 minutes.
I can't wait to check out and never come back..such a shame as had been so good for so long...not anymore...if planning to visit LA, suggesting to wait till W Hotel opens....don't bother!

Room Tip: ask for a quiet room as the hotel bar (Skybar) and common areas tend to be rather noisy with party-g...
Green Features: No comment as not sure about their environmental policies
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Flames1961
Hello Flames1961,

Thank you for your feedback as it is very important for us and take these matter seriously. Its disappointing to hear you didn't enjoy your stay with us after being a loyal guest of ours for 3 years. Please feel free to reach out to me directly as I would like to hear more feedback.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

I have been lucky enough to visit LA 4 times and the Mondrian is by far the best hotel I have stayed at.
Rooms are great - spacious and very clean. Great bathroom products and great views. Pool area is fab., there aren't a lot of tanning beds so if you are staying over a weekend, be sure to get down early. Great for couples, friends and even for a busines trip. The night life is also great! The pool area turns into a bar and the place comes alive. Have fun and enjoy the hotel, you wont want to leave

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Amy K
Hi Amy K,

Thanks for the great feedback, I am glad you enjoyed yourself while visiting LA. Please feel free to reach out to me in the future should your travels bring you back to LA. I can be reached at MondrianLA@mhgc.com.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to Mondrian LA.

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

Stayed here for two nights after flying in from Cuba. Was looking forward to some good old fashioned American service and attention to detail & The Mondrian did not disappoint! The rooms are supercool, spacious and user friendly. They are all suite style, with a lot of space, so you needn't worry about swinging your cat, or whatever other pet you choose.

The decor throughout the public areas is slightly whimsical without being over the top. We had lunch in the restaurant, which was fantastic, food & cocktails. The pool overlooks all of LA and is the best spot to watch the sunset over the smoggy city sipping a cold beer. On Saturday night the nightclub was pumping, with a massive line up to get in. Hotel guests are whisked to the front of the line however which is a novelty anywhere, but especially in West Hollywood where everyone is pretty, cool or connected (or all three). We met some locals over tequila shots and had a great night/morning.

The Concierge was very helpful in securing reservations at some trendy restaurants & pointing out what night spots would be best on any particular night. Definitely hit them up for hot tips.

Lastly, if you want to catch a glimpse of someone famous, you are in the right place. Mike Tyson was sauntering around & there were multiple camera crews darting around over the three days we were staying.

Great value too. Book it.

Room Tip: The view rooms are worth it.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
Hello Matt C,

I am happy you enjoyed your time with us and thank you for the great feedback. Please feel free to reach out to me directly in the near future should you visit LA area at MondrianLA@mhgc.com.