“Good but not Great”

Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel
Ranked #12 of 19 Hotels in West Hollywood
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 17, 2008

Checking into hotel wasn't great after a long flight from London as the children were given one double bed for three children but after telling the check-in desk lady and housekeeping a couple of times eventually we were given a sofa bed and a rollaway bed. Stayed in studio suite which was nice but fairly claustraphobic with the massive mirror/TV taking up a lot of space however i liked the mondrians modern feel. Staff were very courteous and friendly throughout and the hotel is well located

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
TarynGEM, Guest Experience Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 15, 2008

Thank you so much for your wonderful feedback. As you know from your previous stay Mondrian has recently undergone a 35 million dollar refurbishment with our re-launch taking place in September of 2008. We have totally renovated and redesigned all 237 of our guest rooms which now include flat screen TV’s, IPOD Docking Stations, business desks, hardwood flooring, rain showers and some rooms with Jacuzzi tubs. As well we have introduced new mattresses, terry, linen and robes.

In addition we have completely replaced our heating/air conditioning system and all plumbing in the hotel. As we are centrally located in the heart of the Sunset Strip we also installed double-paned sound proof windows in all of our guest rooms.

As SKYBAR continues to be one of Hollywood’s best nightspots and Asia De Cuba restaurant still serves up some of the best cuisine around, we are happy to introduce our new destination bar/lounge, ADCB. Asia De Cuba Bar is located in our main lobby and includes a brand new tapas and sushi menu.

Whether you had an awesome visit or not so great experience with us before, we are confident you will love us now.

Please feel free to contact me anytime so I may be able to assist you with more affordable accommodations while you are with us.

There are newer reviews for Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel

Reviewed August 12, 2008

I just arrived from Asia, a very long flight, and was glad to be checking into a Morgan Hotel. As always, the front office staff were courteous and they upgraded me to a large suite on the top floor (I guess to be expected considering the price they charged me for that weekend). They are under some renovation but they seem to hide it quite well. The pool area was truly over-packed, but at least most of the people were good looking so I had a hard time deciding if I liked being squished in with all these people or not. All-in-all not a bad experince but not value for your money.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 7, 2008

I stayed at the Mondrian for one night, Saturday. Although the hotel undergoes major reconstruction, the work rests over the weekend. We were not bothered by it at all. The hotel is an ideal location for a weekend trip to LA, the Sky Bar and the restaurant are excellent choices for drinks and food, the rooms are very nice and although in the center of Hollywood, not noisy.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

We are so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. In the future please feel free to contact me so I can make your next stay even more memorable.

Reviewed July 31, 2008

The hotel is currently undergoing renovations, but we knew that in advance. They did a good job of hiding the construction from the guests. The staff is very friendly and we had a good stay. The room is new. The view from the back side rooms overlooking the City are nice. We booked the suite which, on the website, lists the square footage of the balcony. I did notice that the room next to ours had a balcony twice the size, but the room was not a suite. So, you should decide which is more important for your stay: a larger room, or, a larger balcony.
We did have an issue with the staffs' internal communications: I had asked about the room prior to arrival and twice recieved, which I only found out until arrival, incorrect information. Secondly, as I found that the wine list did not list our favorite bottle, I asked if I could bring my own bottle to the pool and have them uncork it for a fee: the answer was yes - until the next day when I arrived at the pool with my bottle. Then the answer was, "we dont' do that anymore". It took them until much later to say that, indeed they do not uncork, but they would accomodate me.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Thank you so much for your feedback. I am so sorry once again for the confusion with the wine and the corkage fee. Every operation needs to be to practice good internal communications and in this instance we were defianetly reminded of such. The mission of our staff at Mondrian is to help you have the time of your life while you are a staying with us and we are crushed to find out that we missed the mark and want to make it up to you. Please feel free to contact me in the future.

Reviewed July 24, 2008

I was going to travel to the US for my bday with some friends and i chose to go to LA and vegas. I always search a lot before i book a hotel, pay more attention to location and hotel stadard. In general i am a boutique-hotel fan. At first i was a bit reluctant on this hotel because of its rates (for example a hotel NEXT DOOR to mondrian was almost half the price and decent enough!) but then i thought i will stay there as it looked fabulus and couldnt resist!!

1) very friendly staff, good service. they had upgraded us to a junior suite because our normal room was still renovating!!
2) fantastic, fully renovated rooms with beautiful views of LA city
3) nice pool area (not many sunbeds so especially on weekends make sure you go there early)
4) excellent berakfast- restaurant
5) nice crowd
6) the sky bar!! even if there are so many things to do at night in LA, you would always find some time to have a coctail at the sky bar.
7) perfect location!

The only drawback of this hotel is its value and the fact that you pay for EVERYTHING there (parking, breakfast etc) and the tips you have to give practicly every FIVE minutes!

but i think it was worth it!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

So happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. In the future please feel free to contact me so I can stear you in the right direction to our most affordable rates.

Reviewed July 18, 2008

My partner and I spent a long weekend at the Mondrian in West Hollywood in June. Having stayed at several Morgans Group properties (most recently at the Delano in Miami Beach), we picked the Mondrian for its style and design; and the Mondrian did not disappoint for style and design.

Upon arrival after a long flight from New York, we had lunch at the airy Skybar overlooking the hotel pool and were magically transported to the tropics. Our corner suite was extremely spacious, beautifully-appointed, and had the latest technology, including an entertainment center that made it possible to watch TV or a DVD anywhere in the suite. The bed was perfect and we especially loved the cosmetics set from KORRES in Greece.

The lobby was playful as befits Philippe Starck’s designs. We had sushi one evening at the Seabar, a 35-foot long communal table off the main lobby which is best described by the photos we took and happily share with the Tripadvisor community.

Having read several reviews of the hotel on Tripadvisor before we booked, I noted that the staff’s attitude (‘snooty,’ ‘arrogant,’) had been a frequent theme. Attitude would have not been a concern for me and, indeed, it turned out that was not at all the problem. The problem was that, overall, the staff was clueless about service.

Perhaps some people will overlook service and be content to be given the opportunity to live in the enchanted world of Philippe Starck for a few days. This is not our case, and for a rate of over $600 a night, we expected a higher level of professionalism and service.

We arrived at the hotel a little after 1pm after a six-hour flight and, while we had no expectation our suite would be necessarily ready before the check-in time of 2pm, we were surprised by the defensive attitude of the check-in associate who informed us it takes a very long time to turn around a suite between check-out and check-in. It turns out we were the first guests to stay in the suite after its renovation (the hotel was under renovation but you would only know it from the daytime construction noise, not from an apology or, heaven forbid, a complimentary drink to make up for any inconvenience).

The wired internet in the suite was not working and the concierge whom I called seemed to know less about wired and wireless connections than I know about quantum physics. He promised he would send a technician, who never came. We hailed a technician the next morning from the construction crew just outside our suite who offered we were the first guests to stay in the suite after its renovation.

The icing on the cake came at breakfast on our day of departure. Breakfast is served at Asia de Cuba indoors and outdoors near the pool; we sat outdoors. We ordered huevos rancheros, a dish that contains onions and beans as well as eggs. The attitude of our middle-aged waiter was reminiscent of the Greek diner on Saturday Night Live. And indeed, so was the coffee which was being served in a coffee pot one would only expect to see in a diner. The coffee was horrendous and we sent it back as unacceptable. After we finished our eggs, we expected a change of plates and silverware so we could switch to our croissants and jams; none arrived and, when I called the waiter, he seemed surprised we needed new plates. I had to tell him I do not like to serve jam on a plate that has onions in it to get him to bring us new plates.

It was the worst $75 breakfast for two in memory; so much so, that I decided to call the food-and-beverage manager and discuss our experience while checking-out. If he cared at all about what I was telling him, he hid it very well.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank EANYC
TarynGEM, Guest Experience Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2008

We are very sorry to hear that we were not as attentive to your needs as we could have been. Please help us understand what we can specifically do better so we get it right next time. We truly appreciate you taking the time to give us feedback.

Please feel free to contact us so we can provide you with the service you deserve.

Reviewed July 11, 2008

Stayed there for two days in July. It was during the renovation but staff throughout were all excellent.

Refitted rooms were absolutely amazing - my giant mirror turned into the TV - and the facilities were good.

The food was faultless and the pool area/Skybar had stunning views over the city.

Go there.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank CAW1971

So pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay. Please come back soon so we can so you what else is new with Mondrian!

Also consider these accommodations in or near West Hollywood
#8 of 19 in West Hollywood
Le Montrose Suite Hotel
Le Montrose Suite Hotel
#13 of 19 in West Hollywood

Been to Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel? Share your experiences!