“Not much substance - new rooms not bad though”

Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel
Ranked #12 of 19 Hotels in West Hollywood
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 1, 2008

It is obvious that Mondrian plays on its reputation as " cool, singles scene" hotel and in all fairness that is the audience its management/owner primarily targets.

However, there were several operational shortcomings during my stay, along with some arrogance from the staff that made the stay less than excellent considering the rate (400 USD/night).

There is still construction work going on, mostly on the facade of the building, though xthe entrance/lobby is less than what is to be expected for a supposedly five-star hotel. The wireless internet connection hardly worked from my room (one of the upper floors), and even with a signal booster it was hardly acceptable reception.

Some of the staff is alright, but the other half seems more interested in playing actors than providing customer service - in particular one representative which was unprofessional at several occasions addressing guests in an informal manner.

The level of room service is acceptable - nothing more. Sky Bar does provide excellent views over LA, and if you're into the party pool scene and care more about having fun than five star service this is for you (up to early 30's crowd posing). The newly renovated rooms are spacious and very comfortable, and the shower excellent. However, there is no separation between the bathroom/toilet and the rest of the hotel room which is probably some LA "Californication" guy's interior designers of a hedonist hangout - it just comes across as cheap though.

It is clear that Mondrian is living on its reputation, and by any standards it is not a bad hotel property - but the hotel is undoubtedly overpriced for what it offers. Compared to its sister hotel Delano in Miami this is a bleak shadow in terms of the Schrager experience.

• Stayed: June 2008
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
TarynGEM, Guest Experience Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 15, 2008

Thank you so much for your valuable feedback. As we pride ourselves on being extremely unique while upholding a fun prefessional demeanor we are disappointed that we fell short while you were with us. If you’re not happy, then we’re not happy! It’s our full-time job to make sure you have a good time at Mondrian and it seems that we have dropped the ball. How can we make this up to you?

Please feel free to contact me anytime.

Reviewed June 24, 2008

After reading a number of reviews - mixed - on the hotel, I was very pleasantly surprised during my stay there. It was clean, service was excellent, the restaurant Asia de Cuba was outstanding (both food and service and also surprisingly good value for money). Skybar was a lovely setting but pricey. Some really good bars nearby are a good deal cheaper. Great location for exploring.
The downside to this was when Skybar emptied (2-3am) it got a bit noisy. It was particularly rowdy after a Saturday night with revellers messing about loudly in the corridors. Almost felt like hearing an episode from the Hills! During the week (Sunday to Wednesday) it was significantly quieter - almost peaceful. Definitely enjoyed it and the ongoing building work did not spoil our stay at all. Just ensure you ask for one of the renovated rooms!!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Thank you so much for your valuable feedback.

In regards to the noise you experienced from Skybar we have rectified the problem by installing double-paned sound proof windows in all of our guest rooms.

Whether you had an awesome visit or not so great experience with us before, we are confident you will love us now.

Please feel free to contact me for anything.

Reviewed May 24, 2008

As a big fan of the bars in these Morgans/Schrager hotels, we stayed in the Mondrian for a night mostly so we could use the Skybar freely (and because it was convenient-enough to the airport). The bar was about what you'd expect - amazing view, good drinks, good staff, crowd of LA people - and the hotel was, too.

That is to stay, most of the staff were fairly friendly, in a sort of condescending, "I'm not really a person who works at a hotel" kind of way, but they were attentive. The rooms have lots of high-tech gadgetry (flat screen TV hidden behind a mirror, Bose iPod dock) but are tiny. Great minibar stocked with a lot of good stuff, for usual minibar prices. I hear that eating Asia de Cuba by the pool is a real pleasure, but we didn't get to do that.

So, if you stay at the Mondrian, you get kind of what you expect - a "cool" sort of property that will probably make you feel out of place if you're over 35 or don't otherwise fashion yourself to be hip. Unless your sense of self-worth revolves around your choice of hotel, there are probably a lot of properties in LA that are less expensive and have bigger rooms. Even among the hip hotels, I would prefer the Standard to the Mondrian overall.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jlb3
Reviewed May 19, 2008

Do not stay here and expect some great value - I think our breakfast was almost $100 (it was good though). The restaurant, Asia de Cuba, is good - try the butterfish. The staff was rude - we asked for directions and they were condescending. I believe this type of service is taught within Morgan Hotels Group. Numerous reviews commented on the bad service and I must confess that it's true. If you are spending $600 or $1000 a night - you expect top notch service. The club is good but you have to be there on the right night. One great thing - the rooms have spectacular views but it's still not worth it.

• Stayed: March 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
TarynGEM, Guest Experience Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2008

The mission of our staff at Mondrian is to help you have the time of your life while you are a staying with us. We are crushed to find out that we missed the mark and we want to make it up to you!

Please feel free to contact me so we can provide the service you deserve.

Reviewed May 14, 2008

The bar,the lobby the pool scene is all very nice, very modern.İt has that fresh,sunny LA feeling.People are coming and going all the time just hanging out at the bar.Location obviously perfect on Sunset.The room was a different deal though,it was old and not elegant at all and the prices were too elevated to my taste.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
TarynGEM, Guest Experience Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2009

Mondrian has recently undergone a 35 million dollar refurbishment with our re-launch taking place in September of 2008. We have totally renovated and redesigned all 237 of our guest rooms which now include flat screen TV’s, IPOD Docking Stations, business desks, hardwood flooring, rain showers and some rooms with Jacuzzi tubs. As well we have introduced new mattresses, terry, linen and robes.

In addition we have completely replaced our heating/air conditioning system and all plumbing in the hotel. As we are centrally located in the heart of the Sunset Strip we also installed double-paned sound proof windows in all of our guest rooms.

As SKYBAR continues to be one of Hollywood’s best nightspots and Asia De Cuba restaurant still serves up some of the best cuisine around, we are happy to introduce our new destination bar/lounge, ADCB. Asia De Cuba Bar is located in our main lobby and includes a brand new tapas and sushi menu.

Reviewed May 9, 2008

The hotel is undergoing refurbishment and I stayed in one of the newly finished rooms which was great. If you choose to stay at this hotel I guess you are looking for an experience outside of the ordinary and the hotel delivers. The sky bar is fabulous and the atmosphere very relaxed and laid back. It is a non corporate place although alot of business going on. I will be back.

• Stayed: April 2008
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

We are so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and hope we can provide the same experience next time…if not BETTER!

Please feel free to contact me in the future so I can assist you with your accommodations.

Reviewed April 27, 2008

I bid on Priceline for a 4-star hotel in West Hollywood/Beverly Hills. I won the Mondrian for $185/night. Therefore, I was a little concerned.

I had a late flight and arrived at the hotel to see a dimly-lit, sexy-looking lobby, with "a celebrity" and "beautiful people" milling about partying. I thought, "Hey, this is great!" WRONG! I thought I would be enjoying a king suite. The room actually had 2 TWIN beds, loud street noise, stained carpeting, loud HVAC, and a running toilet. I was disgusted. Management told me there were no other rooms available. I got little sleep that night due to the street noise.

Management changed my room the next night. The king suite was only marginally better; it also had stained carpeting. There was a kitchen of sorts but no microwave that I could find.

Though centrally located for my purposes, I would not stay at the Mondrian again. I would not recommend this hotel. I will NOT use Priceline for my next trip. I have heard that Priceline customers get the worst rooms. I do not want to sacrifice comfort for price.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank 8NoTrump
TarynGEM, Guest Experience Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2008

We are confident you will enjoy your experience when you return. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Also consider these accommodations in or near West Hollywood
#8 of 19 in West Hollywood
Le Montrose Suite Hotel
Le Montrose Suite Hotel
#13 of 19 in West Hollywood

Been to Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel? Share your experiences!