This was my second trip to LA and first time staying at the Mondrian. The person I was going with has stayed a few times already. I booked a studio suite for a Saturday-Tuesday, then Friday-Sunday the next weekend (during the midweek we made plans to drive up to Napa and back). When we arrived, valet was on point and the service there was good. When we checked in though, they said they didn't have the room we booked, and they decided it was OK to downgrade us to a "standard room". We assumed it would still be ok considering the level of hotel, and for our hassle the next 2 nights we will be upgraded to a larger suite than a studio. Before going upstairs, we had a few drinks at Skybar which was really busy on a Saturday and was great for people watching and atmosphere. Once we went upstairs to shower and get ready for our dinner reservations, we walked into the room and noticed how TINY it was! It was literally size of a walk in closet, we would have never booked this room ever. When we went to shower we tried to use the rainfall shower and only cold water came out. The maintenance engineer had to come, he turned it the handle so the water came out of the regular showerhead and it was relatively warmer, enough to shower and he said he will fix it when we left for dinner. It seemed like a huge headache - getting downgraded to a room without hot water - while still paying $500 for the night (and being late for our dinner reservation with friends)! Onto the next morning, the front desk guy who checked us in said we should get a call around 10am for our next room. So we repack early in the morning and on the way down to breakfast we ask if it is ready (at 10am) they said no. We have breakfast and check back at 11:30am, still not ready. We leave our luggage perfectly packed ready to go, tell the front desk we are going for a day of shopping, so when the new room is ready just have a bellman move our luggage to the new room, and so when we come back we get the new keycard and that's it. We came back around 5pm, we go to the front desk and they said they had a new room ready but they didn't already move our luggage, so we had to wait for that to be done. The new room was much bigger and nicer so that was a relief. Although main area was big, the bathroom was still small though. As for the next day (the Monday), we spent it by the pool. The weather was great, and when I went down around 11am to ask the pool attendant if any of the lounge chairs were free. He looks around and says no but gave me some towels. I go into the pool for a bit and watch the lounge chairs and 2 pairs of chairs only had towels with no personal things, and no one was using them so I had to tell the attendant they were empty and to clean off the towels for us. The service for food/drinks at the pool was good, and overall good relaxing day at the pool. When we checked out, we got a $150 discount for the room without hot water, and they said when we return the next weekend we will get an upgraded room as well. When we arrived the next Friday for the 2 nights, we were told everything is sold out and we couldn't get the upgrade they told us they would give us. Instead we got a voucher for a complimentary breakfast at their restaurant ($50 value)... Overall my feeling is the design of the hotel is nice, definitely a seen-and-be-seen vibe, good looking people, party vibe, busy, good location, but the service can definitely be stepped up for this level of hotel. I felt they didn't want to go that extra step to make sure their guests felt like a priority and be as comfortable as possible. Next time I think I will try the SLS!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Mondrian LA is a parallel universe of perpetual possibility. Rejuvenated by Benjamin Noriega-Ortiz, this luxury boutique hotel in the heart of West Hollywood captures everything the Strip stands for - excitement, invincibility and glamour. Entering Mondrian through its signature, thirty-foot mahogany doors, guests will find the recently expanded lobby, accented with hues of deep purple and complemented by custom-designed furniture, a Lucite indoor swing and a mushroom-inspired concierge desk. Complimentary high speed wireless internet access is offered in the lobby. Ivory On Sunset, a restaurant which is a collaboration with John Terzian of The h.wood Group, Built Inc. and Hakkasan Group, celebrates California cuisine and comfort foods to encourage diners to embrace the restaurant's communal philosophy, while our Lobby Bar serves a full cafe menu in the morning and small plates in the evening. Up in the sky, amid the clouds of Los Angeles, guests can enjoy the stunning view from our Skybar lounge, Los Angeles' mainstay for nightlife. Exxhibit Boutique, our gift shop, offers curated items tailored for the LA scene. Mondrian is located right on the Sunset Strip, close to Fox Studios, Paramount Pictures, Staples Center, Dodgers Stadium, Hollywood Hills, Santa Monica, Rodeo Drive and Getty Museum. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ Supplier Direct, Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, Agoda, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, HotelsforEveryone, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel West Hollywood
- Mondrian Hotel West Hollywood