The Mondrian was recommended by a couple of people – it also has the reputation of being a cool hotel – I wanted to spend a couple of days in a nice environment with a good view concentrating on some writing after four hectic days at a trade show in Las Vegas.
I booked a junior suite with a balcony for $419 a night.
The view was stunning! There were wall-to-ceiling windows, so you could see it from wherever you were pretty much, and the room was spacious and well designed with a large white sofa and funky table in the lounge area, a decent sized desk and everything you needed to be holed up for a couple of days … including a fast, free internet, a good selection of movies on demand, a very well stocked minibar and an impressive array of snacks and goodies.
I felt really comfortable in the room. The only thing letting it down was the bath itself .. which was completely incongruous with the rest of the space! It had one of those tacky UPVC slider doors – the bath tub itself was small and pokey and in fact you could not use it as a batch as the plug was not watertight.
As a shower didn’t function particularly well in terms of body coverage, and because of the sliding doors, it felt very claustrophobic!
If I’d been designing the rooms, I would have installed a large glass shower so you could also see the view whilst in it … or located the bathtub in a position where the scenery could also be appreciated while having a relaxing soak in the bath!
The pool deck is currently under refurbishment . but even in this state, it was a really awesome looking space – and this is where you can see the famous sunsets looking down over West Hollywood. I didn’t have time to stay there or even sit down and enjoy it as I was too busy at that time of day, but I did take a good look around.
I popped down to the bar early evening on the second night to take a break from the work, but I didn’t feel comfortable there. I’m not sure if it was in a temporary state because of the refurb, because the Mondrian is too cool for its own good or because it was Thanksgiving week and therefore subdued in the hotel … but the bar tenders were superficially friendly, there were two women down one end having a loud conversation about their ailments and a guy sitting nervously on one of the sofas engrossed in his smartphone! Not much of a vibe!
Instead I went back up to the room and ordered some room service – which was a vegetarian club sandwich. This was bland and completely average – it came with a huge heap of tasteless fries! For some reason I had imagined that the food would be beautifully crafted, organically healthy and presented like a work of art – but that was obviously just an image in my head.
The shop in the lobby has some fabulous accessories and bits, the guy in there was really friendly and in fact I spent about 600 dollars effortlessly on some cool stuff!
I left early the next morning to fly to Mexico City.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Mondrian LA is a parallel universe of perpetual possibility. Rejuvenated by Benjamin Noriega-Ortiz, this luxury boutique hotel in the heart of West Hollywood captures everything the Strip stands for - excitement, invincibility and glamour. Entering Mondrian through its signature, thirty-foot mahogany doors, guests will find the recently expanded lobby, accented with hues of deep purple and complemented by custom-designed furniture, a Lucite indoor swing and a mushroom-inspired concierge desk. Complimentary high speed wireless internet access is offered in the lobby. Ivory On Sunset, a restaurant which is a collaboration with John Terzian of The h.wood Group, Built Inc. and Hakkasan Group, celebrates California cuisine and comfort foods to encourage diners to embrace the restaurant's communal philosophy, while our Lobby Bar serves a full cafe menu in the morning and small plates in the evening. Up in the sky, amid the clouds of Los Angeles, guests can enjoy the stunning view from our Skybar lounge, Los Angeles' mainstay for nightlife. Exxhibit Boutique, our gift shop, offers curated items tailored for the LA scene. Mondrian is located right on the Sunset Strip, close to Fox Studios, Paramount Pictures, Staples Center, Dodgers Stadium, Hollywood Hills, Santa Monica, Rodeo Drive and Getty Museum. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ Supplier Direct, Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Cancelon, HotelsforEveryone, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel West Hollywood
- Mondrian Hotel West Hollywood