It is obvious that Mondrian plays on its reputation as " cool, singles scene" hotel and in all fairness that is the audience its management/owner primarily targets.
However, there were several operational shortcomings during my stay, along with some arrogance from the staff that made the stay less than excellent considering the rate (400 USD/night).
There is still construction work going on, mostly on the facade of the building, though xthe entrance/lobby is less than what is to be expected for a supposedly five-star hotel. The wireless internet connection hardly worked from my room (one of the upper floors), and even with a signal booster it was hardly acceptable reception.
Some of the staff is alright, but the other half seems more interested in playing actors than providing customer service - in particular one representative which was unprofessional at several occasions addressing guests in an informal manner.
The level of room service is acceptable - nothing more. Sky Bar does provide excellent views over LA, and if you're into the party pool scene and care more about having fun than five star service this is for you (up to early 30's crowd posing). The newly renovated rooms are spacious and very comfortable, and the shower excellent. However, there is no separation between the bathroom/toilet and the rest of the hotel room which is probably some LA "Californication" guy's interior designers of a hedonist hangout - it just comes across as cheap though.
It is clear that Mondrian is living on its reputation, and by any standards it is not a bad hotel property - but the hotel is undoubtedly overpriced for what it offers. Compared to its sister hotel Delano in Miami this is a bleak shadow in terms of the Schrager experience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Mondrian LA is a parallel universe of perpetual possibility. Rejuvenated by Benjamin Noriega-Ortiz, this luxury boutique hotel in the heart of West Hollywood captures everything the Strip stands for - excitement, invincibility and glamour. Entering Mondrian through its signature, thirty-foot mahogany doors, guests will find the recently expanded lobby, accented with hues of deep purple and complemented by custom-designed furniture, a Lucite indoor swing and a mushroom-inspired concierge desk. Complimentary high speed wireless internet access is offered in the lobby. Ivory On Sunset, a restaurant which is a collaboration with John Terzian of The h.wood Group, Built Inc. and Hakkasan Group, celebrates California cuisine and comfort foods to encourage diners to embrace the restaurant's communal philosophy, while our Lobby Bar serves a full cafe menu in the morning and small plates in the evening. Up in the sky, amid the clouds of Los Angeles, guests can enjoy the stunning view from our Skybar lounge, Los Angeles' mainstay for nightlife. Exxhibit Boutique, our gift shop, offers curated items tailored for the LA scene. Mondrian is located right on the Sunset Strip, close to Fox Studios, Paramount Pictures, Staples Center, Dodgers Stadium, Hollywood Hills, Santa Monica, Rodeo Drive and Getty Museum. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ Supplier Direct, Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Hotels.com, Hotwire, HotelsforEveryone, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel West Hollywood
- Mondrian Hotel West Hollywood